Skip to content

Can a F/M/T backstab with Staves?

UlysissUlysiss Member Posts: 18
Titles says it all, I was under the impression that the answer to this is yes but it certain cases, no. I know you cant backstab with the Staff of the Magi but what about the others?

I addition I would be grateful for any misc. tips anyone has for this class.

Thanks

Comments

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    You can backstab with any staff that doesn't have a specific class restriction on it (Staff of the Magi [Mages], Staff of the Woodlands or whatever the druid ones are called). This also applies to ANY weapon proficiency that a thief would normally have but is normally restricted by class (there is a club for example that is restricted to druids only if I remember).
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    I think this speedrun is a good showcase of what the FMT can do. One thing he didn't do that I would have is get the wand of fireballs though. There is one available pretty early in the game. He obviously didn't need it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O43qvHhuVno
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    Whats the highest level a f/m/t can go in BG1 and then in BG2?
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    in BG1 (w ToTSC) its 6/6/7

I don't know off the top of my head what the final levels of BG2 or SoA would be.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    @Dragonspear is on the money for BG1. 6F/6M/7T

Shadows of Amn without Throne of Bhaal installed = 11 Fighter / 12 Mage / 14 Thief

ToB's 8mil cap = 18 Fighter / 17 Mage / 22 Thief

You'll barely sqeak in a few 8th level spells there at the very, very end. A bard will actually be a significantly better spellcaster than you til you hit the 4.5 million XP mark, because that's when you hit 7th level spells.

Honestly, I think a blade is a better overall character. Maybe that's just me.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    One tip I could give is - try to get level 2 in every class (or better, 2/2/3) before you get any NPCs. This will dramatically change how things fare in the run, because you'll be able to recruit NPCs on higher levels :)

@sandmanCCL : agreed on the blade. Besides, a Blade can use spells like Tenser's transformation (which, outside of Bard and Mage single-classes is pretty darn useless) to its full potential, as well as get some other damage boosts from simple spells much more easily (Vampiric Touch + Bard = awesome for instance)
  • UlysissUlysiss Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2012
    Im actually running my current game ( into Spellhold now ) with a blade, it's good fun. FMT is next, im going to solo BG1 and then recruit a small party in SOA - Viconia, Imoen, Korgan=>TOB NPC.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Ulysiss : Soloing the game shouldn't be too-too hard with a F/M/T, simply because in BG1 its level cap isn't really that big of a problem (you don't lose a LOT of abilities. Sure, 4th level mage spells would be nice but they're not necessary)