Skip to content

It's not the size of your party, but...

What is your ideal party, class-wise. Not looking for specific NPC combinations but actual race/class combinations that complement each other best. Currently thinking about building a lean, mean 4-pack with -
½-Orc Berserker
½-Elf Fighter/Cleric
Elf Mage/Thief
Human Sorcerer

The Sorcerer is the one I'm not convinced on so looking for some creative ideas. (I'll probably be picking up NPC's along the way to do their quests)

Comments

• Francois42424Francois42424 Member Posts: 44
    I started a new game with 2 generated character (in MP, then copied it to Single player).
    First one is Half-Orc - Fighter/Thief (open lock first and disarm traps second)
    Second character is Half-Elf - Fighter/Cleric/Mage.
    Both are 92 pts roll, but as a 2 character party, you have to be strong or you'll die lots.

So far they are doing fine on their own, but I've just finished the Friendly Arms and moving to Beregost.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I always try to have at least one front-line fighter (usually a Fighter, but sometimes a Paladin or Fighter/Cleric;) a focused divine caster (preferably single class for spell levels and slots;) a dedicated arcanist (usually Wizard, sometimes Sorcerer, if I have control over their spell learning from level 1;) and someone with thief skills (usually a mixed Rogue of some type, 90% of the time it's Imoen anyway.)

And since I prefer having a full party, that leaves the last two slots for whatever I feel like throwing in. Sometimes that even includes my main character, if he doesn't fit in one of the slots up above.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I usually go with six. I find that "safety in numbers" holds true in this game. Also, I like as many character interactions as possible. I have a hard time sometimes narrowing it down to six.

"I wanted Jan and Mazzy, but then who would I drop? I can't play BG without Minsc, he's the spirit of the game. And Imoen, how could I not take my little sister? I wanted to romance Jaheira, and it'll break permanently if I remove her. Anomen's my best front line fighter and my only dedicated cleric. Decisions, decisions..."
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    When it comes to a 4 man group, I end up with the exactly same setup all the time. Or well, with one variation.

Fighter/Thief
    Ranger/Cleric
    Inquisitor
    Sorcerer

Lots of fighting, all casting covered, Crom, Carso, SotM and Celestial all have owners. It's not the strongest 4 man and I wouldn't use it to run with intense challenge mods, but for normal playthroughs I tend to always return to this setup since it's imho the only way to get everything covered and in perfect amounts.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    The Ideal party ?

a Minimum of 2 People

-First a half Orc Fighter/Cleric CHARNAME between his 19 Strength and 19 Constitution and stacking up Spells 1+2 with Bless/Chant he would bring the pain Dual wielding Hammers, Using Bucklys on rest and travel for free HP regeneration until getting the Book, Baalspawn heals and spare heals for his Group member to negate Splash damage.

-Second a Swashbuckler6/Mage can safely handle all Traps/Locks in game and abuse Potions for Pickpocket cheese. can use throwing daggers with Specialization bonus or just darts/shortbow gets some free AC which adds up if you combine it with 18 Dex and the Spirit Armor.
    Mainly hasting that crazy Halforc and Fireball wanding groups i don't like and interrupting enemy mages.

from there all additions would be just flavor and bagspace since you have the Basics covered.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    I like a party of 5 for chapters 1-4. Managing Inventory for a party of 6 consumes way too much time and mental energy while a party of 5 gives many resources, is easier to manage in melee encounters and less likely to get bogged down in frustrating poor pathfinding decisions, my number one complaint about the game in general.

I am always going to have Imoen dualed at Level 4 or 5 and someone who can cast Animate Dead. I really like Minsc, even though I find his "...and Fucking Steel!!" comment totally unnecessary. I nearly always have either Kivan or Coran.

In the later chapters I might add Yeslick, Quayle, Xan, Edwin or some other NPC for the sake of variety. I like the fact that Quayle is a Cleric Mage so can back up either function. Usually Charname has become a strong Melee player, if not quite a tank by the time we get to Baldur's Gate city.

Recently I have been enjoying having the larger human screen avatar to fight alongside Minsc rather than a typical Elf multiclass or, more rarely, a shortie playthrough.

When it comes to the Tales of the Sword Coast material [Ulgoth's Beard, Durlag's Tower] I cut back party size to 4 just for the heck of it and to ensure that every member is very well equipped.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    I just finished a BG1 playthrough, and have decided I want another, I already rolled the characters...

Two characters this time, a couple. An elf mage/thief, and a half-elf ranger/cleric, this should have every option needed to complete the game. It might be hard though, but the whole party should be able to hide about 90% around lvl6, which makes avoiding nasty stuff easier.

Got a nice 90 points with 18/97(18/18/10/18/8) for the ranger/cleric (will be using twin maces and a sling), and 90 for the mage/thief (10/18/16/18/10/18, shortbow and dagger)

I think this will be interesting, not as challenging as a solo playthrough, but I don't think I have the patience to do that again.

I am debating which will be the protagonist, the wizard could have a familiar, but for the ranger the good abilities compliment his role better. I think the wizard will win out though, because I already have a ranger to do the BG2 stronghold quest with.

This is not the party you'd take to the werewolf island.