Skip to content

Share your positive experiences with Siege of Dragonspear! (spoiler warning)

Hey everyone!

I've been away for quite some time from these forums and ever since the release of Siege of Dragonspear I've decided to return here, mostly because I've always liked these forums and the members here. I also kinda consider them the spiritual successor to the old Baldur's Gate forums before they finally got closed down and disappeared for good. :smile:

I admit the controversy surrounding this expansion has caught me off-guard. I read lots of negative reviews and the astounding amount of negative thumb-downs on SoD's Steam page also made me concerned. It seems the backlash hasn't left these forums unscathed either, further worsening my worries.

In order to hear the other, more positive side of the forums and its members in hopes that they could prove my prejudices wrong, I therefore decided to make this thread. I hope I put it in the right subcategory of the forums, if not, please move it where it belongs! So please, I ask of you, those who have played this expansion, did you like the expansion? Could you share some of your positive experiences with Siege of Dragonspear? Was it memorable to you? Do you think it's worth the money you paid for it? Mabye give it a rating on a scale from 1 to 10?

Obviously I haven't played the game myself, so I must ask you to keep spoilers to a minimum (also as to not spoil other curious people who are still in the Doubtzone concerning this game and who might be reading this thread). If you really have to or see no other option, please use spoiler tags. :smile:

I hope you all will be able to convince me and lots of others who might still be worried or on the fence regarding this expansion!

Comments

• GozetaGozeta Member Posts: 105
    Just play the game yourself and decide. That's what I did and it was worth it. XD
  • HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2016
    2 new PC soundsets, voice acted by David Warner (Jon Irencius) & Jim Cummings (Minsc).
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @mf2112 Well, wouldn't you be cynical after being excited for a BG expansion and then after release reading that most reviews are negative? That there was so much as a controversy surrounding the game? It seems to be the case with most modern games and expansions being released nowadays. And I'm too old to stay bright-eyed and naive, I'm more inclined to see the flaws. Nor am I any longer in a position to just spend money on games like I used to. But because I always give things and people the benefit of the doubt, I decided to create this topic afterall to see more positive opinions on the game itself. In any case, thanks for your elaborate post, it was very insightful and I'm glad you liked the game as much as you did!

Btw, does anyone know the reason Jaheira didn't get voiced lines? Was her original voice actor unavailable? Due respect if she was, of course.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Btw, does anyone know the reason Jaheira didn't get voiced lines? Was her original voice actor unavailable? Due respect if she was, of course.
    Basically yeah, they couldn't get the original actor... They did get someone else to voice some lines, but found it difficult to find someone who could nail the accent
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919

@mf2112 Well, wouldn't you be cynical after being excited for a BG expansion and then after release reading that most reviews are negative? That there was so much as a controversy surrounding the game? It seems to be the case with most modern games and expansions being released nowadays. And I'm too old to stay bright-eyed and naive, I'm more inclined to see the flaws. Nor am I any longer in a position to just spend money on games like I used to. But because I always give things and people the benefit of the doubt, I decided to create this topic afterall to see more positive opinions on the game itself. In any case, thanks for your elaborate post, it was very insightful and I'm glad you liked the game as much as you did!

Hi Kitteh,

Sure, the reviews made me wonder but after I did some checking here and other sites, I found that many of the negative reviews were basically copy/pastes and weren't based on actual gameplay. Some of the ones with the kernel of truth were overstated to make them sound much worse, like the bugs which beamdog is working on now.

I too missed Jaheira's voice. I guess the voice actress retired and could not be found. I wondered if they had enough old dialog to digitally stitch together, but I guess it wouldn't be the same.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    Just enjoying the fact that Imoen, Minsc, and others speak to me after meeting them the first time in 1999 where I discovered BG.

That Beamdog tries to close the gap between the two games. I like the story overall. As everything else some is better than other, but I enjoyed the storyline a lot.

And you have the possibility to choose different paths depending on playing style.

Also you can ask your companies for advice in some quests. I like how you can include them instead of waiting for them to interrupt.

I wasn't pleased with the ending. Will not spoil it here, but to me it felt out of touch with the rest of the saga and definitely out of touch with the first character I took through SOD who was a goody goody pally.

The humorous parts match the other game and for a reason they will again try to kill the mouthy one. Well I am again packing steel and carrying a hamster.

So I am going to play this a lot. So many groups to try. And I have missed some quests that I need to figure out in time to come.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    The battle at belfort bridhe was so epic and fun! Made SoD totally worth buying!
  • LiluraLilura Member Posts: 148
    Siege is a solid campaign.

I'm writing a walkthrough while playing it... that means it's taking me 10 times longer to get through it. And you know what? I'm quite enjoying it.

I've played the IE RPGs since their inception, too.
  • dotsdots Member Posts: 37
    I loved it. It's much more reminiscent of Throne of Bhaal than BG/SoA, with limited maps, the inability to go back once you've gone forward, and a linear plot with few side quests. Given what it's trying to be - the 'missing middle chapters' to ToB's 'last chapters' - that didn't bother me at all.

The story was suitably epic. The ending was okay, though it felt a bit rushed to me. The new characters were delightful; playing with the returning characters made me feel like a kid again. Khalid and Skie were hidden gems. I enjoyed Safana. Honestly, I would have paid $20 just to hear David Warner as Jon Irenicus again. Gave me chills.

For me, my number one concern with any Baldur's Gate reboot or expansion is 'Is it nostalgic? Does playing this make me feel 12 years old, discovering Faerûn for the first time?' Siege of Dragonspear accomplished that in spades. There are things I would change, but on the whole I was very happy with it.

My biggest issues were bugs and a lack of fighter-types for evil parties. 8/10, well worth the money, maybe wait for a few patches.
  • DraconusDraconus Member Posts: 24
    edited April 2016
    Hi everyone, I have just finished my first play through having defeated Bel on the 5th or 6th attempt (core rules). I'm considering playing again on a higher difficulty but perhaps not that Legacy of Bhaal difficulty or whatever its called.

Thanks for the game Beamdog. I really enjoyed it despite some shortcomings which have been mentioned elsewhere, particularly the journal and quest progression not being correctly triggered. I imagine this will be ironed out with patches. However as this thread is about positive experiences I will say no more on that here.

I really enjoyed the game overall. I particularly liked the level of effort that went into the NPC's. I think this is what stood out the most. David Warner is one of my favourite actors, I was obsessed with Tron as a kid and I think Warner was central to the original success of SoA. He is one of the all time great enemies in my life of gaming - up there with Sephiroth (FF7) Lan Di (Shenmue) and Kain (Soul Reaver) as my all time great villains. Amazed that Beamdog pulled it off in getting Warner on board for Dragonspear, very well done on that.

I also really liked Baeloth (who wouldn't given that Sorcerers are a tad OP.) I always play as a Conjurer, although I have also done play throughs in the originals series as a Swashbuckler from SoA onwards. I always liked having my protagonist as a Conjurer and then getting Edwin in a party of 6 as well. I will openly admit that Conjurers are a little OP with the only school they are unable to use being Divination, but I just love them to bits. But having recruited Baeloth I realized that Edwin wasn't necessary and really enjoyed his rather superfluous conversation contributions. The rest of the voice acting - also very well done.

I really hope that you continue to progress more tales from this fantasy world and bring us more games over the years. I say years as I appreciate that it must take a huge amount of time and effort to create games like Dragonspear. I think that the story of this protagonist is somewhat spent, we have had TotSC, SoA and ToB, with Dragonspear now filling in the only real gap. I think the next step is to create a game which will still be set in Faerun, but with the same engine and just tweaks/developments to things like spells and items so that its still BG but with enough new content to keep things rolling. I hope Beamdog are in a position to bring us this or something similar.

Thanks again.

Post edited by Draconus on
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I don't want to spend too much time on writing, so I'll just share the link to my topic, where I review the expansion.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/51184/my-amateur-ish-review-of-siege-of-dragonspear-and-some-more#latest

... But if I have to go with TL;DR:
    - New UI is beautiful
    - Majority of enhancements are welcome
    - There are more oportunities to roleplay (more dialogue options based on class/race and I think abillity scores)
    - Main plot is linear, but interesting
    - New characters are good
    - The "controversy" isn't affecting anything important in gameplay
    - No new spells and the Shaman class dissapointed me
    - Really delivers on connecting BG1 and BG2 together
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    There are many threads in this forum where users have given the game mostly positive reviews. The majority of professional reviews are positive, as are the majority of Steam reviews. The only places where you see enormous amounts of negative reviews are GoG and Metacritic (neither requires that reviewers play the game), most of which are 0 star reviews with an obvious bombing agenda.

Given that, I'm not sure there's too much cause for hesitancy; the game is cheap and most people who have actually played it seem to generally like it. If you find that you don't, that's totally ok – I believe you can get a refund for both Steam and Beamdog purchases up to a certain amount of playtime.

If you are a long time fan of Baldur's Gate for the same reasons that I am, I think you'll be able to look past a few lines and the mostly patched bugs to find a game that recaptures a lot of the spirit of the originals. You get to talk to a fully voiced Minsc and Imoen again - who would have thought three years ago that we as fans would ever be able to do that? It's sad to see people potentially driven away from a game over so little... I really hope you try it and enjoy it.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited April 2016
    I finally finished it last night. I restarted twice along the way to finally settle with an Undead Hunter. Because of the lack of frontliners I had to make one that could wear heavy armor and have lots of HP (I don't put heavy armor on Minsc).

I loved everything really.

I had a few minor bugs but nothing major. Once every few days the game would crash, but it takes 30 sec to restart.

It's linear-but-not-too-linear, which is fine for an expansion of that length. The new dungeons are beautiful and well designed. It was both fun and frustrating to try new areas and have no idea what to expect. Like playing the old games for the first time so long ago. When I first did the Dwarven dig site I expected a little cave like the dig site in BG so I went in without preparing. Then I see it's a large map. Then I see there's another floor. Then I see books about liches.

Having new banter with Minsc is probably the most enjoyable thing. Glint is an excellent new character.

I like that it has monsters from IWD and Planescape Torments. It adds variety and kind of ties this universe with other favorites. There's a bit of an unbalance as, near the end, the monsters and equipment feels way more epic than what you get at the beginning (or even in the middle) of BG2.

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I do think the diversity in the monsters is a big selling point, especially compared to Throne of Bhaal, which added Fire Giants and some demons but not much else. Tussling with Hill Giants and Displacer Beasts is a nice change of pace.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    The original narrator, Minsc, Imoen, the hooded man etc. Just ... thx!

I liked the main antagonist and the story device to bridge BG to BG2.

I loved that combat was quite hard on "core rules" (to me), but loving Mass Effect-series as a rather poor shooter-gamer, I am really happy there was a "story mode." Well done on that, Beamdog.