Skip to content

Cannot rest in Dragonspear Castle?

Sorry if I am missing something really obvious, but my protagonist has very few spells left, I want to fight Caelar's right hand woman one on one but cannot without any spells. I cannot rest anywhere on the map, cannot leave the area and the NPC who does the special rest during the siege at the coalition camp which rejuvenates spells etc. doesn't seem to be around. Is there anywhere I can rest?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• FrkunFrkun Member Posts: 52
    You can't. That's one of the bad design decisions of the game: no sleep during hours of real game. It's artificial difficulty.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited April 2016
    @Frkun It probably wouldn't make sense for the party to be able to sleep for 8 hours in the middle of a courtyard siege. Luckily, the game provides extensive scrolls and scroll cases for just such an occasion.
  • FrkunFrkun Member Posts: 52
    Purudaya said:

@Frkun It probably wouldn't make sense for the party to be able to sleep for 8 hours in the middle of a courtyard siege. Luckily, the game provides extensive scrolls and scroll cases for just such an occasion.

You are right. It doesn't make sense. That's why the whole assault is poorly designed. If you are working with a multiclass character or a dual class of low level, you basically cannot count with them. It would have been nice to have a priest that can heal you as if rested, even if it's once or twice, but it seems they took the decision of not doing that, so my guess is still artificial difficulty.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Frkun said:

You are right. It doesn't make sense. That's why the whole assault is poorly designed. If you are working with a multiclass character or a dual class of low level, you basically cannot count with them. It would have been nice to have a priest that can heal you as if rested, even if it's once or twice, but it seems they took the decision of not doing that, so my guess is still artificial difficulty.

Artificial difficulty? Maybe, but they did give ways around that...like lots of scrolls and scrolls cases.

That said, I do NOT think we can fault the devs for forcing the player to do something that is supported story-wise. SoD is a D&D game. DMs do this kind of thing in D&D all the time, as the campaign calls for it. I think it's a good design decision to enforce that kind of thing.

Frkun said:

Purudaya said:

I played through with a fighter/thief on Core Rules and did fine. I really enjoyed being able to take part in a big battle for the first time and found the difficulty surprisingly balanced given the amount of variables at play.

Focus your casters on debuff and control, save your spells and special abilities for the harder fights, let the coalition fighters pull their weight, and make use of the ample potions ans scrolls the game provides. I have a few issues with the game, but the big battles were a high point imo.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    The intent behind disabling rest was the immersion breaking nature of party taking a nap while two armies kill each other just a couple feet away.

As far as balance goes...
    If you play on Core, then:
    1) You don't need to spearhead the initial charge into courtyard, your allies can handle the majority of enemies there by themselves. Bonus points if you have previously weakened Crusade's ranks and bolstered your own.
    2) If you didn't make poor decisions during the camp defense sequence (two of the team selection options there seemed pretty obvious to me), you shouldn't have needed all the magical rest usages provided by Dosia.
    3) During the siege she stands behind the lines, and is protected by a group of powerful mages, making it hard for enemies to reach her.

Also note that Core is not even the default difficulty level, Normal is. If you play on higher difficulties, things do get progressively harder, but that's kinda the whole point, isn't it.
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    I always believe Core to be the default difficulty, as after all it is closer to the D&D ruleset
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Severon said:

I always believe Core to be the default difficulty, as after all it is closer to the D&D ruleset

But it's not the BG default.
    Just out of curiosity, I loaded up a save from the Siege on Core - with only the enemy foodstuffs poisoned (not the water), I had my party sit back and let the coalition troops do 100% of the work. They completed the courtyard siege completely on their own, without my help, all the way up until the area boss challenges you to a one-on-one fight. I also enlisted the help of the trolls on the southeast part of the map without ever attacking an enemy.

I'm not saying you should play it that way, but the fight is easily winnable if you don't underestimate your allies. As for resting, Dosia is also there to provide her rejuvenation power (she stays well behind you and is a little hard to spot) - I used it twice during the camp defense and was still able to use it during the siege.