Skip to content

Weird multiplayer NPC inventory duplication bug

Possible spoilers: bridge district murders quest.

I've been playing BG1 EE and BG2 EE singleplayer with hardly any bugs at all; 1 or 2 in an entire run perhaps? It seems it's almost solely multiplayer suffering.

My friend and I were playing a multiplayer game and encountered quite a few bugs and crashes in a single session. (which is an improvement because last week patch 2.0 we couldn't play at all XD)
Things went kinda haywire when we were doing the bridge district murder quests and entered the tanner's house. When we entered, the tanner gave his speech and went to the lower floor as is normal.
1) On the floor below my friend saw the tanner there initiating the dialogue from the floor above again. On my end everything seemed normal. At my friend (who hosted the game) the tanner just went another floor lower after he had his speech. Nothing game breaking.
2) On the lowest floor hexxat died. Everything seemed normal on my end, but my friend saw Viconia (who I was controlling) turned into a vampire cloud. No big deal.
3) While I was looking up online how to res Hexxat. My friend opened the bag holding her coffin and moved it to his backpack. Twice. The coffin remained in the bag (as it's supposed to I assume) but it was also moved to his backpack twice. So there were now two 1000lb coffins in his backpack. He couldn't move them out of his inventory. His character could no longer move because it was overburdened. We had to reload.
4) We reloaded to before Hexxat's death. After a while my friend noticed that Viconia had Hexxat's inventory. (two "crashes" had occured in the meantime) Hexxat still had all her own items. Viconia had no items she had before and merely had a duplicate of Hexxat's inventory; she was even wearing Hexxat's necklace. We noticed Viconia was now immune to poison, among other things, but didn't have Hexxat's weakness to the sun, so we left it as is.
My friend thinks this duplication occured when he saw Viconia as a vampire cloud upon Hexxat's death. But the save we loaded was before Hexxat's death.

Anyone recognise any of these bugs or can explain them?
The one bug that annoyed me was moving the coffins to the backpack. Though easily avoided now we know, why was that even possible?

4) Has quite a bit of potential if it can be figured out and replicated with some control. I know Imoen wears a belt in Irenicus' dungeon that makes it impossible for her hp to drop below 1. I can see Edwin's amulet being helpful for a PC mage as well :D