Skip to content

Importing a saved game from BG EE

Hi all,

I must be missing something easy, but just can't figure it out. I just completed BG EE and have the FInal save that was created after beating Sarevok. I copied the entire Final Save folder to the BG II EE save folder. I started a new BG2 EE game and tried to import the saved game and nothing is there. I then tried to copy the saved character .chr and .bio files over to the BG2 EE character folder and the character still does not show up using import character. What am I missing? I don't recall having this problem before so I wonder if it is the new patches and it must be done differently.

Comments

• kstevens67kstevens67 Member Posts: 41
    I think I found it under the normal saved games - I chose the final save and the game quit. I'll try my character save and see what happens with that one.
  • RobertMcDuckRobertMcDuck Member Posts: 133
    edited April 2016
    You have to transfer your character, not your saved game.

EDIT: Just saw that you did that.
    Nope - looks like the game quits unexpectantly anytime I try and load a saved game form BG EE. Is there a forume already created where this is happening to anyone else?
    You should not load a save game file, in character creation you have to import the character file.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    edited April 2016

You should not load a save game file, in character creation you have to import the character file.

Actually you can import from a saved game though it's totally right that it's impossible to load it directly. As far as i know, except the ways @kstevens67 already tried there is another one.
    In the main menu of bg2ee there is the option to import directly from a saved game, without moving it from the bgee folder.
    I tried with the new patch and it works. I tried to import a saved game from the character creation sheet and works too, the same with the character file.

It should be helpful to post which system are you using and if you use mods.
    Thanks for the replies :) I am using a Mac and I'm not using any mods. I tried a few different ways. I see my Documents folder that contains both BG EE and BGII EE folders. I have done the following.

Copy BGEE/save/00000002-Final-Save to BGIIEE/save/00000002-Final-Save
    Launch BGIIEE - Single Player - Load Game - Final Save = Game quits
    Launch BGIIEE - Single Player - Import Game = Nothing there to select
    Launch BGIIEE - Single Player - New Game - Import - Saved Game = Nothing there to select

Copy BGEE/characters/Name.chr and Name.bio to BGIIEE/characters/Name.chr and Name.bio
    Launch BGIIEE - Single Player - New Game - Import - Character file = Do not see my character, but only see old characters.

I have a feeling there is something simple I am missing. It has been a little while since I played BG2.

• DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    I think you are doing everything right, you can try the "Troubleshooting" page, i read about people with issues with the saves there... For example you could try this:
    - rename the bg2 folder inside Documents
    - start the game
    - now you should have a new folder in Documents (with the same name of the previous one)
    - try to copy your character files in the new folder.

I hope it would work, i think that next week an hotfix will be realised.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Launch BG2EE - Shadows of Amn - Single Player - New Game - Create - Import - Saved Game - Character_Name Final - Save
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Don't copy your save to the BG2 folder. The new version looks for the BG1 folder.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    At least with the steam version, I didn't have to do anything at all, just went through what Sylvus said and was able to go.

Remember to make sure you click Shadows of Amn. You can't import a BG1 character to Throne of Bhall, that's got to be your Shadows of Amn character.
    Daevelon said:

Actually you can import from a saved game though it's totally right that it's impossible to load it directly. As far as i know, except the ways @kstevens67 already tried there is another one.
    In the main menu of bg2ee there is the option to import directly from a saved game, without moving it from the bgee folder.
    I tried with the new patch and it works. I tried to import a saved game from the character creation sheet and works too, the same with the character file.

It should be helpful to post which system are you using and if you use mods.
    Cool feature, didn't know about this.
    Thanks for all the comments on this. I did go to the troubleshooting forum and went through the topics. I found one and did the same thing that was suggested there which worked for me. For those who are interesetd: I loaded the previous saved game in BG EE just before the final save and exported my character. I then copied the .CHR and .BIO files to the characters folder in BG2EE. I was then able to import the character file to a new game. The character did not have a portrait initially, but that was easily solved by going to customize and adding the portrait in game. Thanks again for all the help :)
    Cheers