Skip to content

A clasic BG players review of SoD

124»

Comments

• DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    Skyrim but no mention of Oblivion or Morrowind! Heresy!
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    I'm confused. Why is Skyrim in there? O.o
    You can't really compare full games to expansions imo, they're seperate entities.

If you're classing SoD as a full standalone game then you have to compare it to other full stand alones games such as BG1 BG2 PST ect. But if you're classing it as an expansion which is what it is it should be in a seperate list among ToB, ToTSC ect.

For me, in a list of stand alones, it would be very close to the bottom. As an expansion it would be closer to the top.

Two seperate comparative lists.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Mush_Mush said:

I'm confused. Why is Skyrim in there? O.o

Simply as a representative reference to sandbox RPGs. Since Bethesda games are all the same I didn't see any point in including more than one. I also included PoE as a reference, but excluded comparable games that where not fantasy (KotOR, Mass Effect).
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited May 2016
    Well it's probably been said before, but I hope there's more stuff from Caelar in BG2. Not sure what their plans are there, but I got hope.

The final boss theme also grew on me after I've listened to it a couple of times. It hits all the right spots for me, much like Irenicus battle theme did and of course the dragon battle theme^^
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited May 2016
    Mush_Mush said:

You can't really compare full games to expansions imo, they're seperate entities.

I'm judging by how they play, not what other software may be required to play them. SoD, ToB, HotU, MotB and SoU are entirely self-contained stories, it makes no difference that you need to own something else in order to play them. I think all of them are significantly longer than some some so called "full games" - Planescape: Torment for example.

I agree that by that definition, TotSC shouldn't be included - I only added it as an afterthought because someone was saying how good they thought it was.

Obviously, it's a highly personal "how much I enjoyed it" list. I have made no attempt to judge them objectively.

And in NWN for example, I am simply judging it's official campaign. As a powerful toolbox I would rate it much higher.
    @Fardragon
    For some weird reason I struggle to see SoD as a self contained story. Obviously it is, technically, but I've found I can't seem to make a new character in SoD , it doesnt feel like a starting point to me. I'm compelled to make a new character in BG1 and reach SoD the long way. Which is what I'm currently doing...I tried making a new character but didnt feel right :/ maybe I'm just weird lol

Was the same for ToB actually. I've never played ToB with a character made from scratch it was only ever after completing BG2 and importing my character. But I've also only ever completed ToB perhaps 3 or 4 times compared to the probly 20+ times I burned through BG1&2. :smiley:
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Mask of the Betrayer is still my all-time favorite non-isometric RPG. It may be an expansion, but I think it holds its own against the full titles any day. Maybe it was the rule set, but that game was a high-level adventure done right.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Purudaya said:

Mask of the Betrayer is still my all-time favorite non-isometric RPG. It may be an expansion, but I think it holds its own against the full titles any day. Maybe it was the rule set, but that game was a high-level adventure done right.

I agree. And that ending...oh, man!
    Mush_Mush said:

but I've found I can't seem to make a new character in SoD , it doesnt feel like a starting point to me.

I'm fairly certain this is intentional. It's like reading a series of books. If you start on book 2, then you missed out on all the stuff in book 1.

• GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Rathenau said:

GoodSteve said:

How did I know that after the first two paragraphs that this person was going to bring up the transgender NPC? Like, I must have mystical powers of divination or something. One of your top 7 criticisms with SoD was that they didn't put in a quest to expound upon the backstory of a MINOR non-playable character? Really? Why this character in particular? Because they're transgender? Why can't the transgender character just be in the game, and not have to take center stage and have tons of attention heaped upon them? I'm confused.

At this point, it might be more prudent to look at Beamdog's stance on the matter. They have already acknowledged that the character in question should have more nuance. The ship has sailed my friend.
    You don't think that is a direct result from the backlash of people hating on the transgendered character? Once it became obvious it was due to bigotry people pivoted their opinion to be "she's a 'token' character now though because she doesn't have a quest and isn't expanded upon enough! The writing is too bad, transgendered characters can only be in games with good writing!" The fact that shes actually going to be expanded upon now is most likely the exact opposite of what people who were saying that wanted. I can't wait for the new wave of bullshit to hit after they add more content with this "controversial" character.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    And when they were saying she had no quest she had like three quests connected to her. Just none relevant to being trans.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited May 2016
    GoodSteve said:

Rathenau said:

GoodSteve said:

How did I know that after the first two paragraphs that this person was going to bring up the transgender NPC? Like, I must have mystical powers of divination or something. One of your top 7 criticisms with SoD was that they didn't put in a quest to expound upon the backstory of a MINOR non-playable character? Really? Why this character in particular? Because they're transgender? Why can't the transgender character just be in the game, and not have to take center stage and have tons of attention heaped upon them? I'm confused.

At this point, it might be more prudent to look at Beamdog's stance on the matter. They have already acknowledged that the character in question should have more nuance. The ship has sailed my friend.
    You don't think that is a direct result from the backlash of people hating on the transgendered character? Once it became obvious it was due to bigotry people pivoted their opinion to be "she's a 'token' character now though because she doesn't have a quest and isn't expanded upon enough! The writing is too bad, transgendered characters can only be in games with good writing!" The fact that shes actually going to be expanded upon now is most likely the exact opposite of what people who were saying that wanted. I can't wait for the new wave of bullshit to hit after they add more content with this "controversial" character.

And when they were saying she had no quest she had like three quests connected to her. Just none relevant to being trans.

The problem was 2-fold. 1) Idiots who can't ignore things those don't like. 2) Other idiots who can't handle that things they experienced aren't exhibited in a bigger way in video games. You can't cater to idiots.