Skip to content

Dispel Magic doesn't prevent fatigue from Haste (IWDEE)

Wutan1988Wutan1988 Member Posts: 131
edited May 2016 in Troubleshooting
Did Beamdog patch this or is it a bug?
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Fairly certain that it's supposed to happen that way.
  • Wutan1988Wutan1988 Member Posts: 131
    edited May 2016
    hmm in a guide i read on gamefaq from Haeravon he pointed out that this combination should work. Its a guide he wrote about Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition in 2014.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited May 2016
    Wutan1988 said:

hmm in a guide i read on gamefaq from Haeravon he pointed out that this combination should work. Its a guide he wrote about Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition in 2014.

Well, things have probably been updated since then. /shrug
    edited May 2016
    If Beamdog "fix" this then i don't understand it. I wouldn't call it cheese because you use another 3rd Level Spell Slot for this combination. But whatever...
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I don't think dispel magic would do this. In IWD you can cure fatigue by
    getting Berduskan Black Brew from the 4th floor of the Severed Hand.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 743
    edited May 2016
    I've never heard of that Dispel+Haste combination, and I doubt it actually worked. Not even the CTRL+R cheat removes fatigue.

That being said, I vaguely remember that someone (was is @subtledoctor ?) managed to get Spell Revisions v4 working in IWD:EE.

With that mod, Haste only gives temporary fatigue, so it's less punishing to use it early during the adventuring day. To balance it, the temporary fatigue it bestows has been made more severe, so it's risky to cast it during long battles.
    edited May 2016
    @mf2112

yeah but it is a potion. So you can only use it once. Would be n1 if that Combination would work because i hate to rest. There is also the Helmet of the Trusted Defender for Gnomes/Halflings but in my party right now there is no Slot for this Race.

IWD HOF Lvl 1 Run:

Fighter/Druid
    Fighter/Cleric
    Fighter/Thief
    Skald
    Sorcerer

I picked Dispel Magic for my Sorcerer because of that Combination only to find out that it doesn't work...
    ok somehow i can live with that. It botheres me a little bit. I mean Emotion Courage, Emotion Hope, Righteous Wrath of the faithfull and Haste are still a great wincon.

There are 2 Possibilities i guess:

1. Haeravon was somehow wrong about that
    2. It was fixed
    edited May 2016
    @ineth

Yeah i would appreciate a temporary fatique because of the reason that i hate it to rest xd. Then Haeravon must be wrong about that. You never stop learning;D

Thank you
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @subtledoctor

Do you know if its a divine or an arcane spell?

There is a lvl 4 Cleric Spell:

Unfailing Endurance

But sadly its single target. And i prefer Defensive Harmony atm.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    This is SOP for (self) detrimental spell effects and the same as the original IWD to boot.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Alright , I think I know why it happens:

1- Have you noticed that sometimes Haste DOESN'T make your characters fatigued? It happens if you had just rested and then casts haste.

2-As far as I can tell, fatigue must be, for the game engine, some kind of number or variable that when it reaches X (lower for low constitution, higher for high constitution) , you become fatigued.

I believe that the Haste spell add more than 50% to that number. If you ain't tired at all then you won't get fatigued, if you were already a little "spent" then you'll get fatigued. And it is not a magical effect since it's the same variable used for game mechanics in general.
    edited May 2016
    @DJKajuru

allright thats a very useful info. Thank you for that.
    That means i have to plan my haste better at low levels (i am at Kresselack's Tomb atm) so i don't get fatigued. Would be interesting btw to see the current fatique status of each individual Character on the screen. Maybe in the Character Menu. That way you could plan your haste better.

Edit: Ok i tried this out:

I rest and then i instantly used haste but my characters were fatigued regardless. And the constitution on my chars are not bad at all. The dwarf has 19^^
    edited May 2016
    @Wutan1988 , I've investigated it a bit further and there is indeed a "fatigue level" on characters..
    In Baldur's Gate the spell hastes increases your fatigue bonus by 4 (as if you had walked for 4 hours, I think)
    In icewind Dale it increases your fatigue bonus by 7 .

I think that's the reason it works in BG but not in IWD.
    @DJKajuru

Yep that's right. In BG i can always use 2 times haste before i must sleep. Well then i have to wait until my chars are High Level to use haste effectively.

Thank you for helping me.
    Wutan1988 said:

@DJKajuru

Yep that's right. In BG i can always use 2 times haste before i must sleep. Well then i have to wait until my chars are High Level to use haste effectively.

Thank you for helping me.

One more thing, fatigue causes an attack roll penalty, but at its first level it's only a -1 penalty. So even if your characters are fatigued, it might not be such a big deal.

What I usually is casting Haste on my party at the last or most difficult fight in a dungeon .