Skip to content

How old were you when you got BG?

Comments

• PinkRosePinkRose Member Posts: 102
    I would have been 23.
    And my first game I can remember, Anteater, on my Grandfather's Vic 20.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anteater_(video_game)
    However, my mom says I burnt out the Hospital's Atari while I was in & out of the hospital between '78 and '81. I was a sick kid. Video games helped me pass the time.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    I was 11. I remember playing it constantly with a dictionary.
  • egalor_originalegalor_original Member Posts: 92
    I was 19 (late in 1999). Ah, those golden times :)
  • allhailsteveallhailsteve Member Posts: 210
    I was 18 in 1998 when I bought it whilst at University
  • netlichnetlich Member Posts: 6
    Bought it in my university years - suffice to say that the uni did not see much of me or my roomates. We would take a break from the Greyhawk D&D campaign I was running for them to play MORE D&D. If I remember correctly this must be the first time i had a D&D experience online - and it was with a modem - bell sounds and white noise and everything...That would make me 22-23 at the time with a good decade of pen and paper D&D already under my belt....
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201

Sorry if that sounded rude, i didn't mean it to :-). I was teasing. Yes i bought the game the day it came out and was 38 at that time which makes me...ancient now hehe.

Don't worry. I actually worried about the same thing, if my reply sounded more offended than I really feel.

Nice to see someone over 50 enjoying the game. Venturing out into territory where people usually only play Spider Solitaire, though perhaps it is unfair to pit you into one group with people like my parents (71, playing Spider, I had quite a laugh when my father worried about getting a good videocard for his new PC, when the only game he plays is spider).

Out of curiosity, what was your first ever computer-game?

@Gilgalahad, Vic 20 that's old. Though a few months ago I saw on GOG (I think it was) someone talking about a mainframe computer where he played a game that was fed with a paperfeed tape (not sure how to say it in English, a roll of paper with holes in it he had to guide through a feeder).

@ginger_hammer My first (actually, it wasn't mine, it was my dad's) computer I played games on was a Acorn BBC as well. The first game I tried was a text adventure called The Hobbit. I didn't get beyond the first room.

I had more fun with Starship Command, Elite and Pengu (a kind of Pacman with Pinguin characters). A revelation when my father hooked on old colour TV to the BBC computer and I saw the pinguins in color for the first time.

I am 38. I also turned an older friend, on to both PnP and BG, the latter of which he played more than I did, for several years, until his eyesight became too poor.
    First computerized game ? Probably Pong , then asteroids, space invaders...then somewhere in there a basic programmable home system by Bally, with an optional tape drive. I'd spend hours programming the thing via a calculator sized keypad...then there was the whole coin op golden age - my Father was the reigning Qbert master for many years...Star Wars, Rastan, Super Mario - before the nintendo home system there would be a mass race from the last bell at school to the Super Mario at the corner store....thats worth a scene in somebodys movie...I also remember 5 or 6 of us sitting around a C64, watching Ultima III happening.....then the Sierra games, Starflight and Ultima V on a Tandy 1000, and soforth and so on.
    Anyway, TMIF,
    I think BGEE is fitting in right on schedule with the old school gaming revolution, which in turn is much larger than just gaming -
  • RavenXRavenX Member Posts: 86
    I was right at 18-19. Good times.
  • sebassebas Member Posts: 56

I had read a review of the game in a magazine and I had to bug my parents for about a month for them to get it for me. But once they did... true love!
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    Around 40 I guess, can't quite remember which year it was. My ex-girlfriend got me BG1 during some illness; the rest, as they say, is history. I got BG2, I discovered mods, and in time I became semi-active on the modding forums. The pinnacle of my BG career was as a proofreader for a few of Domi's and Kulyok's mods. Which was nice. My present age can be deducted from my present user name which (among other things) gives the year of my birth.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    @swnmcmlxi: you're 10 years older than me and I first started playing Baldur's Gate 5 years ago. So people can figure that out for themselves.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I was around 19. It was awesome, and I think the enjoyment has been aging like wine ever since.
  • JariahxSynnJariahxSynn Member Posts: 67
    22 got BG1 for my birthday!

*Panther Style!!!
  • SkydogSkydog Member Posts: 111
    edited November 2012
    Kenji said:

Baldur's Gate was how I picked up English, in fact, and, man, am I glad to learn English the most awesome way.

Exactly the same here)))

• ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    When the game came out, I was 8, but I didn't start playing it until few years later. I had a sucky computer that couldn't play the latest games so I had to play a few years behind everyone else. Not that I'm complaining; BG, Diablo 1&2, Operation Flashpoint, Half Life... good times, good games.
  • CuriouslyCuriousCuriouslyCurious Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2012
    I was 19 when I first played Baldurs Gate in very early 2000, having ordered a new Windows 98 PC that could actually play it and then stockpiled a bunch of games I'd heard about and then drooled over, such as BG (A doublepack including TOTSC, whch I still have, maps and all) and Planescape Torment, ready for when my PC arrived. Then Icewind Dale came out not long after, then Baldurs Gate II a couple months later. Definitely heady times for an old AD&D'er like myself.
  • AragnumAragnum Member Posts: 6
    When i first got BG1 i got it with the 5CD case and all cost around 50 NZD this was in 99, i was around 8 at the time. The game how ever was meant for my dad but my dad found i enjoyed it more and learnt a lot from it.
  • JoppliJoppli Member Posts: 6
    Shortly after its release. I would have been 8 years old. I remember I was with my family and best friend in PC World buying our first "modern" computer. We had been in there for hours, and I don't recall whether the game was included in our purchase, or if my father was just looking for a way to alleviate my boredom, but he handed me a copy of the game and said "look, a Dragon!" (it was a Wyvern, but okay). The rest is a blur of fond memories. I played that game religiously until the release of Shadows of Amn. Never actually finishing it, but never getting bored either. Funnily enough I only officially completed it last year. Perhaps one of my most nostalgic memories.
  • BelegurthBelegurth Member Posts: 61
    16 years, i remember 5 cds very hot summer playing.
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    I was 15 and this game changed how I viewed video games. No more was I a FPS or Street Fighter style gamer. I was a hardcore RPG fan! BG and FF7 changed my stance on gaming and I haven't looked back.
  • lain2501lain2501 Member Posts: 12
    bg2 release was 16
  • MythagoMythago Member Posts: 23
    Hmm.. I was 20. Bought the game soon after release, started installing it, and immediately dropped a few CD's from the case. The 5-CD cardboard case was like a mini-puzzle, but later on I learned how to juggle the discs between it and my CD-drive without them touching the floor.
  • DemiGothDemiGoth Member Posts: 44
    When I got my BG I was 30, that was 1 year after release *yeah, old-guy here*
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    I was 14 or 15 depending on inflation. Potentially denial. Heya DemiGoth, don't worry about being the old guy! The point is you played a fine game. I remember being a senior in high school when Planescape: Torment came out, and not having enough money to buy it. Man...those were the days. It seems like when I was a lot younger, and I relied on people purchasing games for me...that games were enjoyed a lot longer. Baldur's Gate, Fallout, and various other RPGs were enticing because there was always so much going on and so much replayability.

Nowadays, I get a game super cheap on Steam and kind of stop playing it after a week. I need to start appreciating good games again. :)
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    I got the game in 2000, a whopping 2 years after the release. Kicked myself for that I did. Especially since I was a huge P&P enthusiast, so how that game flew by me, I have no idea.
    Oh, and I was 11... a very nerdy kid.
  • SornSorn Member Posts: 41
    edited November 2012
    I started playing when I was 6 or so. I'm 18 as of now.
    EDIT: No, I was definitely younger, since I remember finishing the campaign and being SO EXCITED when Shadows of Amn came out.
  • ThomasMinkThomasMink Member Posts: 25
    I believe I was 16 when I first played BG. My brother bought it because he was a huge D&D fan. Since then, though, he kinda moved on from BG and the other old computer games.. so I kinda 'adopted' the CDs in a sense. Guess what I'm trying to say is... I didn't truly 'get' BG until this year (month actually), age 29.
  • FyreFyre Member Posts: 28
    I was around.....eh......Ten or so, I would guess. Ouch. This nostolgia rush. I was stuck in the nashkel mines forever. I just spammed "drizztdefends" codes to get past it. Oh, that Ranger sucked.......
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I was 3 at release. Played first time at 16
  • John_RainbowJohn_Rainbow Member Posts: 15
    Probably around 12. I was so cool I read the BG Game Guide in school...
  • lelag200lelag200 Member Posts: 125
    Nine years of age.. haven't turned back since