Skip to content

The "anti-self" roleplaying challenge

2»

Comments

• IglosnofIglosnof Member Posts: 119
    @justtravelinthrough For me the stats themselves are not particularly important. If you are totally average in the normal realm you would likely be considered below average in the fantasy realm. So feel free to bump them up a bit for the playthrough if you feel that will suit your character. That's what I did at least as it is somewhat hard to play a 12/11/10/10/11/12 character unless it's a sorcerer :)
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Maybe use the spoiler tags, @Iglosnof as sort of a compromise. Those who want to can read it, those who don't, don't have to at all. Plus it minimizes scrolling. :tongue:
    Iglosnof said:

JumboWheat01, playing evil doesn't necessarily mean being a total dip shit and killing everyone on sight. I will play evil and I plan to be quite pragmatic about it. My character will be mildly evil (just like I am only mildly good) and won't random slaughter people, but she will be a manipulator, a politician and greedy as hell. But if you really detest the idea of playing evil, don't play it. Chaotic neutral with some evil tendencies might work great though.

Yeah, evil just doesn't click for me. Chaotic on the other hand, that's always an interesting challenge.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Iglosnof , I like reading other people's journaled runs. You're good at it. Keep them coming. :)

It's interesting to read about an evil character who is nevertheless concerned about her reputation - smart evil instead of stupid evil. It's especially interesting to read about what you do to create opportunities to role-play an intelligent evil character appropriately using what the game gives you to work with, most of which is stupid evil as far as dialogue choices.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    This test proved to be entertaining. I am a human neutral good wizard (3rd level - why third level is a mystery to me) with below average stats for playing a wizard: 11/14/12/14/11/12

So does this make my PC a fighter perhaps a berserker or barbarian of some kind or maybe a cleric or rogue? opposite of arcane caster is divine caster maybe that is neutral evil or would that be chaotic or lawful? it could go either way.

Looking at the detailed breakdown the lowest class scores to determine the opposite -- my lowest scores were in cleric and barbarian (4) followed by bard and then rogue - so I guess any of these classes would work. My race would have to be either gnome or half-orc or halfling and my lowest alignment is chaotic evil - although I wonder if anyone doing this test would actually be chaotic evil.

And I guess that means low to mid con and int but everything else is average so the roll of the dice to see where it lands.
    Actually, now that I think about it, in D&D, I am a very vocal "class purist," playing and believing in sticking with one's class. Maybe I should make an actual multi-class character and play him from start to finish.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    I'd have to play as paladin. :<
    Gotta try it one day. ;)
    edited May 2016
    If you feel like you're forced into Paladin hood, either subvert the "lawful stupid" trope or play it to hilarious extremes. Sometimes you just have to take yourself not seriously when you take yourself seriously.

On my end, the multiclass thing is all right, with a Dwarven Fighter/Cleric essentially being a paladin of sorts. Still annoying me for unknown reasons. I don't know why I prefer playing one class and one class only on my characters. Maybe from playing so many other RPGs where you couldn't combine things. Who knows.

Maybe I should look at another aspect and try to opposite it. Hrm... Well, I do love magic in all its forms, divine, arcane and psionic. Perhaps a Wizard Slayer. Now wouldn't THAT be a challenge...

An interesting one though... hrm...
    If you feel like you're forced into Paladin hood, either subvert the "lawful stupid" trope or play it to hilarious extremes. Sometimes you just have to take yourself not seriously when you take yourself seriously.
    Paladin who doesn't want to be a Paladin seem to be fun thing to do.
    Make yourself something slightly different then, like a Cavalier or an Undead Hunter. You don't really wanna be tied to the whole "paladin-hood" thing, you just want to kill dragons or zombies. The fact that you're stuck with the rest of the baggage annoys you.
    Arrogant, merciless warrior of light, who doesn't give money to beggars, because he needs those super arrows for dragon-slaying? Or for those cool scrolls protecting from undead?
    God, you got me tempted! :D
    After all, as the title of my favorite Paladin guide for 5e says, "Good is not nice." Sure, you may feed that beggar for the day if you give him the coin, but you'll make sure he lives for the rest of his miserable life if you kill that lich sending zombies everywhere or that red dragon threatening the town.
    Well, I've finally settled down on a choice. Wizard Slayer it is.

And stat wise, he is pretty different from what I normally get on the quiz. High physical, "poor" mental stats. Alignment is still within my "variance," though. Small steps, I guess.

Though he's totally using axes. I love me a good axe.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    Am playing with my f/t evil dwarf with great con and str. Not the smartest fellow though and wielding axe and shield. This is a fun challenge.
    edited June 2016
    For my anti-self role playing, I rolled up a cleric/thief multi-class gnome - I almost never play either cleric or thief or gnome - so I can play both in this run, she is also neutral evil.

Brief History:

She loves to talk and gives sermons to the gullible tourists that venture to Candlekeep. Her high charisma makes her the perfect con artist to fleece the weak willed and the gullible. Her moderately high wisdom says she loves her god (God of thieves: Mask) but not so much that it interferes with her fleecing of the sheep. She is not the smartest person with a moderate average intelligence - meaning she doesn't like to study really but prefers to hang outside a window or roof listening to sermons by the priests of her order. As a gnome she has average strength but due to her enjoyment of climbing walls and walking on roofs for late night sneaking she has an amazing dexterity and good constitution. She enjoys sun bathing while listening to sermons and using her skills to get others to depart with their gold and possessions.

Being neutral evil - for her means she is just doing things for herself in away that is enjoyable but rather illegal - conning people is something that is illegal after all. She lies and will steal if no one else is paying attention and might even do it if they are. She is willful and enjoys breaking some of the rules that society has arbitrary made for civilized society she is after all a gnome living in a dominant human society. She uses her height and cuteness to appear harmless to con others and make the most of their inability to see what is in front of them - if you see a short, cute and child-like person and assume she is going to not rob you or trick you then you deserve to be taken advantage of.

She enjoys spending time with "Papa Gorion" who is brilliant and she loves to listen to his stories as she grew up. Her best friend and sister in crime is Imoen, who gets into as much if not more trouble than Seo as they go about their adventures in Candlekeep. Breaking into the main library and "borrowing" mage text and scrolls for Imoen is always fraught with danger, as who knows the protection that the books have on them.

Story Begins:

Our story begins one afternoon as Seo is enjoying another lazy afternoon listening to priests from her tree branch perch while cutting classes again. Her eyes are closed enjoying the afternoon shade from the blistering heat of the afternoon, her thoughts focused on the nights work that she has planned with Imoen, when "papa Gorion" appears and using his forceful gaze tells her that she is accompanying him on a journey. His parental gaze tells her to get ready for a journey even and no back talk and so with little choice Seo rushes off to prepare for her journey. In her room she quickly gathers her journey sack and gear (trusty lock picks and climbing ropes) and sleeping gear, and pens a quick note to Imoen telling her of unexpected plans that will disrupt tonights activity that they had planned.

Quickly checking the funds "papa Gorion" gave her, Seo walks over to the merchant to purchase what is needed. She gives a smile that the merchant frowns at as he knows she is a little light fingered when she goes into his store. Seo looks at his good and wonders if stealing is worth the effort but decides against it as "papa Gorion" probably would not want to sit for a few hours listening to a lecture on raising such a lawless child who steals. Purchasing her goods quickly and finding that she has time before meeting papa Gorion she explores the inn and perhaps if luck is on her side perhaps fleece a mark or two that she noticed when she first entered the inn.

Post edited by magisensei on
    Your gnome sounds like a kitten. Which sounds like it would be a fun run.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I'm never going to play my anti-self, because that person would be chaotic evil, and my self-self can't stomach playing the game that way. I think my computer might explode from the meeting of matter and anti-matter. Maybe the whole universe would explode from the meeting of identical particles of matter and anti-matter. ;)
    edited June 2016
    Journal of Se’o Iyndex: Day 1 continued

The inn was crowded today as usual full of guests wanting to read and get information from the great library. Everyone from students to scholars, from clerics to mages, from prophets to madmen and princes and kings, to the random druid and adventurer, and even nobles who had too much money but not enough sense came to visit the Great Library some for knowledge but most to say that they came to the greatest library on the Sword Coast if not all of Faerun. Today before leaving with papa I would make a bit more traveling money and ease our journey with all these guests that had come to the great library there is nothing like being a tourist attraction to attract the rich and the clueless.

My first target was my usual target for a quick sum of gold – Firebead. I still don’t know if he was just humoring me or if he really falls for my ploys but today once again after running a quick errand for him I was able to con him out of 300 golds. Now this amount was a good amount and would make enjoying the trip as rushed as it is a lot easier for us. Papa Gorion never really liked to spend too much gold when we traveled so I always added to the budget and made the trip that much more comfortable for us. My next target was a pair of nobles that were dressed rather lavishly for a simple outing even at the Great Library. I spoke to them briefly using my knowledge of the monks and convinced them to not be so ostentatious with their dress as it would make the monks uncomfortable. It was easy convincing them that the monk would prefer in general less display of wealth and this easily lead them to decide on their own to put their jewelry back in their room. How easy it is to trick nobles and providing the right words that they can come to a conclusion so it doesn’t look like I am conning them. The noble couple quickly went upstairs and changed before once again heading out into the library and I followed them up the stairs marking their room while waiting just long enough for them to leave the inn before taking the liberty of helping myself to a bit of nice jewelry that would help me pay our expenses. Always thinking about expenses and budgets thats me. As I helped myself to the noble’s jewels I also took a brief tour to the other rooms in the inn. There is nothing liked locked rooms and quests to make your empty pockets a little bit heavier with gold. I think the best think besides jewels was a potion that I will have to figure out what it does when I have a bit of leisure time tonight.

Tricking nobles out of their wealth always reminds me of the stories Papa would tell me about Robyn of Linwood a robber-bandit-baroness who would steal from the rich and help the poor, but unlike her I mostly lined my own pockets or bought the occasional shiny but magical bauble which I always liked to have and help Imoen and papa with whatever book or scroll expenses they had - books and scrolls sure do cost a lot. As the day continued I had ran into a few more friends from the library that wanted me to run a few errands for them. With a few hours before meeting papa I decided to do these quicks errands and add to my stockpile of gold and jewels for the trip. Everything was easy enough but the most frightening thing was that I ran into not one but two people that wanted to kill me. Sure I tricked a fair share of people from merchants to nobles but to hire someone to kill me was excessive for the amount that I steal – I mean hiring an assassin even a cheap one is more expensive than what was lost to me. I spoke to both very briefly and it seems that they were hired to target me specifically – was this about me or was this something that had to do with papa Gorion and our need for a quick departure from Candlekeep. Luck was with me during these two separate encounters, luckily for me I had my trusty staff and a bit of luck I was able to overcome both of them. I found nothing on them to indicate why they had done this but I would be a lot more careful during the trip to look out for people that would hurt either me or Papa. Finishing the errands I ran into Imoen and quickly apologized for not being able to come with her tonight on her little heist and though she wanted to come with me (I wanted her to come as well) I imagined that papa would not want extra company and Imoen would be safer her at the Library. Finishing off the errands was quickly done and I was able to sweet talk Fuller into giving me a little something extra for running his errands but sadly it was a dagger not something I generally use but it was extra sharp and would sell for a nice price. As the afternoon waned I gathered my gear and found papa Gorion all ready to go and so for the first real time we left on a real journey from Candlekeep into the world.

Day I – Night

We traveled most of the day way into the night before Papa suddenly stopped us. I was hoping to set up camp for the night as it was a long journey and the thrill of traveling really loses a lot of luster after trekking through the wilderness for a few hours. I was about to ask why when Papa hushed me quickly, a look of concern appeared on his face and his eyes took on a stern and powerful look – it was a look I rarely saw but understood – he was calling on his powers and something flashy and dangerous was about to happen. I stood waiting looking into the dark forest that surrounded us for danger, my staff held loosely in my hand ready for defense or a quick whack and a quick spell was already prepared for the unwary foe who would emerge from the dark or at least I hoped I was ready for a real fight. From the shadow of the forest a group that I didn’t see emerged before us, bandits I thought but they were much better dressed then I imagined bandits would ever be and the leader or at least who I thought was a leader was all in full armor not something a bandit would wear. This was strange and nothing like the stories I had heard from papa or the wandering bards that made their way through Candlekeep. He spoke to papa in a deep voice that screamed to me that he was dangerous and evil and much to my shock they wanted me, why I couldn’t fathom unless they were another set of assassins like the ones at the Library but for a few coins this was going way too far. I was about to speak but Papa quickly told me to run, although I wanted to stay and help and perhaps talk our way out of this situation or at least figure out why, I knew my little spells would not help and just my presence here would hinder papa from casting more freely for fear of injuring me with his spells. The look from papa and the one from the armored leader said that talk was over, I looked at them quickly remembering their faces and clothes just in case, when the battle was started without another word. “Ouch!” an arrow even one that grazes sting like the abyss and I moved quickly to hide as papa had told me to. I pulled one of my handy smoke-stink bombs from my jacket and threw it down on the ground making my escape into the woods ducking and swerving through the forest, a few more arrows flashed by me as I ran but nothing hit me as I made my head long run into the darkening forest of the night. As I ran I could hear Papa’s voice as he intoned the eldritch language and lights and screams where heard in the night. I ran until exhausted the noise from the battle far away, my first real battle was frightening and a little thrilling. I quickly took stock of myself and bandaged my injury – arrow burns hurt but it was nothing I couldn’t deal with but worry settled in my stomach as I wondered how the battle would turn out – Papa would win since his magic was powerful but the group of assassins seemed to prepare to deal with him. Dark thoughts and worry followed me into sleep which seemed to overcome me as the day’s excitement and fleeing into the tonight finally caught up with in a fitful sleep.

I woke to a clear sky and a warm weather if a little stiff from sleeping in a tree. I almost fell out of my perch when I heard a voice below me that I recognized – it was Imoen. A familiar voice was something that was good to hear after last night but I wondered how she had found me, luck maybe or skill? Imoen was like that once in a while appearing and doing things out of the blue, perhaps it was a magic trick she learned from all those books she read or perhaps she was just that lucky, I’d have to ask her one of these days. Dropping from my perch to the ground I quickly explained to Imoen what had happened that night. She was concerned as Papa was also like to a father to her. Imoen like me had prepared for this journey equipped with her bow and gear. We followed my trail back to the clearing from last night after a few rough starts neither of us really great at tracking or wood lore but we managed somehow. The sunny sky and peaceful morning lay in spectacular contrast to the clearing and what we found – Papa had fallen to them and although he took some of them with him – Papa Gorion was gone and I was too late to help or understand why it had all happened. Imoen and I sat stunned for a while and the only thing that was heard in the clearing was that of tears and cries of two young women that had lost someone who was precious to them. After the tears had dried we gave Papa a burial here in the woods marking his grave stone so we could bring his body back to Candlekeep later. We didn’t know what to do and what we found on Papa’s body only gave hints but nothing concrete as to what road to follow. We knew Candlekeep would bar us from returning without Papa’s present with us when I remembered what Papa said if we ever got separated, I was to find his friends at a place called the Friendly Arms Inn, a place which I really had no notion of where it was save that it was north of us. Sad but determined we began our journey northwards with heavy hearts but I was determined to find out why and someone would pay for what they did to me but especially for the death of Papa Gorion.

• ThorgaazThorgaaz Member Posts: 46
    Hmm, the only thing i dont understand is the stats. Playing the opposite means your stats should be the opposite too right? But in everything else, I guess I can play a real strong character.

Im an Tall, white, male, chaotic good character with an big belly. Pretty peacefull and not seeking for money. Deep but still simple minded who doesnt justify any person, but only their deeds.

Which means my opposite should be an rigtheous evil female Drow. Berserker-Mage (not peaceful and complex mind) which is permanently seeking for power and defiles people pretty easily.

Stats (I guess)

Str 12
    Dex 16
    Con 13
    Int 14
    Wis 13
    Cha 18 (I really had some trouble with people so the opposite is...)

In the end Awesome class and race, but the stats suck. Even with my under averange stats in reallive i should still reach 6 or 7 in most. Which means my heros stats cant reach max.

By the way funny idea. Thats a rule where emos rock.
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    Lawful Neutral Human Monk/Wizard (3rd/2nd Level)

1 point more in neutral than good, 1 more lawful than neutral.

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 17
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 14
    Intelligence- 19
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 13

That would be an awesome charname! Pretty generous test though...

Screw the challenge, I really want to play a Monk/Wizard! Sadly my lawful tendencies doesn't allow me to tinker with EE keeper.
    If you're willing to go good, Sun Soul will give you some offensive mage-y flavor, with their fire blasting and defense, while if you're willing to go evil, Dark Moon will give you some more defensive mage-y flavor.