Skip to content

[SOD/2.1] Longer Shop UI for FHD(1080p)

fantasmafantasma Member Posts: 35
edited April 2016 in UI Modding
screenshot:
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/272842274221643967/9A57FD7C3C8862280670DCCCC4CCEED44819204E/

Only works for SOD because the back panel is modified version of default SOD's UI
ui.menu is modified from 2.1
And the back panel is also just a crude mod I did with pbrush.exe

installation: extract and copy content into override folder

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I like it, but I hope someone can figure out a way soon to import sections of the UI.menu file since I don't want overwrite the whole UI.menu file from Pecca's mod. I guess I can compare them side by side in Notepad++ for now. Thanks!
  • chilvencechilvence Member Posts: 50
    I don't know anything at all about lua, but surely it has the capability to include other scripts right? I hope so, because it's pretty horrible to work on a 10k+ long file :/
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    mf2112 said:

I like it, but I hope someone can figure out a way soon to import sections of the UI.menu file since I don't want overwrite the whole UI.menu file from Pecca's mod. I guess I can compare them side by side in Notepad++ for now. Thanks!

@mf2112
    suggest trying winmerge for side by side comparisoning...

mf2112 said:

@mf2112
    suggest trying winmerge for side by side comparisoning...
    Oh yeah, I am already doing that with notepad++ to combine several of the ideas here on top of Pecca's widescreen mod package. I was just thinking about a better way to insert sections into the file without overwriting the whole file. I guess I am kinda dreaming about maybe some kind of text menu similar to BG2Tweaks where you could choose different game options and the script would change the ui.menu options accordingly.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I use np++ also, just for comparisons winmerge takes both line by line and lines them up, very nice. just a suggestion.

Yeah ui.menu despite being moddable does not seem multiple mod-friendly.
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    There's a compare plugin for np++ that does the same, highlighting the differences line by line for you.

In theory, if each person that made changes had some kind of toggle on/off for their changes then the UI itself could then select which components to use from the UI.menu - the issue would be that all components would need to be coded into one master file.

For example, Here's for UI.menu with elements 1234568 and another UI.menu 123756. It's easy enough to have a toggle option that lets you switch between element 4 and element 7, and another toggle to deactivate option 8, but all elements would need to be coded in the same UI.menu 12347568.

That's easy to manage when there are 2 or 3 minor changes in a UI.menu but when you potentially get hundreds the master file would become unwieldy and managing conflicts/control of the file would become impossible.

Ideally, there'd be a program that manages the original UI.menu which rebuilds and changes the file based on your selections. Each modder would then select the sections of code that their mod changes and the program would manage conflicts, and assuming all is well, build your custom UI.menu based on your selections.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Mr2150 said:

That's easy to manage when there are 2 or 3 minor changes in a UI.menu but when you potentially get hundreds the master file would become unwieldy and managing conflicts/control of the file would become impossible.

Ideally, there'd be a program that manages the original UI.menu which rebuilds and changes the file based on your selections. Each modder would then select the sections of code that their mod changes and the program would manage conflicts, and assuming all is well, build your custom UI.menu based on your selections.

This is the exact problem modern version control software (e.g. git) was designed to solve. The hard part is coming up with a standard that everyone uses.
    cmk24 said:

Mr2150 said:

This is the exact problem modern version control software (e.g. git) was designed to solve. The hard part is coming up with a standard that everyone uses.
    Is there a way to use github for this? I guess that is the standards question. There is no one system everyone prefers or uses now.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    mf2112 said:

cmk24 said:

Mr2150 said:

Is there a way to use github for this? I guess that is the standards question. There is no one system everyone prefers or uses now.
    Gitgub's API supports all git commands, so a web interface with various check boxes that run a series of branch merges and produces a zip file of the resulting override folder could be done. The only requirement would be that all mod components be branched from the same master so they can be merged. Also mods resulting in conflicts should not be allowed to be checked at the same time, of just send a message to the user saying what mods conflict.