Skip to content

Are there any traps/locks in BG/BG2/TOB that require more than 100 skill?

PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
I think I read somewhere that there are not, but I could have sworn I came across one one day...

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited October 2012
    I could be wrong but isn't their one in Durlag's tower? If I'm not mistaken the alter where you get the tome of understanding is high level. It may require less than 100 that I'm not sure.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    bg2: acid trap in neb's house.
  • ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86
    There's also a trap that needs a higher disarm skill than Imoen can bring in Ust Natha in the underdark (a shelf in some house). The trap always goes of when trying to disarm it.

Also, as mentioned by bbear, the acid trap in neb's house needs a very high disarm skill (don't know how much).

Other than that, Imoen can open all locks and disarm all traps in BG2, so 85 in lockpicking is enough for the entire game (at least in BG2 and TOB). Her disarm skill is even lower than that (was it like 65?), so when only reducing it to disarming and lockpicking, you will never need a true-class thief. If anything goes wrong, there is also a ring in the game that boosts both stats.

Basicly, when getting access to the 25-str hammer, you don't need lockpicking at all (at least if you don't care about the xp) as you can break every lock in the game.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    I don't suppose there's any way to know for sure what skill they require?

I guess you could bring along a couple of potions of master theivery, but it would still be nice to know exactly how high you can raise them without wasting points.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I'm sure somewhere at some time, someone figured out the absolute minimum threshold you'd need for every trap/lock, but the only way it'll ever matter is if your PC is a thief or you bring Jan, and if you rush 100 each on both those skills, you can rest assured you can bypass the lock or trap with ease. It's not like even a multi-class thief will have to worry about it all that much. You get plenty of points.

I played through the entire saga this summer and think there was maybe a trap or two I couldn't bypass with potions of Master Thievery on Imoen. Haul a couple of them around. If you somehow can't get past a locked chest, that's what "Knock" is for.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Knock and the Super Hammer of Smashing Stuff Open. It's more of a problem in the original game where you don't get the Knock spell til a good way through and not many castings of it at that.
  • Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    I used the oil... something sphere to protect my thief if he couldn't disarm the trap. Protected from all damage but immobile for a while as I recall. Was an amusing way to avoid high level trap damage.