Skip to content

How is the NPC's levels determined when they join you?

georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Hi all

I was just thinking. I want to start BG2 again. But this time I want to use shadowkeeper to quickly get me to a lvl 13 Kensai / Mage setup. I am planning on doing this right from the start.

My only concern is how will the enemies levels and the join able NPC's levels be effected by this? Or are there levels fixed?

Comments

• JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    This is my understanding, although I could very much be wrong ...

Enemies don't level,
    And NPCs have several level 'states', so if you are level 13 when you encounter an NPC, they will be of a similar level (Valygar for example, has 5 level states, level 8, 9, 11, 12 and 14). Although, again I may be wrong here, if you were to start the game at level 7, recruit the NPCs, kick them out, cheat in your XP, then ask them to join again, they should gain the difference in experience there and then, which will then allow you to level them up how you'd like.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384

This is my understanding, although I could very much be wrong ...

Enemies don't level,
    And NPCs have several level 'states', so if you are level 13 when you encounter an NPC, they will be of a similar level (Valygar for example, has 5 level states, level 8, 9, 11, 12 and 14). Although, again I may be wrong here, if you were to start the game at level 7, recruit the NPCs, kick them out, cheat in your XP, then ask them to join again, they should gain the difference in experience there and then, which will then allow you to level them up how you'd like.

Yeah, there are basically several copies (.cre files) of the same NPC at different levels in the game. The NPCs level is determined when you first encounter them (perhaps even when you enter the same area they are in), and will be as close to your own as possible. But as far as I know NPCs do not gain any xp if you kick them out.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    Yes, @dib is right - NPCs have preset levels/proficiencies/skills/spells depending on the level you are when you meet them, both in BG1 and in BG2. If you kick them out of the group and have them rejoin later when you're higher level has no effect whatsoever on their XP, they'll still be the same level they were when you first met.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Enemies may not level, but there are certain spawns of enemies which may scale. For example an undead spawn location will be shadows at a very low level, all the way up to a lich, two skeleton warriors and two greater mummies at a high level.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Yeah - If you are level 1 you get the NPC at level 1 (usually) though some NPCs are set to start at a higher level regardless (Example: Shar-Teel, Viconia). If you are higher than Level 1, there is a range of levels where you get them. (Example: If you are 1 you get them at 1, If you are 2-3, you will get them at a certain level, past 3 a certain level, etc.) This all just depends on the NPC. I recommend the Dudleyville site's NPC section as it will give specifics.

The thing that sucks is if you are Multi-Class (1/1 for example) and you pick up an NPC, they start at level 2... bad for those who want to grab their end game party early and shape their team members Proficiencies/HP themselves from the earliest possible point (which should be your plan for the most powerful party). FYI - Starting Spells/Equipment are also affected based on the level you grab the NPC.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    edited September 2012
    It works as described, but there are components of Level 1 NPCs that can match joinable NPCs more closely to your level, even if you dismiss and rejoin with them later.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/level1npcs/
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited October 2012
    I usually 'lock' the level of certain npcs via infinity editor - Edwin , for instance , is a character who reaches level 9 in BG1 , and I honestly don't think he, as an adventurer who hates the road, would attain hundreds of xp by himself .I do the same with Nalia and npcs I wouldn't have around for too long.
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    DJKajuru said:

I usually 'lock' the level of certain npcs via infinity editor - Edwin , for instance , is a character who reaches level 9 in BG1 , and I honestly don't think he, as an adventurer who hates the road, would attain hundreds of xp by himself .I do the same with Nalia and npcs I wouldn't have around for too long.

How exactly do you lock the level?
    @georgelappies , using infinity engine editor you can access the file npclevel.2da , and set the npc level .
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    DJKajuru said:

@georgelappies , using infinity engine editor you can access the file npclevel.2da , and set the npc level .

Cool, thanks. So if for instance you make all the levels 7 then no matter what your level is when you meet char, they will be 7? This is cool, as it will allow me to level them myself.
    Indeed!