Skip to content

[Exploit/Bug] "Talking" Enemies to death

WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
edited November 2012 in Original BG2 Bugs
More of an exploit than a bug really. I'm not 100% sure that this works in BG1, but it definitely works in BG2. Take one of the dragon fights for instance, when the dragon is non-hostile to you, you can initiate the fight by talking to it, or by simply attacking it, and the fight plays out as it should - But, if you have your character stand out of range, just within line of sight and press the Dragon to go an speak to it, then pause and order everyone else to attack the Dragon, and every few seconds, keep pressing the dragon to talk to it with the character out of range (move him back after he walks forward towards the dragon, so he doesn't actually reach the dragon and initiate the conversation), the dragon will simply keep standing still, waiting for the character to come talk to it, while the party hacks away all of its HP eventually killing it. This way, a low level party can kill the dragons in BG2. The only drawback of this is you get lower XP from killing the dragon non-hostile than hostile.

Most people probably wouldn't abuse this, since its cheesy and boring, but i'd like to see it fixed nonetheless.
Post edited by Balquo on
BhryaenTrentOsterHeroicSpurnulspaceAlexTcarugaLuneverBrighamFishtkelloggGriegankheg

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I'd say just don't do it. It's possible to hack the game in many other ways like giving yourself huge XP boosts, using scrolls or items when you aren't supposed to be able to or it's possible to console in whatever items you want in whatever quantity and open up a savegame editor and modify all you stats and proficiencies.

The exploit you describe requires repeated effort that you have to do on purpose to complete, just like those and many other exploits that are possible. I think this one is avoidable with self control. I would rather the Devs work on other stuff and if they have a bug free game with everything else added that is great then maybe get to stuff like this.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Reported in ToBEx fixes, labeled A64_47 in the pdf Ascension64 made for the developpers.
    nulspaceBhryaen
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @lansounet beat me to it by four minutes ;-)
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    I'd say just don't do it. It's possible to hack the game in many other ways like giving yourself huge XP boosts, using scrolls or items when you aren't supposed to be able to or it's possible to console in whatever items you want in whatever quantity and open up a savegame editor and modify all you stats and proficiencies.

The exploit you describe requires repeated effort that you have to do on purpose to complete, just like those and many other exploits that are possible. I think this one is avoidable with self control. I would rather the Devs work on other stuff and if they have a bug free game with everything else added that is great then maybe get to stuff like this.
    I agree with you, there are more important stuff absolutely. Just thought I'd add this in case no one had caught it yet ^_^

• nulspacenulspace Member Posts: 100
    I may be wrong, but is this still doable since the latest ToB patch? I thought they had fixed this.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @nulspace, i think it is actually, because one time i did it by mistake with the shadow dragon and i always have ToB with the latest patch on
    ToBEx definitely fixes this. I know 'cause I used to abuse it and ToBEx took this subtle pleasure away from me LOL Kidding, it definitely had to be fixed :-)
    Avenger_teambg
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    Why take it out? This is one of those things that makes the game easier that pros argue should be removed, but it is a personal choice to do that. I found the trick very useful in my first run through. If it isn't a bug and you can choose not to abuse it, why remove it?
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    Why take it out? This is one of those things that makes the game easier that pros argue should be removed, but it is a personal choice to do that. I found the trick very useful in my first run through. If it isn't a bug and you can choose not to abuse it, why remove it?
    While not technically a bug, it's certainly a design flaw that was overlooked, and definitely not how the developers intended those fights to play out. But yeah, at the end of the day, its no biggie.
    Lunever
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    wow... if this is possible I agree it should be fixed. never used or knew about this tactic
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    Basicly the only way this can give you an unfair disadvantage is if you talk, pause, then attack. But when do you ever need to do things in that order? Unless you're purposely using it for your benefit, it doesn't hurt your game.

Well, if they fix it I won't really care, but it doesn't hurt anyone so why remove? It just gives you a bit of extra power on lazy days.
    There are better and more fulfilling ways of conquering tough fights (lowering the difficulty settings, leaving and coming back at later levels, trying different strategies) that new players should learn how to do
    That, or if you really feel the urge to cheat you can always CTRL+Y any enemy within sight for an instant kill.

nulspacelansounetBrighamFish
  • DrakhgardDrakhgard Member Posts: 13
    edited July 2012
    I wonder if this will be fixed (hopefully it will!)

Short explanation: You pause the game, click on friendly NPC. He turns into your direction, stands still for like ~5 seconds and waits for you to actually talk to him. Now if you unpause and attack him while he is waiting, he won't do anything. Repeat this over and over (just pause again, talk to him, then attack him again) and you will be able to kill any friendly NPC ridiculously easy.
    Already requested as part of ToBEx fixes (not sure it's been already implemented).
    paulsifer42
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Good exploit to undo, however...
    paulsifer42ElectricMonk
  • ichaos1985ichaos1985 Member Posts: 34
    I remember I used this "strategy" to kill the red dragon (Lord Firkraag) and the shadow dragon, because my group was not strong enough. That was more than 10 years ago, so I would now want that to be fixed.
    edited July 2012
    Merged two identical threads...
  • kszatankszatan Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2012
    Problem: It is possible to kill Firkraag,Thaxll'ssillyia, Adalon and other monsters by simply clicking on a monster to talk to it and then attacking it with the other NPC. The monster stays neutral forever, waiting for the first player to come closer (which never happens) and start the conversation. Eventually it gets killed by the attacking NPC.
    Resolution: The monster should instantly turn hostile when attacked.

I know it's depriving yourself of a pleasure from really fighting a dragon but it's just annoying it's possible. This is the biggest bug for me in BG2. I checked the list of fixed and submitted bugs and I haven't seen this one.
  • Ascension64Ascension64 Member Posts: 560
    Listed as bug A64_47 in TobEx bugs thread.
    @kszatan
    Sorry- had to merge the duplicate post...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet the similar bug of being able to kill enemies by avoiding talking to them. For ex., if you let Tarnesh see you, you can run away from him, pelting him with arrows, for as long as you need to kill him. This doesn't work with every enemy NPC, but many, many of them. Also works with friendlies- like Gatewarden. That's being addressed already, however...
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Bhryaen said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet the similar bug of being able to kill enemies by avoiding talking to them. For ex., if you let Tarnesh see you, you can run away from him, pelting him with arrows, for as long as you need to kill him. This doesn't work with every enemy NPC, but many, many of them. Also works with friendlies- like Gatewarden. That's being addressed already, however...

Its a well known way of killing Tazok and helping yourself for an extra pair of gauntlets of weapon expertise. The reason noone? told it is probably because the list of fixed bugs isnt very clear, so known bugs, like OP's one probably gets reported multiple times on a daily basis, while lesser known never.

• BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    @Tanthalas I feel this has been fixed but can't test right now. Do you know?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Balquo

I think this one is actually a work in progress. Its been fixed for some encounters only.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    May as well fix other bugs too that concern dragons such as setting spike traps directly in front of them (fix only for tob dragons) or repeatedly cast blindness on them since blindness does not trigger hostility.
  • DivineBloodDivineBlood Member Posts: 32
    Lol this used to be my most abused design flaw.