Skip to content

Developer's confirmation on XP cap?

MinscandBooMinscandBoo Member Posts: 77
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I've spent a bit of time searching the boards as to not ask an already answered question, but I cannot seem to find confirmation by the game developers if the original XP cap will be in effect. To me, that is the only thing that would be a complete impasse for me buying the game. After several playthroughs over the years including a recent one right before EE was announced, my party is XP capped BEFORE entering Baldur's Gate! This makes for a severe lack of quest vs. reward scenario. I know it could be a simple thing to fix manually as a user, but in doing so, will all the extra spells and abilities conform with the higher character levels in EE? I would especially want to do a solo (or 2 party - can't play without the humor of Minsc) run and the XP cap would destroy that.

As for importing a too high level character into BG2:EE, I would propose the developers program an "auto-save for export" when the said character reaches the appropriate intended max level in BG1 according to its Class.

Please let me know if there is an official answer on this topic. Thank you!

Comments

• TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    edited September 2012
    Considering it will be used BG2 engine, it's very possible the level cap was removed all together... But that mean what that mean, it's a possibility
  • MinscandBooMinscandBoo Member Posts: 77
    I agree with your theory, but I cannot seem to locate an official answer from the game developers including the FAQ section etc. To me this is something that should not be left as a ? before buying the game...
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    They haven't made any confirmation on what the level cap will be.
    For a game that was already supposed to be available, it doesn't seem to me that they feel it important enough to include in the FAQ prior to its new release date or it would have been indicated before? No?
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Maybe that aspect is still in development.
    I assume its because they haven't made a final decision yet.

However, if you choose to remove the level cap, most of the BG2 resources are already in the game (though there won't be any high level scrolls for mages or HLAs for all classes).
    OK... I guess my next question is: Do any of the developers come in here and answer questions once in a while? What do I have to do to get their confirmation prior to buying EE?
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    lol, I really do hope that the cap is just raised and not removed. theoretically, it would be possible after hours and HOURS of play for certain people to grow to levels that weren't really meant for BG1. Granted, this would be up to people who want to play the game that way, and I have no problem with that, but it just seems unbalanced.
    They do come on here occasionally. You could notify "TrentOster" in a post to notify him of it, but I doubt he would give you an answer until he's ready to announce it publically.
    Xavioria said:

lol, I really do hope that the cap is just raised and not removed. theoretically, it would be possible after hours and HOURS of play for certain people to grow to levels that weren't really meant for BG1. Granted, this would be up to people who want to play the game that way, and I have no problem with that, but it just seems unbalanced.

It would be extremely easy and not take as long as you think to exceed the current level cap of BG1 if you don't play with a full party of six.
    @Xavioria: I agree with you in principal. However, as I stated before, getting to Baldur's Gate with your entire party already capped is ridiculous. Furthermore, on a game that will have been played through MANY times already by the buying EE community, challenges such as solo runs and self imposed handicaps during a run through make the replays more exciting and add new flavor which is the reason for my request.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Is knowing how much XP we shall be able to gain *really* that important in the end? I mean, they might as well just specify it the day of release in an official release FAQ, or something. Needing to know 2 months prior release about the XP cap is a bit senseless. Besides, you can remove the XP cap yourself with ease since the high level rules from BG2 will be present, so you just need to edit this or that file and you're done as far as I know. I wouldn't wonder if an XP cap remover or raiser is going to be one of the first mods available :P
    I don't care if they tell us either. I've stated before that once the game comes out it takes like two minutes to find out for yourself.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

To me, that is the only thing that would be a complete impasse for me buying the game.

@MinscandBoo What exactly are you afraid of? You know that with simple editing you can set the xp cap to whatever you want, right? If you want it to be 200k, it can be 200k. If you want it to be unlimited, it'll be unlimited. If you want it to be 100k before you hit Baldur's Gate and then go up to 250k when you do, then adjust it so that it does exactly that.
    Don't let arbitrary development calls stop you from playing the game exactly as you want it, and don't trust the judgment of anyone else over your own in terms what you want out of your game.

In short, just adjust the cap as you see fit, and enjoy.

@Shin I agree that if all spells/abilities will co-inside with the new levels I would be fine with that. You will notice my original post was stated as a 2 part question. Even though EE is based on the BG2 engine, I just want confirmation that all aspects of bonuses and stats are in with regards to leveling past the original cap. With this confirmation I would buy the game and do exactly as you suggested if the cap was still there.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    I'd love there to still be some cap... It is the only thing that will stop me from playing the game at some point, lol
    @MinscandBoo You mean that things like spells and abilities beyond the original level cap would be stripped from the game and not available? I would very much doubt that to be the case given that the BG2/ToB engine should contain all that. Even if they for some reason were removed it's easy recreate spell resource files, so it would still be fixable through modding.
    @Shin

Technically, they wouldn't have been removed, but rather not imported from BG2 to BGEE.
    @Tanthalas So @MinscandBoo could be correct in that things like 6th level spells won't necessarily exist in the launch version of the game?
    @Shin

All the resources should be there.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    It's been mentioned by the Devs that the cap will be raised, but by an undetermined amount at this time. I would assume that if the new raised cap allows mages etc to gain an extra level of spells then appropiate resources will be available in game to reflect this.

I suspect the cap will be raised by at most 100K more. Enough for most classes to maybe gain one more level.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @CheeseBelly I think people wanting to know the XP cap now is so they can meta-game and pick when to dual, or whatnot. I agree with you, however, that it ultimately doesn't matter (am I Xan now?) in that people will adjust and adapt when the game comes.

On a semi-related note (non-sequitur warning), I often wonder if I'm the only one that has no interest in dual classing. I don't really think it's fun to restart as Level One and rely on NPC's just to survive. I'd be more likely to multi-class than dual, even if it does slow things down at higher levels.

• CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    I can confirm as a beta tester that there is an XP cap.

Wait, that wasn't the question?
    Care to share what that cap is?
  • EilerEiler Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2012
    If you are dual classing to reinforce some role play oriented character story that is one thing and it is good that it is an option.

If you are dual classing for metagame purposes that is another but I still like having the option available.

I even dual classed in the TSR/SSI Gold Box games -- for one game I actually built a party of 6 human mages and then changed them all to other classes at a certain level so I ended up with two mages dual classed to cleric and the other mages were dual classed to fighter, thief, ranger and paladin respectively. Yep it was overpowered and time consuming but it was also fun at the time. I had a lot more time on my hands then too. :P

For BG I did it for a metagaming fun aspect but after having run through that a few times I do not bother to do it much. I like the fact that the option is there however.

If I was role playing in BG however dual classing might well become a useful way to evolve a character story. I have not engaged in multiplayer BG however and do not really forsee doing that going forward.

@CheeseBelly I think people wanting to know the XP cap now is so they can meta-game and pick when to dual, or whatnot. I agree with you, however, that it ultimately doesn't matter (am I Xan now?) in that people will adjust and adapt when the game comes.

On a semi-related note (non-sequitur warning), I often wonder if I'm the only one that has no interest in dual classing. I don't really think it's fun to restart as Level One and rely on NPC's just to survive. I'd be more likely to multi-class than dual, even if it does slow things down at higher levels.

I quite like it myself as it's the only way to have a character learn a little bit of one thing and then ultimately specialize in something else. In RP terms, e.g. Elminster starting out as a thief and eventually finding a different path.

@Shin

*nitpicking mode*

Elminster went Fighter -> Thief -> Cleric -> Mage