Skip to content

You know, portals... (SPOILERS)

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Different portal, different method of entry? Just because a key opens one door doesn't mean it opens all doors - maybe one has a simple keyhole and the other has a series of bars, chains, and padlocks.
  • AzzaraAzzara Member Posts: 184
    edited April 2016
    Honestly, I don't know how it works but they say that:
    1. Divine blood can open the portal from the prime material plane.
    2. Devil blood can close the portal from the other side.
    3. The portal cannot be closed from the prime material plane.

Who would build a one-way portal like that? Probably some evil power who has powerful allies on both sides but don't want the devils making an independent move. Once the portal is opened the devils decide when to close it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    This is how they closed it

a) No idea, maybe it has always existed and some evil deity went and locked it in such a way as to prevent independent action of hell's armies.
    b) They are not powerful enough to create a new portal or even open an existing one. Creating a new portal probably requires much more than a few drops of divine blood.
  • madmaximusmadmaximus Member Posts: 140
    Could be a physical phenomenon, and not created by a sentient being. Only responsive to Divine blood.
    Hmmm perhaps. It was also weird that the antagonists couldn't open it but could close it.
    Yea but at that level continued existence in the 9 hells the charname would end up holding some greater devil's belt loop.
    Haha yea it's what happens in the American Penal system when someone is someone's punk. Bad joke. I feel that he was a bit underpowered given his position. I remember him being tougher in IWD.
    edited April 2016

Arakon was a simple mortal, right? How did he do it? Something feels off.

He was a genius and found a loophole in the order of the universe. Or someone taught him how to do it (evil deity, forbidden scroll). He was also a powerful archmage.
    Caelar is a fighter of average intelligence. She doesn't know the method he used and she's not powerful enough. She probably isn't willing to perform the despicable acts involved in such a ritual and her army wouldn't follow her if she did.

There's no reason to believe the ritual is repeatable. Maybe the consumables needed are all depleted from this world. Maybe this spell only worked on this particular location in the frozen north. Maybe the time of the ritual happens every five thousand years. Maybe he required the help of a particular devil from the other side who made sure the spell wouldn't work with any of his competitors but who died since.

And finally, there's no guarantee that the method would work. She failed opening a portal once and was dragged into hell. The portal in Dragonspear castle already exists and functions reliably. She knows about it and her army knows about it from personal experience. Otherwise the morals are supposed to be ignorant on such matters.
    edited April 2016
    I don't thinks they are allowed to create a portal to the prime material plane. It is the domain of the mortals, not theirs. I might be wrong though.
    I mean, why doesn't Cyric himself create a portal? Same reason.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited April 2016
    Creshinibon was a pretty bad ass sentient artifact.

I imagine all portals which are sealed can be unlocked in a specific way - or blasted through if one is wielding an artifact of sorts.
    I'm pretty sure he was summoned by a mortal. Even Neera can gate a devil on an unlucky wild surge.
    Good question. How long were they on the prime? Maybe they lead an invasion of the prime but their power struggle caused it to fail and they were not allowed reentry when the army retreated.
    Killing Belhifet in IWD1 did return him to his home plane.
  • ZilchkZilchk Member Posts: 46

@decado Belhifet only stumbled on Crenshinibon after entering the Prime.

@Azzara Belhifet was banished from the Nine Hells to the Prime by his superiors due to his vendetta with Yxunomei getting out of hand.

Who are thos superiors that can gate a devil lord (not simply a regular pit fiend) to the prime, and how how they doing it...? Belhifet himself does seems able to do so on his now, even though he was able to bypass Jerrod's corpse with no effort whatsoever.

Archdevils, Belhifet is at best some officer.
    His arch nemesis Yxy was just a marilith. It would have been weird to fight mere mortals up to the end of the saga but destroy the lord of hell between BG1 and BG2.
  • ZilchkZilchk Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2016

So the final boss of two games is just a petty devil? That's disapointing. Then again IWDI, I guess Crenshinibon spiced up the game a little bit. Don't know what to say for SoD, though...

Belhifet seems to be a unique Pit Fiend, he looks more like a Balor but unique pit fiends like Dark Eight members can look very different. Though there are no regular Pit Fiend enemies in BG series. It would be cool if we could fight actual archdevils and more demon lords than just Demogorgon in some future expansion. More fiend types including Yugoloths, Baernaloths and more Tenari types would be nice too. Maybe he is some very minor Duke of Hell that's why he has unique appearance?
    Could someone check his stats in game files in IW and SoD and post them here?
    Post edited by Zilchk on