Skip to content

Anyone ever make a kensai/thief to use carsomyr?

gustonguston Member Posts: 70
I've always wanted to make a kensai, give him two handed sword grand mastery and two handed weapon style specialization and then dual him to a thief to get use any item. Is the class as powerful as it sounds in my head? Has anyone ever played a game like that?

Comments

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I think if you were to do this you'd want to wait to dual until 13 that way you could maximize your Kensai and Fighter benefits (3 attacks per round). You would however lose out on the amazing backstab potential that thieves have, since you can't backstab with Greatswords. Furthermore, you couldn't Kai and Greater Whirlwind (Thankfully). I think if you're going a 2h Kensai however, you're probably better off staying a pure Kensai and going for Halberds, just using the Silver Sword or going to Watcher's Keep early, or Staves and using Staff of the Ram bam thank you Ma'am, oh wait you could backstab with that one.

That said I think a level 13 Kensai with Carosmyr, would be able to swing it with an effective weapon speed of either 0 or 1 which WOULD be kinda cool.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Dual to thief... to use Carsomyr, a two handed weapon... that cannot be used to backstab? No thank you.
  • gustonguston Member Posts: 70
    No kai? The lack of back stab I'm fine with (could always change weapons and most things worth backstabbing are immune) but no kai is a problem. See part of the fun was using a paladin class exclusive weapon better than any paladin ever could (make them all green with envy!) but with no kai or high level warrior abilities it's probably better to just give Carosmyr to Keldorn.

My question is this. Will this guy be as good in a straight up fight as a paladin?
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Kensai/Thief is the most dangerous melee combatant imaginable.

1: Use Any Item essentially means you can equip the same thing as whomever you're gonna fight except you'll also have -2 AC because Kensai.

2: Kai.

3: A raw Kensai (and possibly a raw Swashbuckler, not sure) will have more +damage than you, but only by a bit. That raw Kensai won't have armor, though, so he'll have more difficulties landing a hit and will be extremely vulnerable himself. That Swashbuckler can't match your Thac0.

4: Grand Mastery (so he's gonna have that much more of an advantage over Paladins and Rangers)

5: UAI = Can utilize scrolls = as much of a cleric/mage as you're willing to shell out the cash for = Tenser's Transformation + Righteous Magic scrolls.

Also, why use Carsomyr when you can dual-wield with backstabby weapons like Katanas (which also do d10)? Carsomyr isn't even the most deadly two-handed sword except against chaotic evil enemies. Gram the Sword of Grief +5 has better DPS because of that poison proc, plus it level drains which screws over mages about as well as dispel on hit. Or you could use one of the other two best weapons in the game, Ravager +6 or the Staff of the Ram +6.

Staff of the Ram also backstabs for just ungodly numbers. It's highly recommended.
    @Guston

You'd get Kai, but you wouldn't be able to get Greater Whirlwind for 10 APR. Even with Improved Haste I think you would be limited to 6. Furthermore you can't use the assassination ability for thieves which turns every attack in that round into a backstab, since you can't backstab with said greatsword.

From a role-playing perspective, a Fighter using a Quarterstaff as his primary weapon would be interesting. Almost all the guards in Candlekeep are shown using Staves, and that could be where your character started. Now why your character ends up turning to being a thief instead of a mage is up to you to determine but it does have an initial starting flavor.

Also, why use Carsomyr

Passive magic resistance. I put survivability and versatility above dps. The Bhaalspawn dies and its game over. Dps is also important though since the longer the battle lasts the greater the chance that you might die. Finally the other good two handed swords can be used my other characters. Like Minsc or Sarevok.
    If you want passive survivability from weapons there are PLENTY of one handed weapons that have that. You can turn the Purifer into a +5 bastard sword variant of the Carosmyr. You also have the Answerer (lowers target MR/AC), Blackrazor (Innate Regen, Immunity to Charm and Fear, Chance on hit to lifesteal, level drain, haste you and give you strength, axe of the unyielding (hey if you don't care about backstabbing this axe insta-gibs).

Honestly, I played a Paladin in my last playthrough and I LOVE Carosomyr, but their are plenty of weapons that provide MUCH better survivability, and most of them will allow you to backstab as well. Heck it was bad enough (granted I was testing a few things for myself too), but my paladin ended up dual wielding instead of using it (CURSE YOU KELDORN), heck she even went dual wield even though I wanted to use a shield on her they're that good.

Which reminds me, I hope they make some shields that can stand up to their offhand counterparts in BG2EE.
    Oh I guess I should have mention that I've already played a duel wielding half orc swashbuckler and would prefer something at least a little different. I've basically narrowed it down to

Elf/Ranger/Archer kit
    Human/Fighter/Kansai kit dualed to thief
    Elf/Sorcerer

A dual wielding build is not something I'm really interested in this time.
    edited October 2012
    Also a straight up paladin just doesn't suit my disposition.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,344
    Never went this far, but once I made Carsomyr usable by rangers as well so Minsc could wield it. But iirc it ended up feeling not quite right very soon.
    @Guston

Staff of the Ram would allow you the massive backstabs from the thief as well as getting your 2handed weapon fix.

Also I've heard nothing but good things about the Archer kit so I will throw my support behind that. Of course, admitting my bias, I've just never PERSONALLY liked dual classing.
    edited October 2012

@Guston

Staff of the Ram would allow you the massive backstabs from the thief as well as getting your 2handed weapon fix.

Also I've heard nothing but good things about the Archer kit so I will throw my support behind that. Of course, admitting my bias, I've just never PERSONALLY liked dual classing.

Archer kit is my first choice too. I've always figured backstabbing with a staff was a bug that would be fixed in EE. I've always seen a back-stab as something like shanking a guy in the kidneys or slitting their throat from behind. A precise and deadly surprise attack. Whacking someone upside the head with a stick doesn't seem any more effective from the back than the front. I'm probably not gonna use staff like that.

As for dual classing, I've always liked the idea behind it if not how it's implemented. If I'm in the position to have to defend myself I don't really care about beating my opponent fairly. Being the best at one thing is difficult and takes years of practice but being good in a bunch of things is much easier. I see a fighter/thief as the ultimate combat pragmatist. Learn enough about swordsmanship to defend yourself if you have to but always try to outsmart your opponent. Mages are powerful but fragile. Why fight one fair and square when you can just shiv them from the shadows. Some guy challenges you to a dual? Fireball them in the face with a magic staff then deliver the finishing blow by lopping off their head. Also race and class restrictions on items always seemed rather arbitrary to me. Sure I can see selling or giving away an item if it's something I have no use for. Passing up some nice loot because "that sword is sacred, only a holy paladin can touch it" isn't in my nature though.
    I can promise you that its definitely not a bug. Thieves were always able to backstab with any weapon they could be proficient in.

As far as surprise attacks from behind with a staff well, putting a lot of force into an attack on the back of someone's skull. Just saying.

That said, a single dagger kensai might be interesting........Grand Mastery in daggers.......herm

I can promise you that its definitely not a bug. Thieves were always able to backstab with any weapon they could be proficient in.

As far as surprise attacks from behind with a staff well, putting a lot of force into an attack on the back of someone's skull. Just saying.

That said, a single dagger kensai might be interesting........Grand Mastery in daggers.......herm

I guess one might smack a guy on the temple for extra effectiveness. I'm just having a difficult time visualizing sneaky rogue fighting with a quarterstaff.

• ZaorZaor Member Posts: 69
    Obviously someone hasn't seen a certain Gamers movie. "I back-stab with a ballista!"
    Zaor said:

Obviously someone hasn't seen a certain Gamers movie. "I back-stab with a ballista!"

That..sounds awesome. What movie are you talking about.

• KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    guston said:

I've always wanted to make a kensai, give him two handed sword grand mastery and two handed weapon style specialization and then dual him to a thief to get use any item. Is the class as powerful as it sounds in my head? Has anyone ever played a game like that?

I have thought about it, it sounded cool to me too, but after considering it I don't think it's worth it.

If you dual at level 13 you have 8 THAC0, +4/+4 Kensai bonus, +3/+5 Grand Mastery bonus. On the other hand a level 21 Paladin has a 0 THAC0 and +1/+2 for specialization. So compared to the Paladin you still have -2 to hit, although you do get +7 damage. But in order to get there you have to spend a big chunk of the game as low level thief and you don't get to use Carsomyr until very late. A big part of what makes Carsomyr special is that you get it in chapter 2... by the time your Kensai/Thief is able to use it in ToB there are other amazing weapons available. Also, the thief abilities don't mesh well with what you're trying to do, since you can't backstab with Carsomyr or wear armor while thieving.

On the other hand, if you think it'd be fun then go for it. But I think it makes more sense to use the Kensai skills in a way that complements the thief skills like some other people in this topic have described. If what you want is basically to just make the ultimate melee fighter with Kensai + armor, what I'd do is take the Kensai all the way to level 21 before dualling so you get that 0 THAC0.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Carsomyr is actually 1D12, it's not a simple to handed sword :P

But nah, Kensai>Thief, I would rather go with Scarlet Ninja-to as main weapon and Flail of Ages as backup weapon, while in offhand, I get myself a nice Belm.

I am not one that backstabs either, Cleric/thieves are FAR better at doing that than any other combination in the game, unless you go with a Kensai till level 21 or something (which is impractical)

If I had a choice on the matter, I would go with Kensai>Thief with Staff of the Magi with Staff of the Ram in offhand. Still a more damaging solution, and the latter is a backstabbing, dragon sweeping weapon XD
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    I've played an elven (NE) fighter/thief quite often & at times placed pips in THS & used Carsomyr + whirlwind for battles against arcane foes/arcane foes immune to backstab - such as Beholders. TWF is however the prefered option against all others. Another reason why I've done this in the past is due to the lack of NPCs in evil BG2 parties that can use it, seems a waste to just stash it.

The disadvantage of using it with a Kensai/Thief (as already stated) is that they can't whirlwind, which in my view is when this weapon is most effective. Hence my preference of multi over dual.

Elven Ranger - Archer is fantastic, Crossbow + Lightning bolts + WW Or Bow + Improved haste + Critical strike. Smite is also highly amusing with a bow.
    Reading all the comments has dissuaded me from trying a kensai/thief build. Too much trouble to go through for too little gain. Elven archer is what I'm gonna go with. Useful through the entire campaign and mostly safe from danger.
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    @guston He'll be glorious with arrows of detonation in BG1. No one will survive, no crops will grow, no structure left standing - only the scorched earth shall speak of your passing.
    edited October 2012
    @Isair

Scorched Earth, Squirrels and BOO!

Also I might be mistaken but I thought that Archers couldn't get Grand Mastery in Crossbows.

After talking about them here and another thread @Guston I might try the same thing.
  • SirCumferenceSirCumference Member Posts: 35
    Or you could do a Wizard slayer to theif then wield carsomyr and some other magic resistance item and you can get yourself 100+ magic resistance. You can still be effected by status spells but once you get over 100% magic resistance if my memory serves you actually get healed by magic damage.
    @Sircumference

Actually............notsomuch. Carsomyr currently sets your base MR to 50%, instead of increasing it by 50%. Which means that as a WS, it would actually ignore your passive MR already. That said I believe the BG2 fixpack changes this, but as of right now its bugged =/
  • SirCumferenceSirCumference Member Posts: 35
    I remember that now, however there are still enough MR items out there to get your MR over 100% with Carsomyr you just have to equip Carsomyr first as it only resets your MR to 50 when it's equipped, any mr items you equip after carsomyr will add to that 50% I'm 100% sure I've done it (pun intended). It made solo much easier.
    Archer is a beast kit, especially in BG1. "OH SHI THERE'S A MAGE" *called shot, poison arrow*

*ffffzzzzTWAP*

*dead mage*

Kensai/Thief is a blast, though. I think half the fun is trying to regain your fighter levels, honestly. Maybe that's just me. Dual-wielded katanas. Was intense. I recall soloing a large portion of the game by stealth shenanigans. There's nothing quite like guaranteeing a 90+ damage backstab.

It's not like you can't whirlwind. You just can't do it while Kai is active, right? Or am I missing something?
    I was under the impression that the only thieves that got whirlwind were Swashbucklers @sandmanCCL. I was also under the impression that dual-classed characters couldn't get HLAs in their original class after they went over.

I don't know if Kai and Whirlwind are mutually exclusive however for a regular Kensai.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Can I suggest that you just go thief/fighter multiclass? You can get 2* in two handed weapons then max out your proficiencies in two handed sword and quarterstaff. You keep both handy and use the staff for backstabbing. You get both fighter and theif HLA so you can get UAI, drop killer traps (including time traps) and use the whirlwind attacks with Carsomyr.

I think that makes more sense than a dual class build.
    edited October 2012
    @Dragonspear: Herp. I knew that. Brain toot.

Kai only lasts a single round to the best of my knowledge, so by the time you could activate whirlwind, it'd already end. Vice versa also applies. Because you can only do one ability/spell/potion per round and all.

I've often wondered if you dual-class at the level you'd gain HLAs in your classes for a multi-classed guy, if you'd have access to HLAs from that class. Or even if you'd gain HLAs at the proper XP equivalent. You start gaining HLAs as soon as you hit whatever level 3 mil XP grants. I might test this out later today.

I vaguely recall having fighter HLAs for Anomen once but I may have hacked those in.
    Post edited by sandmanCCL on
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    The problem of Kensai/mage, is that those classes are a combo for BG2 middle to end almost, you would to carry your low level kensai with no armor through the entire BG, what can be a bit messy (and hardcore if you like hardcore stuff)