Skip to content

Diablę czy diabelstwo?

cherrycoke2lcherrycoke2l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,085
edited October 2012 in Polski
Ponieważ rozgorzała dyskusja i trzeba dojść do jakiegoś rozwiązania, ogłaszam ankietę :D Tłumaczenie w BG:EE będzie zależało od jej wyników. Dyskusja tutaj: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2417/tlumaczenie-pl-pomoc-i-sugestie#latest

Dyskutujemy oczywiście nad tłumaczeniem rasy – w oryginale Tiefling.
  1. Diablę czy diabelstwo?84 votes
    1. Diablę
      27.38%
    2. Diabelstwo
      72.62%
Post edited by cherrycoke2l on

Comments

• sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Anyone know what language this is in? Google translator can't figure it out on it's own.
  • LazarytaLazaryta Member Posts: 53
    Polish
  • RabainRabain Member Posts: 39
    Well the link is to the polish translation forum so I assume it is polish.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    It sounds Polish to me.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Yes, it is Polish. A word of advice: NEVER trust google translator when it comes to Polish. The mash of words it tries to spit at you would be hilarious if they weren't so headache-inducing. :)
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Why not leave the race name "Tiefling"? Can't be too difficult to pronounce in Polish, I assume.
  • cherrycoke2lcherrycoke2l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,085
    edited October 2012
    [usunięte]
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @cherrycoke2l

You can actually move it yourself. :) Edit your opening post and change the category in the dropdown box above the text.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @The_New_Romance
    The same reason you may know game "The Witcher" as "The Witcher", rather than "Wiedźmin", which is the original name of Geralt's profession. Pronunciation aside, I expect that it looks to you like just a random cluster of letters, doesn't it? It doesn't fit in with the language, and it doesn't give you any clue about its meaning, while translated 'witcher' gives you a vague idea that it's related to witches/witching.
    Translations are tricky things, especially when dealing with made up words. This poll is about deciding whether they should leave the old translation, which most of people are well used to, or change it to arguably more accurate version. As for 'tiefling' suggestion, leaving random words in different language in a localized version of game is... lazy/annoying/pretentious/unprofessional/a_pet_peeve_of_mine. ;)
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    Lo and behold, let the less unsuitable translation win.
  • CronoCrono Member Posts: 33
    po dogłebnej analizie argumentów z obu stron, ostatecznie stawiam na starsza wersje ma jednak w sobie to coś.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    @Sytnia13
    I understand what the poll is about. I just don't see a problem with an invented proper noun like "Tiefling" not being translated. For example, in our German D&D versions, "tiefling" is also a "tiefling". It still looks somewhat random and translates to "deepling", but it's just the name of the race. Baatezu are also called Baatezu in German, and I'd guess in Spanish and French as well. That's why I proposed to just use tiefling. I don't think it's annoying, as you just can't translate everything. You wouldn't translate "Tesco" in a British novel into "Aldi" in its German translation, either. But alas, I didn't mean to derail the thread.
    @The_New_Romance – I wouldn't be surprised if the name "tiefling" actually refered to the German adjective "tief". After all, they're descendats of being of Lower Planes which you could say are located "deeply" under the ground – though I'm of course aware of location of Hell/Abyss in D&D. This could have been used because words "tief" and "deep" are relatively similar, and this perhaps gives some feeling of understanding of the term for English-speakers; this might also indicate this is some sort of archaism. But, these are just my random guesses, probably untrue :P

Anyway, translations seem often to be slightly irrational. AFAIK, you translate name Silverymoon in German, while in Polish texts it remains Silverymoon. On the other hand, you leave Tiefling, we make up a new name. It's all about what people have already been used to. The conflict that goes here is about translation of the race in D&D handbooks vs that of D&D-related games.

diablę - (handbooks translation) is a made up noun which could be translated back as "deviling" – a little devil, something like that (which, alas, completely ignores the fact tieflings may be offspring of demons as well)

diabelstwo (games translation) is an already existing noun which means something inherently, devilishly evil. But I would associate it with a deed, definitely not a living being.
  • LuckyLucky Member Posts: 645
    A ja nowatorsko - 'diablę'. Jakaś nowość, jakiś powiew; choć i tak nie przepadam za sferowcami i raczej nie będę ich tolerował w drużynie.
  • BercikBercik Member Posts: 10
    Diabelstwo, w języku polskim jest już wystarczająco dużo neologizmów, żeby zaśmiecać go kolejnymi.
  • IlphalarIlphalar Member Posts: 68
    edited October 2012
    Cóż, ostatecznie i tak zadecydują tutaj gusta większości, bo i trudno kruszyć o to kopie ;-) ale ja opowiedziałem się za diablęciem, ponieważ postrzegam to jak raz odwrotnie niż kolega powyżej. Skoro mamy już w języku polskim wyraz "diabelstwo" (który i tak posiada przynajmniej dwojakie znaczenie: po pierwsze jako cecha lub działanie (patrz @The_New_Romance i @cherrycoke2l wyżej) - diaboliczność, złośliwość; po drugie jako byt abstrakcyjny / bliżej nieokreślone zjawisko / dziwadło, jak w zdaniach "a cóż to za diabelstwo", "jak pozbyć się tego diabelstwa" itp.) to po co przydawać mu kolejne znaczenie skoro możemy wymyślić zupełnie nowy wyraz na określenie żywej (diabelskiej ;-) ) istoty.
    Po prostu napiszmy DIABLO i czekajmy na pozew.
  • pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    Diablę brzmi dziwnie jak dla mnie diabelstwo normalnie co do tłumaczenia google translate jest nie dokładne czasem źle dobiera słowa i tłumaczy w kontekście.
    Co by nie było, i tak się szybko przyzwyczaję podczas gry.
  • zdechlakzdechlak Member Posts: 75
    czemu diable i diabelstwo, może np: bies
    ale nie jestem pewien, może zostać przy oryginale albo przekopać podręczniki do demonologii jestem pewien że któryś ze świętych ojców kościoła wykuł termin idealnie pasujący
    Dobra, dobra, nie galopujmy. Bies to zupełnie inne bajka.
    Bies już jest w BG2 - taki czorny cień wysysający poziomy.
  • maneromanero Member Posts: 392
    Diabelstwo. Wg. mnie diablę brzmi po prostu kretyńsko.
    Myślę, że to dobra pora na podsumowanie. Diabelstwo zostaje =)
    Tak, zostaje. Aż jeden wpis w BG:EE. :P
    Pwnage :P
This discussion has been closed.