Skip to content

Help me out with some modding

ChadChad Member Posts: 90
Hey all, been trudging through BG:EE a little at a time (I only can play maybe 30 minutes here, an hour there due to work, family, life...) Anyway, having last played BGT megamod with insane amounts of mods I know I do NOT want that. I find it pushes me AWAY from playing when you take the ~120 hours of BG/BGII/TOB and expand it to more like 250. Anyway, getting to the point, I want to add some mods, but would like opinions, facts, ideas about what a good core is. Here is the mods that I am CERTAIN I will be adding:

Rogue Rebalancing - Mostly for bard/blade changes, I generally leave potions as is since it's no fun to have them become useless about half way through BGII.

BG1 NPC Project - Not for the romance so much as simply for having some discussions to break up the monotony of trudging about the Coast.

***NPC Enhanced for everyone is a new mod that let's you pick the class / subclass for your companions, but is this opposed to NPC Project or do they work with each other? Or is this similar to the level 1 NPC Mod? I would definitely like to 'play' with some of the companions classes to make Xan a Fighter/Mage in a Neutral play through or change Kivan to an Archer in a Nature theme play through. Is it better to just use EE Keeper for this or should I go with NPC Enhanced for Everyone or is Level 1 NPC compatible/a better choice?

Now...Here is where there are a few mods I am considering/undecided on:

Unfinished Business - This is almost a slam dunk for me as it really annoys me that there is still nothing to be done with the ore/mysterious liquid. Really wish that had been corrected in the base game, but looks like UB is still needed. However, I have also read that UB adds some items that can negatively impact game balance as well (helm of charm protection, for instance). Would love some feedback on pro's / cons!

BG Tweaks - I've read some posts citing this mod as MUST HAVE and others saying not needed in EE... Which is it?

SCS - I had this (still have it) in my Classic BGT install and I'm on the fence because while it does make some battles more difficult, which I mostly like... However, I recall my last couple of playthroughs having a few spots where I was annoyed by just how difficult it was. I know SCS is broken down in components and I read a bit of the 'how hard is SCS thread', but is there a thorough breakdown of the install options and what they do? Better calls for help and improved mage battles, rogues using stealth/invisibility seems fine, but having endless mobs attacking during the Daevaern battle after clearing the levels leading to him I could probably do without! :blush:

Lastly, any *MUST HAVE* mods I missed for BGEE (just talking 1 right now, I don't know when I will get to SoD or BG2:EE)? I found a thread on install order, but if anyone wants to just type up the install order for just these mods that'd be super, for ease of use, thought I'll figure it out if not. :)

Thanks in advance to any kindly helpers out there. I don't have the time for gaming I once had, otherwise I would be far less lazy and piece together this information from the various threads over the past few years, but unfortunately the searching I have done has made it apparent if I try to figure all this out myself I won't end up doing any mod installs any time soon.

EDIT: Just realized there is a modding section for each game so if this belongs in that area a moderator can feel free to move my post...sorry about that.

Comments

• HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    BG2 Tweaks now has a specific EE version and is still highly recommend by me for basics such as higher stacks of ammo or whatever else takes your fancy.

The best breakdown of SCS components is the SCS readme on the g3 mods page itself. It's very concise and easy to understand in my opinion.
  • ChadChad Member Posts: 90
    Thanks! Any details on NPC's for everyone or level 1 NPCs?