Skip to content

Staff of Arundel question (bug ?)

OnoxOnox Member Posts: 23
Hi,

Currently (v2.1), if you put this staff in one of your quick weapons slots along with another weapon, and then from the main game view you select the other weapon to attack, you lose your additional spells. Is this really working as intended ? If so, the staff is not very useful !

In fact I considered this behaviour a bug, and I've just upgraded from v1.3 to v2.1, expecting it to be changed because I read in the v2.0 changelog :

"Bonus spells from the Staff of Arundel are no longer lost when the quick weapon slot is selected while the game is paused."

Granted, this sentence says something a little different, but still ?

Thanks !

Comments

• OnoxOnox Member Posts: 23
    Hmmm, no answers :smile:

But I have thought a little about it : of course when you have, let's says for example Arbane's sword, which grants Free Action when equipped, it is normal (and always have been like this) that you only have Free Action when you are actually using the sword, not just have it one of the quick slots.

But for the Staff of Arundel it is really a different kind of bonus, because with weapons such as Arbane's sword you have no penalty for switching to a different weapon for a short while, since as soon you use the sword again, you will immediately get back Free Action. But with how the Staff of Arundel works now, it is really annoying because you if want to just fire a couple of bullets with your sling, you lose the spells, and it requires you to rest to gain them back after re-equipping the Staff. So, I think it is intended that the Staff behaves in this way, but it reduces its usefulness a lot. Do you see my point of view ?
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    I always wished for this staff to be viable, myself, but, like you, I don't think it is bugged, even though everyone in their right mind would use a Druid with ranged weapons, mostly.

I think it's just bad item design, which doesn't make your point invalid, but lets me guess that there's little hope of beamdog changing. In the past they have proven themselves to be rather "conservative", when it comes to original content.

Now, if I used the staff, I used it like this: I fill the added slots with some sorts of one of spells that I shoot out at the start of battle or in preparation for it (i.e. Iron Skins). Now the spells are automatically alphabetically ordered, which, at first, might be seen as an upgrade.

However, keeping the staff in mind it further reduces the usefulness of an already gimped item, as spell selection is now limited to the last spells on the list... :disappointed:
  • an4643an4643 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2020
    Post edited by an4643 on