Skip to content

Slayer form tweaks. [BG2EE]

O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
The topic is a simillar to the one I made on Reddit. I decided to write more, however.

That's something that always made me wonder. The Slayer is an avatar of Bhaal, avatar of murder. "Creature from death and the darkest shadow" as the Bodhi claims. Yet, after Shadows of Amn (and even throught it) this form becomes.... just useless most of the time (unless one is using it for, let's say, role-playing purposes, like me). Why?

-First of all, warriors are often more powerfull (HP, Thac0, AC) in normal form, than in Slayer form. And still, there is a risk of using transformation, therefore making it even more useless.
- Second, Slayer's HP are caped at 100. This can be plenty in SoA, assuming that you are not re-rolling your hitpoints per every level up, but it changes in To
- Thrid, transformation lasts quite short before PC is starting to recieve damage, which eventually leads to PC's death. The risk becomes to hight to balance the gain.

In my opinion, Slayer form should improve over time, as PC is gaining experience (first improvement from 3 milion exp points, then 4,5 milion, then 6 milion). Slayer is quite strong in middle game, but later it's not. And it is supposed to be scary, powerfull Avatar of Murder.

- Cap of 100 HP should be removed. Instead, it should be like +50 HP to base PC HP + Slayer's constitution bonuses. (Ex. warrior has base 90 hp + constitution. When transformin into slayer, it should be 140 hp + constitution).

- Slayer's base stats (+HP, Saving throws, Thac0, AC, Magic resistance, claws damage) should rise from certain experience caps (3 mln, 4.5 mln, 6 mln). I'm not sure of the exact ammount those should improve. That's something to discuss.

- In addition, I suggest that wrath test in hell would result in extending the time of staying in Slayer form for PC, as Sarevok taunts you to use the form, rather than givin just +2 to strength (of course, I'm talking about an evil path).

- I support virtue mod all the way and hope it (or it's variation) will be implemented into Enhanced Editon. Therefore I suggest that changing into Slayers would result into loss of virtue, than reputation (unless someone innocent will seen you transform - doing so in the center of the city would result into reputation drop as well).

That's basically all I wanted to say. If I recall something more, I'll probably edit the post.

Comments

• Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    didnt you lose 1 point of wisdom aswell for using the slayer, permanently?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @Zymran86 you actually lose one or two points of reputation premanently
    @ZelgadisGW actually the slayer form is kinda useful, i remember the first time i played the game on the hardest difficulty and i was fighting the ravanger ( 5th trial after balthazar) i was using the slayer form the whole battle and that was the only way i could win back in the day, i think the real thing about the slayer form is, is usefulness, i think thats what you are more getting at, but at the same time, if its waay too usefull than people would just use nothing but the slayer all the time, unless of coarse they would add some harsh penalty ( i guess that is what the HP loss is for) i guess its one of those things where its needs to be more usefull but no so over powered that, that is the only thing the player will use know what i mean?
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @sarevok57 I have never meant for Slayers form to be too powerfull, rather for example, to be more usefull in combat that PC normal form (especially I mean warriors, who are often way more powefull in ToB than Slayer). In addition, I want playing Evil have some benefits as well: extending the time you're in Slayer form after hell trials.

Oh, I've just got an additional idea. Chance for character to go berserk when in Slayer form seems right.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    Hi @Drugar

thanks for the P&P Slayer info. Now I find myself wanting a P&P Slayer mod soooo badly. My P&P OCD is getting worse by the day.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Be happy I didn't post info for the ravager; 30 ft tall humanoid with two 7ft long horns and giant bone fists that can smash buildings!
  • GrungeChlapecGrungeChlapec Member Posts: 12
    Interesting :o
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @Drugar I also thank for P&P info, thought I like in-game Slayer more, because of its "bestiality". But I also think ravager would be hard to implement into actual game.

I'm also happy that at least some people considering Slayer tweaks a good idea. About damage improvement, I had meant his "claw weapon" damage improvement (example, 2k6 +5 instead of 1k6 +5 and such. Thought I have no idea of Slayer's claw weapon real damage).

About hell trials, I've said that it would decrease drawbacks from transformation, for example, by expending time PC could last in this form. And that's OK. Aside from that, there is other problems regarding Slayers, just like I've and @AndreaColombo said - Slayer form is just weak in Throne of Bhaal, at least in my opinion.

PS. Slayer's form still recieves bonuses to Thac0, AC if player is Kensai or Swash. Should it be fixed, maybe?
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    @sarevok57 thanks sarevok for the reply, i really think this should be changed to make the slayer more viable for evil players, im alright with losing a reputation point after ive used it a few times, but everytime just makes it not worth it...
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    What I also hated is that we lost the spells/abilities we had before when we got the slayer form!
    And sure, they are not that useful at that part of the game, a vampiric touch, cure liht wounds still could come very handy in certain situations. If I could have been able to choose, I would have liked to keep the spells instead of the Slayer form, which is, as I agree with @ZelgadisGW, pretty useless, not to mention the price you pay for turning. If you wanted to keep a decent reputation, or as an evil char, a reputation high enough so that guards won't attack you, you really couldnt use it more than a couple of times throuh the game. (I'm not saying that the penilty should be so low, that you could spam it...)
    @Zymran86, yeah losing rep after each use does hurt its usability quite a bit, you already take huge damage while being in the form i think repuation loss isnt really necessary
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    @sarevok57 maybe put a limit on rep loss? 2 at first one, 1 for each subsequent, until total of 3 or 4 uses.
    1st: -2
    2nd: -1
    3rd: -1
    4th: -1
    5th and after: 0
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I never used slayer much because of the ominous warnings the game gives you. Can't you get stuck in slayer form? Much less the berserk attack everyone behavior. After that I just quit using it.
    @smeagolheart i think its just more of a story type thing saying not to use it, you never get stuck in that form and the only time you ever go beserk is the 2nd time you transfom into in spellhold
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    @smeagolheart i think its just more of a story type thing saying not to use it, you never get stuck in that form and the only time you ever go beserk is the 2nd time you transfom into in spellhold
    oh cool, I never tried further I just ignored slayer form after those warnings.

yeah, theoritically you can use it a million times, just repuation loss and hp loss, that be the only downside
  • ArcticArctic Member Posts: 76
    edited December 2012
    I dont like the reputation loss , it made me never use the slayer in old times, the damage and a chance to go berserker should be enought

And if you kill a inocent you will lose a lot of it, so why lose just for transform.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind a Slayer tweak to make it more inviting for those who want to use it. The P&P version of the Slayer sounds quite interesting. It's a shame we can't earn a couple of slayer spells or upgrade to Ravager in ToB.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I think ToB Ascension allows you to change into the Ravager after completing its trial in the Pocket Plane for a -3 rep penalty.