Skip to content

Reinstalling BG:EE mods after 2.1 - mixed results

JobacNoorJobacNoor Member Posts: 3
edited April 2016 in Troubleshooting
So, after 2.1 hit something seemed to go horribly wrong as the game first refused to launch at all. In hindsight I should've written down the error message that popped up since I no longer remember what it was, but I did a clean reinstall from scratch which solved THAT issue.

Then I ran the modmerge tool and proceeded to reinstall what mods I had before and in the exact same order that they were installed prior. The good news is that the game now launches and starting a new game seems to work just fine with modded content showing up and working as it's supposed to. The bad news is that my old saves made in 2.0 get all wonky, mostly in regards to dialogue. Lines showing up as simply "invalid", a mod NPC at the Friendly Arm Inn having some random line of dialogue as his name when moused over and suddenly launching into a voiced conversation about Caelar Argent when spoken to that's probably from SoD etc.

Now none of my existing games were terribly far along, so starting over isn't as complete of a disaster as it could be, but it would obviously be preferable to continue the saves I already have, or at least nice to figure out if it's possible to avoid this in the future when I might be 50 hours deep into a playthrough when a patch hits.

FWIW, I'm playing the Steam version and using the following mods:

BG1NPC Project + Music Pack
Romantic Encounters
Unfinished Business
BG2Tweaks
Rogue Rebalancing

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    As a rule, it's never a good idea to try resuming old saves after an update, let alone modded old saves; bug-fixes and modifications can change the position of scripted lines, so that everyone starts talking crazy. Best to start fresh.
    JobacNoor
  • JobacNoorJobacNoor Member Posts: 3
    shawne said:

As a rule, it's never a good idea to try resuming old saves after an update, let alone modded old saves; bug-fixes and modifications can change the position of scripted lines, so that everyone starts talking crazy. Best to start fresh.

Ah. Oh well.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Yeah that's the thing especially with mods if they are installed at all differently or if a patch changes dialogue, then your dialogue pointer references get all hosed up.