Skip to content

FOOBAH! The NFL thread

sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
edited October 2012 in Off-Topic
I feel like talking football. Anyone else follow the NFL?

My team is the Steelers. I'm pretty sure we're not going to make the playoffs this year, though the AFC is so damn weak there's still hope.

Pre-season I always make predictions about how's going to make the playoffs and so far it's looking good.
AFC East: Patrtiots- because I mean really
AFC North: Ravens- I knew they'd replace the Steelers as the defacto powerhouse in our divison this year
AFC South: Texans- were my darkhorse to win the AFC totally last year but Shaub got hurt and threw a wrench in that
AFC West: Broncos- best defense in that division and even with a slow start, I figured Manning will gel before the year is up and he's the best QB in that division already
AFC Wildcards: I had the Chargers and Jets here. Jets look done, so it's either Steelers or Bengals filling in this spot.

NFC East: Eagles- I actually think they're done for despite being at the top of the division now. Giants always wake up hot and all 3 of the Eagles wins were luck of the draw.
NFC North: Lions- JESUS CHRIST DETROIT PULL IT TOGETHER. It's nice seeing the Vikings off to a hot start though.
NFC South: Falcons- Easy call here. No head coach for the only other team in this division. Carolina and Tampa Bay are jokes.
NFC West: 49ers- Who'd have thunk the NFC West, who sent a sub .500 win team into the playoffs just two years ago, would be the best division in football?
NFC Wildcards: I had the Giants and Packers here but boy I tell you I am not sure I trust that anymore. After the first month, I think the Giants win their division and the rest of the NFC East sits out. Honestly I couldn't tell you who I think ends up here now.

It's fun being a nerd about something outside of video games. <3

Comments

• AnimewareAnimeware Member Posts: 73
    I'm not super sports fan I watch it once in a while my favorite team will have to be Giants I like the Giants
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    edited October 2012
    @sandmanCCL...i would've clicked like on the thread as a whole, if i could...
    yay football!!
    I also root for the Steelers & have since watching (i date myself here) Lynn Swann playing vs. the Rams in 1980...

AFC East-Patriots...Belichik is a mastermind & they finally have a running game; & who else in the East stands a legitimate shot...the Jets (haha)? Buffalo can beat anyone on a given day, but are positively schizophrenic as to how well they play...
    AFC North-**sigh**Ravens...BUT, Flacco is notoriously inconsistant & this week the Steelers will have their starting defence back for the first time this season...keep the faith...
    AFC South-Texans...unless Schaub gets hurt, or Foster gets hurt; WR Johnson has been playing dinged up, again...but, their defence looks better than ever...love that 3-4 zone-blitz
    AFC West-Chargers...IF Matthews can refrain from fumbling & Gates can stay healthy...Manning has looked inconsistant & doesn't have a good O-line; he's shown his arm-strength isn't quite what it was; i wince every time i see him get hit
    Wildcards-Steelers & Broncos...IF the Steelers D stays healthy...otherwise, **gulp** the Bengals??? gaaaah!

NFC East-Giants...they've proven time & time again that when their backs against the wall they play their best...i see a late season surge, Vick being to inconsistant, Dallas/Jerry Jones sucking, & Washington being a year out...Jerry Jones is the new Al Davis
    NFC North-tough division to call...Detroit has no running game & i will wager Stafford will be injured; J. Cutler is a head case...what is up w/ Green Bay?? Vikings look mighty impressive, but are young...i will say Green Bay will pull their heads out of their a***s & take the division; if they don't, keep an eye on the Vikings...
    NFC South-Falcons...great QB, great WR's & TE, solid running game, solid D (if they stay healthy)
    NFC West-49ers...their defence rocks & they have a great running game...would still like to see more from their QB, but i am a doubter...watch for the Seahawks next year...
    Wildcards-Philadelphia & Packers/Vikings dependant on who takes the NFC North...

SB if the 2 best were to play right now, Texans & Falcons
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I've been saying for too many years, watch out for Seattle. But nothing ever comes of it. They take some impressive wins every now and again but then just totally disappear for way too long, every year.

Looks like we both feel the same way about the majority of the teams. Great minds think alike? (Or it's just really easy to predict what's happening right now, lol)
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Bears. I'm completely surprise for them this season. They're not Super Bowl material yet, but surprised that they're doing so well right now. Also watching them beat the Colts around like a dead horse was (and probably will be for awhile) the best game this season.
    @Wiggles...amongst the problems i have w/ the Bears are: no offensive line, key members of the defence are getting old; how much longer do you see Urlacher & Briggs playing? Urlacher has already stated one of his knees is toast & surgery can do nothing for it...no dependable WR; Hester shows flashes, but disappears at times; Forte is one of my favourite RB's, but he missed the end of last seasons because of injury & has already missed time this season...his # of touches MUST decrease...

@sandmanCCL...my darkhorse for yrs has been the 49ers; Seattle has surprised me...if Lynch stays healthy they have one of the best, if not the best, bruiser-back in the league (oh how i miss Bettis)...
    interesting that the Cardinals get no love despite their hot start...I find Kolb to be a turn-off & their best runner, Wells, is missing big chunks of time...w/out looking it up, i couldn't even tell you who their starting RB is at this point...
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited October 2012
    Hey, Cardinals is 4x1 atm, why he isn't in the list? Arizona is making a fucking nice campaign this year.

Ps: As long Tom Brady play in the Patriots, they're gonna always pass the playoffs, by the way have a little faith in Big Ben :)!

By the way, i cheer for Cardinals but i don't watch much of NFL, i'm more of play Football than watch it. To watch i prefer soccer (i cheer for Fluminense in Brazil by the way, atm is the 1° place in the Brasileirão table).
    I vaguely recall you saying you were from South America somewhere, @kamuizin. I forgot exactly where, though. My two older brothers both lived in Brazil for 2 years and brought home a bunch of soccer jerseys with them. Couldn't tell you any of the teams to save my life, but still.

Anyway, what I listed were my pre-season picks. Cardinals totally have a shot to make the playoffs. I personally don't buy them though. You don't get crushed by St. Louis and expect me to have any faith in your offensive line. They gotta play Seattle again, the Rams again, and the 49ers twice still, all teams with great pass rushes.

Looking at them now: They are 26th in the league in points scored on offense is all. Defense is 3rd in pts. allowed, but still. Their D is really good, but offenses that bad generally don't make the playoffs or don't go far into it if they do.
    Brazil soccer is pretty simple indeed. The most famous teams are from Southeast (the richer part of Brazil) and South.

In Southeast you have:

Rio de Janeiro with - Flamengo (this one you probally know), Fluminense (my team), Vasco and Botafogo.
    São Paulo has - São Paulo, Corintias, Santos (Neymar team) and Palmeiras.
    Mina Gerais - Atlético Mineiro and Cruzeiro.
    Espirito Santo - Has no famous team.

South

Rio Grande do Sul - Gremio and Internacional.

This is the basic more or less. They're not the best or wrost but are the most famous.
    I think I had a Vasco jersey. That's the black and white one with the Iron Cross on it, right?
    Yeah, it's a black crossed line in an white shirt, and a red cross in the left chest. They're famous for win the 2° place, always :)!
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    AFC East: Patriots- Best coach in football and arguably the best quarterback, too.
    AFC North: Ravens- I'd actually like to see them go all the way this year. It'd be cool for Ray Lewis to get another ring before he retires.
    AFC South: Texans- The best team in football right now. Wade Phillips has really turned their defense into something special.
    AFC West: Chargers- They've already got two wins on the road and are 2-0 in the division. Broncos are the only team capable of challenging them, but I think they'll be a wildcard playoff team.

NFC East: Giants- The Cowboys are a mess and Vick won't last the season. I think Eli gets his team into the playoffs yet again.
    NFC North: Packers- Hard to pick against an offense this good.
    NFC South: Falcons- Matty Ice is a beast this season. It's just fun watching him play.
    NFC West: 49ers- God help the rest of the division when my Seahawks get their offense sorted out, though. The special teams and defense are already playoff caliber, in my opinion.
    edited October 2012
    @rexreg
    rexreg said:

@Wiggles..."amongst the problems i have w/ the Bears are: no offensive line, key members of the defence are getting old; how much longer do you see Urlacher & Briggs playing? Urlacher has already stated one of his knees is toast & surgery can do nothing for it...no dependable WR; Hester shows flashes, but disappears at times; Forte is one of my favourite RB's, but he missed the end of last seasons because of injury & has already missed time this season...his # of touches MUST decrease..."

I'm still surprised to see Urlacher and Briggs playing. Both are like 40 lol. I really thought they cut Urlacher cause of his knee, but he doesn't seem to be doing bad in stats if I recall correctly. No debendable WR? My man Marshall :P, Hester is good too, but ya when he's needed the most the ball hits him right in the hands and he can't catch it...? Forte will save the Bears imo if he can stay off the injured list.

So long as they make it to the play-offs, I'll be happy. Hell, even just having a winning season will deserve a drink. xD

@Wiggles...i totally forgot about Marshall...when he's on & being a team player, he's great...i lived just north of Denver & watched his rise & fall there & his mis-fit w/ the Dolphins...hopefully he can stay sane...Hester is such a force as a return man any team would want him...if he could develop soft hands & learn how to run routs better, he's be an amazing receiver...
    @kamuizin...i have faith in Ben as long as he can stay upright...one of the toughest QB's in the league...his offensive line is possibly the worst in the league & he tends to enter the end of the season on crutches...still suiting up & playing, but only because of grit & amazing pharmaceuticals...best pump-fake QB in the league...
    That whole division is a mess right now. I mean, the Vikings are winning it and they were total trash last year. Every single team except them seems really Jekyll and Hyde.

I want the Bears to be good. I liked Cutler in Denver and think he got a raw deal there because the management in that city is totally crazy. ("Tebow is our 4th string QB. LET'S START HIM AFTER WE FIRE THE STARTER. Tebow wins a playoff game LET'S SHIP HIM OFF TO A NEW CITY." I mean really.)

Not saying Tebow is a great QB, but they're the first team in the history of the NFL to ship off their starter a year after winning a playoff game. It's literally never been done.

It's weird because I totally hate the Bears and any team coming out of Chicago. I think it's just because I hate the Packers so damn much. Maybe I should cheer for the Vikings in that division because good lord that team has a history of failure to rival the Browns.
    @sandmanCCL

Maybe I should cheer for the Vikings in that division because good lord that team has a history of failure to rival the Browns.

don't forget the Bills' miserable struggles!
    edited October 2012

It's weird because I totally hate the Bears and any team coming out of Chicago.blockquote>.

<--- Likes every team from Chicago.

:(

how bout them 'Fins?
    i, for one, am surprised
    but, the Steelers won (!!), eve if Polamalu is hurt...again...
    @Wiggles: That's why sports are so great. :D

I tend to hate teams from the "big three" cities. New York, Chicago, LA. Loathe every team in every sport from those 3 cities. I even hate the Clippers in basketball.

@rexreg: I am actually not that surprised by the Dolphins. Their defense has been really, really good the last couple years. On days their offense is at least competent, they win. They aren't a doormat team like the Browns. Also pretty excited we beat Philly, just because Philly is the worst team with a winning record right now.

How about that Ravens/Chiefs game? You could have played Yakkity Sax over the whole thing and it woulda fit. OH MAN WE FUMBLED. Oh good we recovered. OH MAN WE FUMLBED AND LOST IT ON THE VERY NEXT PLAY.

OH MAN WE THREW AN INT. Oh good they threw an INT. OH GOD WE THREW ANOTHER INT.

So much fail.
    @sandmanCCL...i'm not surprised the Fins defence is doing well, it's their non-existant offence that is surprising me...the Fins have had a solid defence pretty much since Marino retired...it's a pity Marino couldn't play w/ any of those d's to help him...
    didn't get to watch the game, but i see Roethlisberger didn't get sacked once & Mendenhall is leading the team in rushing yards already...& i drafted him onto both my fantasy teams, despite knowing he would miss the start of the season...
    my loathes are the the Cowboys, the Broncos, & the Lakers; no specific city, more individual teams...i remember watching Walter Payton play & can't hate da Bears