Skip to content

Assortment of none deviating and none annoying suggestions.

PolymorpherPolymorpher Member Posts: 11
edited October 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
1) Quick-load Hotkey.

2) F1 to F12 support.

3) A better refined mission statement.

While our fan love for BG has probably helped, yet many people need to be reminded that this project simply isn't sort of a wish-list for what we could have wanted to happen in BG. And the task is rather to smooth out the edges, add a pinch or two of spice and release it. What is accomplished is that BG is released into 2012 reborn without all the typical tech issues of OLD that one would have, and get what was good about it before, with just bit of a flavor of something new, so this isn't just another copy pasted BG collection making a grab for your dime.

a) It shouldn't be turned into a D&D obsessive compulsive forum - where every little discrepancy in what should, would, might or could be is brought up. The game worked, it was loved, we played it, we enjoyed it. Aside from some noticeable bugs, it was great and it is not meant to cater to perfectionists.

b) We should be reminded that our technical sophistication has definitely risen over the years, and BG or BG:EE will not answer to meet or new level of demand. It can not answer without being completely remade AND expanded - which defeats the purpose of BG:EE that is more or less to restore and preserve this gem of OLD like a museum quality work shall we say.

It will be really beneficial for people to unavoidably land on such a statement before they go and extensively report how they didn't get one defense point in a one time fight with something.

4) Lore assortment - book library.

While its probably a lot to ask to voice the lore books. It's not so much of an effort to add some sort of a shelf or library in this new area where all the books of baldur's gate 1 are available in one place. So people get enjoy all the lore in one readout. This way anybody that cares to read what the makers left for us wouldn't have to burden their inventory and piece together the stories from memory when and if they find them.

5) I don't know if we get gembags/jewlerybags, scrollbags and potionbags into the mix with the new breeze, but any similar accommodations would be appreciated. Even if you want to preserve the old style getting a silver necklace the space which a plate armor can occupy is vastly unacceptable despite what retro nostalgia we might have.

6) Have a group mark and select system like in RTS.
CTRL+Number marks a selected group as a unit.
Marked numbers selects the specified units.
Obviously this is allowed to supersede the old away.

This way people can easily work with different tactical groups for various purposes.
For instance people won't have to de-select the bard every time they want to give a full party attack order so they can have him remain playing the tune. This is certainly the most universal remedy instead of writing class specific behavioral code, where the AI in BG is mostly useless in this day and age.

7) Magic items visuals for BG1. I don't know if that is coming with the new engine but BG1 magic items can only be recognized on their properties screen with the "UNIDENTIFIED" sign. It would be good have display mark of some sorts with their ICON form, regardless if the art is identical to low quality stuff.
P.S.
(This is resolved by BG1 ToSC which adds the blue tint) But the game without the expansion still has plain white magical items - don't how it will be for BG:EE - BG1 playout.)

8) Tripple Quick-save system. Where 3 different files are maintained oldest is overwritten first and newest is quickloaded. If you feel generous make the number definable.

9) A folder of individual autosaves is maintained instead of 1 being overwritten.

If any of the suggested things are already in the way - feel free to delete them or strike them out,

... Lets just hope the new game manuals would be updated accordingly or there'll be crazy confusion as to what is what.
Post edited by Polymorpher on

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738

5) Magic items visuals. I don't know if that is coming with the new engine but BG1 magic items can only be recognized on their properties screen with the "UNIDENTIFIED" sign. It would be good have display mark of some sorts with their ICON form, regardless if the art is identical to low quality stuff.

Not really sure what you mean by this. I'm not 100% sure, but I think all magical items already had a distinct inventory icon when compared to non-magical items.
  • PolymorpherPolymorpher Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2012
    I can assure you unidentified magical items in BG1 (without expansion) look the same as non magical.
    But I guess that is solved by the expand that adds the blue tint - which is sufficient. I mentioned it because I don't know how deployment will work with BG:EE. And if people can install BG1 without ToSC they still might run into it - don't know not really a coder.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Also, the F-keys are already a part of the BG2 engine, so we can expect that to be carried over.

The unit-selection thing... I don't know. You've only got six party members. Is it really that cumbersome to select the party members you want to use?

My primary concern is that the party NPCs are already mapped to number keys (1 through 6), and the Ctrl+Number commands already do something in Debug mode. I guess you could come up with a different method of mapping units, but considering that there are only six people in your crew, I don't really see how this would be useful.

I like the auto-save history idea. Personally, I'd like to see the saves be organized by game--so if I have my "Ike" game, all of my saves for that game would be grouped together, rather than quick saves overwriting my quick saves from my "Mike" game.
  • DMZDMZ Member Posts: 39

I can assure you unidentified magical items in BG1 (without expansion) look the same as non magical.
    But I guess that is solved by the expand that adds the blue tint - which is sufficient. I mentioned it because I don't know how deployment will work with BG:EE. And if people can install BG1 without ToSC they still might run into it - don't know not really a coder.

I don't know what BG1 you have been playing, but mine has vastly different icons for magical weapons, even without expansion. A longsword+1 is easily distinguishable from a normal longsword, they have different artwork. I even use this to guess what I am currently carrying. Varscona +2 looks nothing like a normal long sword, another example.

• PolymorpherPolymorpher Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2012
    I do - 1 group for melee, 2 for range, 3 group all but bard, 4 group for thieve/s and at least 3 more groups. Its all dependant on situational needs. And the conflict is avoidable by either using the F1-12 keys as assignments and selection or simply binding the old individual member selections to other keys.

@DMZ I was talking about the blue layer filling the square - which can be seen even as you pick them up on the ground. That wasn't there till I installed the ToSC today. And BG1 was up to date with bg114315.
    Post edited by Polymorpher on
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    @Polymorpher
    ad. 1) I'm sure that I used quickload hotkey in BG. As I remember there was problem when you tried assign a 1-button hotkey, so for example "L" hotkey didn't worked, but ctrl+L worked it was strange but I believe it saved me from "accidental load the game" many times.

ad. 2) I believe it was used for all UI buttons in BG1 and BG2.

ad. 7) It is not vanilla BG1 so it is not a problem anymore (with add-on and later with BG2 it was already solved)

ad. 4-6 and 8, 9 are pretty good ideas
    ad. 4) I usually try to get a lot of books then all books I read at once, this way it would be much easier
    especially if there would be a weapons descriptions too (like in the original BG1's manual).
    6) It was usually annoying to quickly pick up all fighters when you have fighter in rear guard and fighter in vanguard (when you try to hide all those defenseless chars in the middle).