Skip to content

Err is there an accuracy bug in sod?

Several times through out the game my char would miss with really high rolls like 23 and above. My char has a low thaco of like 2 and much lower fully buffed and she would still miss with high rolls. I missed A LOT against the last boss and I checked his AC and it's -12. At the time my char had a thaco of like -1 or lower. I'm not sure. All I know is that even from stealth I would miss a lot against him.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Comments

• rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited April 2016
    -12 Thaco is very high. Thaco works backwards of BAB (aka "Base Attack Bonus"). BAB is what 3E and beyond use to aid in calculating rolls. The more negative a Thaco is, the easier it is to roll for a sucessful attack. By contrast, BAB is better, the more positive it is.

However, that all said, Thaco is compared against AC. Again, in 2E, the more negative AC is, the better. So, your -1 Thaco is being measured against whatever the final boss's AC is. It's your Thaco roll against his AC. If your Thaco roll isn't higher than his AC, you miss.
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    edited April 2016
    First of all, you don't understand to-hit rolls. You can't roll a 23. It's a 20-sided dice...

Secondly, if you have a THAC0 of 2 and the boss has an AC of -12, you need to roll a 14 or above in order to hit him. That's roughly a ~35% chance to hit, so yes you are going to miss alot.

If you have a THAC0 of -1, you need to roll an 11, which is a ~50% chance to hit. Doesn't help much.
  • Nocturnal_JesterNocturnal_Jester Member Posts: 7

First of all, you don't understand to-hit rolls. You can't roll a 23. It's a 20-sided dice...

I understand to-hit rolls. I was talking about the end result. It was 8 + 15 = 23

How do you explain missing with a 23 if all I need to hit him is 14?

Take into account the stealth bonus and a potion of power as well.
  • Nocturnal_JesterNocturnal_Jester Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2016
    Nvm lol I think I got mixed up. I understood all of this perfectly 10 years ago or so. Bah

I remember how all of it works now.

This thread can be closed.

:)
This discussion has been closed.