Skip to content

Beamdog BGEE OSX Version Issues

shylamanshylaman Member Posts: 173
edited May 2016 in Troubleshooting
First off It took two days to download the game, which is ridiculous. Beam dog needs some better servers. I downloaded the small launcher file and then when I launched it, it took 2 days to download the full game. I left it running overnight. Had to stop for work and then just finished now. I have 15MB down.

Anyhow, I now have Baldur's Gate Launcher and a Game Data->0077 folder. There seems to be a lot missing. Where is the portraits, saves, characters, etc. folder?
Post edited by shylaman on

Comments

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    We haven't received complaints about download performance since launch day - have you tried going to speedtest.net and checking out your current internet performance?

The other folders are found in Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171
    edited May 2016
    It's you, not them. I downloaded the entire thing a few times after modding and re-modding and updating in 6 minutes on a 150mbit connection.

It's possible your provider is throttling bittorrent traffic.
  • shylamanshylaman Member Posts: 173
    I did a speed test. 15.8 down. I didn't know it was through torrent. I have downloaded other torrents using Transmission. I just downloaded the full Adobe CC from the Adobe site at normal speeds. Besides slow speeds the download would pause part way through and say "waiting for download to start" and nothing would happen. I'd test by downloading something else and no problem.

Anyhow, BGEE finally downloaded/installed after a few tries. @Cerevant there is an alias at Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition, but no folder. When I right click to "show original" it says the original item can't be found.

I have characters and portraits that I want to use, but can't find where to put them. Also, can't find baldur.ini to change to get druid spell back for Cleric/Rangers. I have looked in the 00777 folder, right clicked on show package contents on both the launcher and the app inside of the 00777 folder.

Delete the alias, and let the game create a folder.
    I tried that. Even rebooted. I just deleted the whole game and downloading again. Cross my fingers. D/L speeds are much better today. Less than an hour by the looks of it.
    edited May 2016
    @Cerevant I deleted the previous install, rebooted, redownloaded, and reinstalled. Same thing. No folder in documents. The game makes an alias and then alias says it can't be opened because the original file can't be found. Any ideas?

I am on 10.11.4 on a retina Macbook Pro. Funny thing is my wineskin version of the original game (windows) is loading fine. It should be a bigger hassle than a native version.

I had a pre-2.0 version installed before and it worked. That was before there was a launcher like now. Does it not work with 10.11? Only older versions of OSX?

Post edited by shylaman on
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171
    It works fine on 10.11. Do what they said to do above. The alias still exists there. Alternatively create a folder in your documents folder that is the name of that alias.
    Yes, delete the alias and create a "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" folder in its place
    Ok. I made the folder. I then made characters and portraits inside. When I started the game it said local something changed and downloaded a balder.lua file into the Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition inside of Documents. Looks like custom portraits are now showing up during character creation.

However, there is no balder.ini file. Where do I make the change to give Ranger/Cleric their Druid spells back?
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Baldur.ini is not used anymore for settings. Ypu need to edit the baldur.lua file.
    Thanks guys for all of the help. With the initial issue in downloading the game it didn't install right and that caused some issues.

After deleting and reinstalling there were still some quirks. The installer for some reason critter an alias instead of a folder. After deleting the alias and restarting the game it would create the folder, but no character, portraits, save. Also, baldur.lua only had a few lines. I had to start to go into pre-generate character, slick through portraits, and exit out. Then the folders were there and I could copy portraits and character files. After actually starting a game the baldur.lua file would populate and I could then edit for cleric/ranger spells.

It took a couple of days and a few reinstalls, but seems to be working. Yay. Now to see how it compares to BGT.