Skip to content

Anyone getting a tablet specifically for this?

KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
I'd like to preempt this message by saying I don't think this post belongs in the iPad forum. That one falls under 'Support', and besides, I include Android in this category.

I've always been a fan of tablets but outside of some interesting things such as mail and internet, I've never felt that I could justify the purchase, until I heard of BG & BGII coming to both the iPad and Android systems. For me, they instantly transform these devices into serious gaming platforms worth hours and hours of fun.

Ever since those things were popularized a few years ago I've dreamt of a tablet version of Baldur's Gate. The controls seems perfect for it (hold and drag to move the screen, pinch to select your players, tap to direct movements and actions). And so I'm finally considering buying one when BG is out. Anyone else out there who's doing the same?

Comments

• salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    I had been considering an iPad for a little while but not with enough enthusiasm to fork out the cash. Like you said, the announcement that BGEE would be available on iPad totally changed the playing field. I got my iPad just over a month ago and the calibre of games seems to be steadily improving. Ok there's loads of junk on the appstore, but the recently released Bastion and Rayman go to show that you really can have quality games on tablets after all.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I honestly consider tablets a useless piece of technology.

When I heard about the iPad for the first time, my opinion of the thing is that it was just a bigger iPod. To me its just a device that's too big to fit in my pocket to use as an iPod, and too limited to replace my laptop.

In the last few years though, since Wizards of the Coast is starting to publish their novels in e-Book format only (something that I simply hate because I much prefer reading from an actual physical book instead of a screen), to keep reading my favorite books comfortably (I don't like reading on my PC or laptop) I'll be buying a tablet.

I'll probably buy the Kindle Fire HD since its cheaper than an iPad. If BGEE ends up working on it I might give it a try.
  • KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    @Tanthalas You don't think games like BG greatly enhance the experience?
  • BlaveBlave Member Posts: 39
    I just recently bought an android tablet. And while I wouldn't say "specifically", BG:EE surely had its fair part in making the decision.
    @Kenyon

I honestly always felt that touch-screens in gaming felt gimmicky (as in the DS, 3DS, Vita and the upcoming WiiU).

Though BG on tablets can function very well (in several aspects its actually a much better control scheme than a mouse) but, for me personally, it'll have the same problem that I have playing other games with touch-screen functions on the DS or 3DS. I'm basically holding the device for extended periods of time with only one hand, and that eventually tires me and makes playing those games very uncomfortable. I don't have this problem playing regular games with a mouse/controller/normal controls on handhelds.

And if I'm buying a portable device for gaming, I prefer a handheld like the Vita or 3DS because these have actual buttons and analog sticks, than a tablet that will always be limited to using the touch-screen.
  • KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    @Tanthalas I understand. I have a different playing style. I sit at the desk for work, but for relaxation I'd much rather lean back on the couch or even the bed. My favorite two genres happen to be point and click adventures like Monkey Island or Broken Sword (both available for tablets) and isometric RPGs. :)
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    I bought an ASUS pad recently.. and BGEE was the deciding factor to make the purchase. Very happy with it, I hardly use my comp anymore =)
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Tanthalas said:

@Kenyon

I honestly always felt that touch-screens in gaming felt gimmicky (as in the DS, 3DS, Vita and the upcoming WiiU).

Though BG on tablets can function very well (in several aspects its actually a much better control scheme than a mouse) but, for me personally, it'll have the same problem that I have playing other games with touch-screen functions on the DS or 3DS. I'm basically holding the device for extended periods of time with only one hand, and that eventually tires me and makes playing those games very uncomfortable. I don't have this problem playing regular games with a mouse/controller/normal controls on handhelds.

And if I'm buying a portable device for gaming, I prefer a handheld like the Vita or 3DS because these have actual buttons and analog sticks, than a tablet that will always be limited to using the touch-screen.

I'm using a case with built in stand which allows me to sit comfortably in my couch, playing games, reading, surfing etc.
    Only occasionally I have to us a hand to support it, and only slightly.

Even if you don't use a stand like mine, if you rest the iPad on your lap, you only have to support it, not carry it.

Here's a link to a stand similar to mine:
    http://areacellphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/ipad-convertible-book-case.jpg
  • KlonoaKlonoa Member Posts: 93
    I mostly agree with Tanthalas, but I imagine if you travel a lot its a great investment.

That sucks about the ebooks. I spend too much time looking at screens already, reading paperbacks gives me a (much needed) break from that.
    edited October 2012
    One advantage of ipad is that everything just looks so much better on this screen than on my laptop. In particular, the screenshots look amazing on ipad, so I'm anticipating the that version looking just that little bit more vibrant.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I mostly agree with Tanthalas as well, generally don't enjoy handheld devices as they always in some way appear to take away from the experience in comparison to a well-built pc. The screen may be smaller, or the sound of worse quality, the controls not as sharp, and if you want to modify something it's generally 20 times the hassle, even if it's something simple like resizing an image and moving it to a different folder. Advanced modding you likely cannot even do at all.

So in short, if playing BG on a pc is like having a three-course dinner at a restaurant, a tablet would make me feel like I had that same extensive dinner while packed into the backseat of a small car. I'd still get the nourishment, but wouldn't be able to savour the experience nearly as much. I guess I'd do it if I were really, really hungry and had no way to get to the restaurant for a long time.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @Tanthalas I abhor reading from a computer screen, though I have read short stories this way. Have you used a kindle? my brother has one, it wasn't what I expected at all, the image generation is just not the same technology as a computer screen, you aren't staring at a luminous box but looking at reflected light.
    @Moomintroll

I did consider getting a regular Kindle precisely because of that, but the lack of colours on the screen for the book covers is what's making me consider the Kindle Fire instead (yes, I'm shallow).
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    @Kenyon I`m with you on this one. Getting Nexus7 to play BGEE.
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    Nope. Still not sold the game will control nearly as well as on pc.
  • LugeLuge Member Posts: 90
    I'm keeping a close eye on the cost of a Microsoft Surface.

A tablet with a Windows OS will let me play all my old games on the go! Plus, it will be compatible with all my work applications and emails.

L.
  • CyhortCyhort Member Posts: 78
    Nah. At some point I'm gonna get one of those new Kindle Fire's just because I want a Kindle that has full color and I'd like to be able to stay in my bed to check Twitter and stuff like that, but I can't see myself ever playing a game on one. I despise touchpads. Most games I've played on tablets feel awkward and weird and even for a game like BG that might work I'd still rather use a keyboard and mouse. I just need to get a better desk chair so maybe my stupid tailbone can finally heal. *glares at broken chair*
    I would say that, probably since university, I have been totally unable to regard a desktop computer as anything remotely recreational. I could no longer be comfortable sitting at a desk, hands on the keyboard and mouse etc. to play games.

I don't have a very desk oriented job, but I spend at least the last hour of my day on a PC, and the thought of booting one up for fun when I get home gives me the shivers. It just seems such a bizarre way of absorbing any kind of entertainment media to me now.

I much prefer to sit on the sofa with my feet up. I also find it feels much less isolating without the experience being any less immersive. If I'm on the sofa with the iPad, laptop* or 3DS, I can chat with my partner, keep an eye on the tv, generally feel more 'at home' and, crucially, not inflicting it on others, while still having the game right there in my hands. Even gaming on a TV console takes over the whole room.

*Whatever your reservations about touch-screen gaming, it's a million times better than using a laptop touchpad for a game like BG.
  • shawnppickettshawnppickett Member Posts: 25
    I've got a kindle fire and like it well enough, though this game has got me seriously considering a Asus Transformer...
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    Galaxy Note 10.1 XD I'm tempted.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Yes! I put in a request with my office for the iPad 3. Fortunately, my request was granted because I do a lot of travel. I plan on installing BG:EE on it whenever it's available.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    I have both but purchased the PC version already figuring that the PC version is where the most modding would be available.
  • j0lssonij0lssoni Member Posts: 53

Why, oh why, would I want to play it on a tablet when screen size is double, triple that, of a tablet when it comes to a home PC or MAC?

Actually, in a game like BGEE where the graphics are basically from the year 1998 despite all the little tweaks, the smaller the screen the better. But I get where you're coming from, I'm PC-masterrace myself as well.

• PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    Anyone getting a tablet specifically for this?

NOT ;P