Skip to content

Hail!

ModernLifeModernLife Member Posts: 14
edited October 2012 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
Hail All! I am a new member to this forum, though I have been stalking it as a guest for awhile now. On top of being a new member here, I am a new discoverer of BG (I am looking forward to the EE, but couldn't wait so started playing now while I wait for the release in Nov.). How exciting this game is but how difficult it seems to be. I am not new to the DnD games (Have played NWN 1 and 2 amongst others in the past) but this one seems to be unrelenting on a whole different level. I thought myself not a complete noob to the dnd ruleset but I seem lost.

On that note, what do you guys recommend for encounters/exploring dungeons? More specifically, I have made it to the mage in the Naskel(sp?) mines quite safely but seem to just stay stuck at him. I have debated turning the complexity down to easy just to get past it but my pride won't let me. Any tips? Leave party back and just let strongest fighter talk to him? Should they remain out of that room altogether?

Also, if it helps, the only mod I am running is EasyTuTu, should anything else be ran during a first playthrough?

Sorry, if I have commenced to rambling. Excited to have found this community. Thanks for any help! Looking forward to BG:EE and furthering my quest.
Brudeginger_hammerMoomintroll

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    What is your party at the moment? We'l be able to help more if we know what you have at your disposal.
    GrandeC
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    Don't be afraid to make mistakes, just save often! Your party will probably change a bit through the game, remember to check whether the other members are good/evil as they will leave if you don't keep them happy by doing good/bad things. Also some just hate each other!
    Just take it slow, have your thief search for traps in dungeons, use pause to your advantage and have fun!
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I like archery against mages usually, as it can definitely interrupt spells. The Nashkell Mage is challenging, but beatable. I had more trouble with the reinforcements coming in than I did with him.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    So, who all read the thread title and hear Kivan in their head?

"Hail! It is not often that I come across strangers in this part of the world."
    HaHaCharadeBrudeDragonspear
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    As others have said, archery is great in this game. Depends on your party - he can be charmed, interrupted with arrows or magic missile, or magic missile wand, or just swords! Party members dying can be borne out, either dropping them or resurrecting them later.

Keep playing, it only gets better :D
  • ModernLifeModernLife Member Posts: 14
    My current party is myself(second lvl fighter), Imoen(3rd level), Minsk(2nd lvl), Dynaheir (1st lvl), Kalid (2nd lvl), Jaheira (2nd lvl) Yeah I dont know what my problem is, I have everyone equipped with ranged weapons and have dynaheir use magic missile on the mage, but once his minions all appear it just seems to constantly be game over (can make it through but normally dynaheir dies, was wanting to keep her as party's mage for now :/ is she worth it?)
    edited October 2012

My current party is myself(second lvl fighter), Imoen(3rd level), Minsk(2nd lvl), Dynaheir (1st lvl), Kalid (2nd lvl), Jaheira (2nd lvl) Yeah I dont know what my problem is, I have everyone equipped with ranged weapons and have dynaheir use magic missile on the mage, but once his minions all appear it just seems to constantly be game over (can make it through but normally dynaheir dies, was wanting to keep her as party's mage for now :/ is she worth it?)

Dynaheir is hands-down the worst mage of all four of them in the game. However, I understand you may want to keep her. Keep in mind if she dies you can just raise her at a temple. Little hefty price to do as such, but at times it is proper to take the hit.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    edited October 2012
    @ModernLife Well your strategy during that fight might be poor. In the unmodded game there's a way you can use positioning and CC to make that encounter a snap.

But I'm also thinking it's probably not you. At those levels, Khalid, Jaheira and Imoen have reaaaaaaally high thac0s. Dynaheir couldn't hit the broad side of barn if her life depended on it. Minsc will hit things just fine, but he's also got a slow attack speed and only 1 or 1.5 APR at level 2. In other words, the bulk of the party's damage is probably coming from your PC and that makes bigger fights that require interrupts and burst more difficult.

@Quartz She's Lawful Good, iirc. Raising her at the temple in Nashkel or the one outside of Bergost should be around 200g, iirc.
    Brude said:

@Quartz She's Lawful Good, iirc. Raising her at the temple in Nashkel or the one outside of Bergost should be around 200g, iirc.

200g isn't chump change near the start of the game where he is. But that isn't much, I'll admit. Cool that you have that figured
    So I am thinking if I play through it tonight and just she falls I will just move along with it and replace her with that cleric in stone at the carnival grounds. Haven't been able to play this week as work and schooling and trying to balance this game was becoming too much. But, ITS THE WEEKEND! Definately time to unwind and take over the role of my PC, not this hectic normal life.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Magic aside, what I normally do is run into the little room where Mulahey is, right to the far end, then hold the entrance to the room against all the re-enforcements, that way you only have one front (as Mulahey tends to try and leave the room anyway and you can hold off enemies with your armoured characters. Everyone else I use to attack Mulahey with missile weapons, hoping to disrupt his magic.
    Brude
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    It's D&D, so it's okay if you're not auto-attacking in melee with characters like mages and thieves. They won't hit anything and are at high risk.

Part of the problem is you're utilizing a really low level party for that. Ideally, you want everyone to at least be level 2 if not level 3 by the time you get to the end of that. Getting sidetracked exploring the random encounter wastelands and making sure you finish every last single iota of non-combat quests goes a long way toward helping.

Normally, I spam Sleep with Xan, my PC if he's a mage or bard, or Imoen but Dynaheir can't cast it. Ugh Invoker. Such a bad kit.

Check your inventory for potions. If you have ANY potions that offer combat-related buffs or increased AC or whatever, chug that stuff like it's your morning coffee: your day depends on it.
    Brude
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Also: Mulhahey is *highly* vulnerable to the level one Cleric spell "Command."

Hit him with this at the outset and he's an easy kill. Then you can deal with the adds. (Alternativly, you can use multiple castings of Command to keep him out of the fight entirely, kill all the adds, them kill him).

Part of the problem is you're utilizing a really low level party for that. Ideally, you want everyone to at least be level 2 if not level 3 by the time you get to the end of that. Getting sidetracked exploring the random encounter wastelands and making sure you finish every last single iota of non-combat quests goes a long way toward helping.

Oh I see, I found this statement really insightful, I thought I was doing good with this by getting them to lvl 2 because it seemed to take quite awhile to effectively do(it was also a time for me to expiriment with different formations and spells etc.) apparently I am still very much learning but I am so sucked into this game. I might back track and have my party work on leveling up and whatnot maybe play around some more before attempting again. Would it be better for me to revert to a save before I ever entered the mines or is it safe for me to just leave and come back? Is there any penalties for doing such a thing? I feel like such a n00b asking so much at the first real story quest for your Character. I am determined to grasp this game before the EE comes out.

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    No penalties for backtracking - though to be honest it would be a good learning curve to tough out the fight and win with the results that you want (everyone dead, minimal loss of HP/consumables from your party and no PCs dead).
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    I usually clear out all the south-west maps before adventuring in the mines. Also

what I normally do is run into the little room where Mulahey is, right to the far end, then hold the entrance to the room against all the re-enforcements

this position is important if you place your characters wisely (adding an entangle with Jaheira on the kobolds/skeletons is a plus).

Oh I see, I found this statement really insightful, I thought I was doing good with this by getting them to lvl 2 because it seemed to take quite awhile to effectively do(it was also a time for me to expiriment with different formations and spells etc.) apparently I am still very much learning but I am so sucked into this game. I might back track and have my party work on leveling up and whatnot maybe play around some more before attempting again. Would it be better for me to revert to a save before I ever entered the mines or is it safe for me to just leave and come back? Is there any penalties for doing such a thing? I feel like such a n00b asking so much at the first real story quest for your Character. I am determined to grasp this game before the EE comes out.

One of the things they don't tell you is that it's a bad idea to run with a full party immediately. You level better if you use just 4 people. Once you hit level 2 or 3 with all them, any guy you recruit will be at that same level. It helps a lot.

And, no, there are no penalties to running away and coming back later. There's only a handful of time-sensitive quests in the game and you'll definitely know when you get to them.
    edited October 2012

One of the things they don't tell you is that it's a bad idea to run with a full party immediately. You level better if you use just 4 people. Once you hit level 2 or 3 with all them, any guy you recruit will be at that same level. It helps a lot.

One of the hidden truths of Baldur's Gate. I didn't beat the game until 10 years after I got it because of that. I was playing it off and on, sure, but still...

My first party to beat the game was Kagain/PC Cleric/Imoen/Edwin. Just four. Worked like a charm; tough team. They weren't going to beat Durlag's Tower or anything, but they were good.
    Played through it, lost dynaheir, replaced very shortly after with Xan. He already seems a way better fit for my party/play style anyways. And we are moving along........
    Moomintroll

Played through it, lost dynaheir, replaced very shortly after with Xan. He already seems a way better fit for my party/play style anyways. And we are moving along........

A nice choice. Xan's a bit odd, but definitely awesome if you know what you're doing. Dynaheir is awful anyway. Invoker = worst Mage ever
    Well on columbus day xan died by being exploded into a million bits. After the party cleaned themselves up and contemplated on what it meant for them they have moved on.
    Moomintroll
    Yeah that's the downside to Xan. Guy cannot take a hit. I'm usually able to get his AC down to the 1 to -1 range but even then, if he does take damage that's usually it.

Next time, I highly recommend devoting one of your level 1 spells to "Armor." It lasts for 9 hours so you don't have to worry about more than a single cast and it singlehandedly keeps your mages and bards from being instant deads until you pick up Robes of the Archmagi. As soon as a new day begins, cast it.

I usually brought a couple castings of Protection from Evil (ignore the spell description, it just gives a flat 2 AC bonus and 2 saving throw bonus), and once I hit 3rd level I grab Protection from Normal Missiles.

You might want to think about dual-classing Imoen to mage around level 5 or 6. If you do, make sure to pick up another thief. Safana is just chilling in one of the maps along the coastlines and fills the role pretty nicely while you're recovering your thief levels with Imoen. It's just you're running out of wizard options and IMO mages are just too important. Imoen is a lot more durable than any other mage you can recruit, so she's got that going for her.
    MoomintrollQuartz