Skip to content

BG1 - Open up sound resources for char selection (amd a wee bit for portraits)

PolymorpherPolymorpher Member Posts: 11
edited October 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
All the recruit-able characters have their voice packs (I assume). As we don't use all of them the least we can have is their voice packs at disposal for char creation. While it may result in duplicate party members voices the diversity is certainly worth it.

This should also apply to any of the other games which have unavailable voice packs that could be used for party members.

It certainly easy to give us command of whats already there than have us only dream of new voices and such.

While I'd even go as far as to say, that if you feel very generous to your fans you can cross-port every applicable voice pack between every game you have legal access to.

Same goes for portraits I'd say. But that field has never been too demanding as BG/IWD is amidst the first and among the few games that allow importing custom avatar/portrait functions.

I just hope the image formats get a bit updated because of the 3 image editors I can't find one that has the option of creating 8bit BMPS ( : The lowest mine will go is 16.

Bumping it to PNG i suppose would be all anybody could ask for.
Post edited by Polymorpher on

Comments

• ryu1ryu1 Member Posts: 76
    edited October 2012
    Hmm, kinda weird to create a female char then have Imoen's voice pack. I would probably think that she's an Imoen wannabe. Maybe add other sounds during character creation, you can hear a phrase when you pick an alignment. I can just hear it now when you choose Chaotic Evil: "Ahhh...so Darkness is your ally!"
    Post edited by ryu1 on
  • PolymorpherPolymorpher Member Posts: 11
    Except it would be welcome to anyone who ditches Imoen - and problematic to nobody as they can change their voice pack at any time with no hassle.

Also notifying people of the relevant info takes two sentences. On a tooltip or bracketed extra description.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    You can use their portraits, why not voice sets?
    Case and point.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    edited October 2012
    Only problem is when they're using names or specific references.

Imagine your custom cleric shouting "Go for the eyes. Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!!!"

Minsc will not be happy and Minsc will have MANY questions as to why exactly are you ordering around his giant miniature space hamster. Boo takes orders from no one!
    Again - simple point. Not having it makes nobody able to use it. Having it makes only those who want to use it.

How do you advocate?

"Ban fire from the world because its prone to burning?"
    "Or we should ban knives from the world because some use them for killing?"

How is a compulsory problem in any way equal to a voluntary problem?

Or do you consider me a retard thats not grasping his own statements acknowledging the likely outcomes of the proposition?

And how is that even a plausible argument? If we have to put the entire game on focus and irradiate any minor inconvenience on the same basis - they'd have to construct the whole thing from scratch.