Skip to content

Interesting video examination of how to play a paladin in BG

Through a post he made over on the Bioware boards, I discovered this series of short videos @algi has on YouTube examining how to play a correct AD&D paladin in BG based on the Paladin's Handbook. It turns out that the game doesn't enforce half of what you're supposed to be doing and how you're supposed to be playing.

I found it a fascinating view, and it has completely changed my idea of what a paladin should be in BG. I haven't been doing it right, not even close.

I'd like to invite friends from this forum to watch the (short) videos, and discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XGsBuyfDkA&index=1&list=PLf41g7oETc4COOSsCq9nOEd8h3k8n67Z7

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Couldn't you accept Duke Eltan's money on behalf of the church and go donate it right then? If your character didn't expect it and doesn't intend to keep it then no problem. In character, you might anticipate that a powerful man in that situation would reward you but you wouldn't know with what. If it was a magical item worth that same amount of gold then you might be able to keep it if you didn't have 10 magical items yet, right?

The game mechanics of handling money rewards is going to come up throughout the series. Sometimes I wish it were different, doesn't seem right sometimes that you get handed 1000's of gold pieces. How would you effectively carry it? How are you going to handle gem rewards out of curiosity?
  • algialgi Member Posts: 10
    There has been a change of plans, so I uploaded the latest video today! A platonic love letter to Imoen, my BFF:

https://youtu.be/kiPFdu9P6mI

And this concludes the my first batch of Ethos videos (which I call a 'season' in my self-importance), but I promise Algina will return with Chapter II of Baldur's Gate to have even more fun adventures where most of my playtime is taken up by paperwork, following how much money the paladin owns and how much was her income for the month.
  • algialgi Member Posts: 10
    @Ravenslight Thank you very much.

@BelgarathMTH I mostly agree, but you have to take in account that I'm at the end of Chapter I right now with maybe a week in (times passes way slower in the game than I thought it would). As the CPH writes, I pay tithe every month, so I didn't even have the opportunity to notice anything. And everything will have consequences in the future. In my last playthrough I experienced dramatic things, and following the ethos will make thins even more dramatic.

And most of these 12 videos will have followups later. There will be times when being honest will cost the party dearly and there will be times when Imoen's services will be needed very much. I think I will switch to tell the story in a chronological fashion instead of thematic, because that might make more sense in the future.

So, yes, that quote at the beginning of the video, about the paladin being responsible for Imoen, that's one of the rules of the Ethos I won't violate.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Guys, if you have the chance, post a comment in the videos of @algi , so he starts releasing new stuff!
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    This was very interesting. Maybe I should try again as a paladin.