Skip to content

Returning to previous areas?

After completing the first map (the one with the Dwarven clerics, the "Black Pits," and the menhirs), I traveled to the northern map. Now it seems that I can't travel back to the first map or access the Cloakway Forest to the west. When will I be able to return?

Comments

• Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    edited April 2016
    When the story progresses, you won't be able to access the previous maps. If there is any side quests that haven't been completed, you need to make sure they're all done before continuing on.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    That's disappointing.
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    That is railroading. Makes the player a passenger rather than the driver.
    I know that one of the criticisms is that the game is too linear, but I never thought that I'd never be able to return to some of the other maps, and I don't recall any in-game indication of such. I've enjoyed the game so far, but that is really disappointing.

BG1 was the best, since the game was much more "open world" to an extent.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    The funny thing is that if this wasn't the case, we'd have complaints about it being immersion breaking because it doesn't make sense story-wise to go back when you're marching towards a castle with an army.

The funny thing is that if this wasn't the case, we'd have complaints about it being immersion breaking because it doesn't make sense story-wise to go back when you're marching towards a castle with an army.

Then there shouldn't be any side quests to begin with. I just figure that we are scouting ahead and ensuring that our flank is secure as well, while getting into all sorts of wild and zany adventures.

• GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Side Quests make sense because a party of 6 can move much faster than an army so you have time to scout ahead and do a few quests, it doesn't make sense that you can rest 1000 days in each zone if you like, but that's how it is.

That's how the plot of the extension works. You can use the console to teleport back to old areas and it shouldn't break the quests that are out of the camp I think.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I was very surprised that areas on the world map became un-clickable. Quite often if you go a little further in the game, the game doesn't tell you that previously areas are now locked out. A comparison like IWD had some areas (Easthaven) you couldn't return to, but it wasn't this bad.

And, there was another part of the game when I went further and dialogue boxes came up saying something to the effect of, 'You ran out of time doing X quest' and I couldn't go back to that area.

There doesn't to be anything indicating a point of no return where you will be locked out of content. It just happens. I spent a lot of time reloading, even going as far back as doing complete sections just to finish stuff off. The stone statues is one that comes to mind. I went as far as hiring Khalid and decided to go back and finish off the statues only to find out that I couldn't.

Steam has me at around 24 hours with finishing the game, however I spent a solid 8-10 hours of re-loading and redoing areas again.