Skip to content

Will the original loading screens be retained in BGEE?

waardeniuswaardenius Member Posts: 58
The thought just struck me.

I found the original look of the game quite delicious, and a huge part of that were those loading screens featuring an adventuring party consisting of a mage, a dwarf and a ranger along with a couple of armored guys in various traveling scenes. On top of that there were a few unique ones, of which the one were you leave Candlekeep along with Gorion (even if he doesn't look much like himself) obviously is the one I remember the best.

I never fund BGTutu very enjoyable, because while the content sure was that of Baldur's Gate it never felt like it, with everything just looked and felt SoA, and the loading screens were a big part of that.

I sincerely hope these great pieces of art are retained in the Enhanced Edition, and I suspect I migh not be the only one.

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    BGEE won't have loading screens.
  • waardeniuswaardenius Member Posts: 58
    Tanthalas said:

BGEE won't have loading screens.

Boo. Whistle.

But okay, I see now why they are sort of redundant. I need to try to remember that technology has moved forward since 1998...
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    I still kinda hope the art will be available in some form... But yeah, you wont be seeing them in loading screens, because there arent any :P
  • waardeniuswaardenius Member Posts: 58
    Well I suppose this means that we now have a completely new genre of nostalgia: Loading Screen Nostalgia. Staring at the screen for as much as a minute, fingers crossed, listening to your machine struggling to read you CD, deep in your heart supecting that last scratch may have put you in the position of buying the game anew...

Ah, those were the days, eh?
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Heh. I remember those! Back in 98 it took awhile for each zone to load. Those illustrations really added a good flavor to the overall experience.

You can still see them in the GOG version of the original game, but the areas load so quickly that they're only visible for a few seconds at a time.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    I had a cd completely scratched when I was little that my cd drive had some problems reading but at last I could play the game. Nowadays, my cds/dvds are scratchless, with some minor exceptions... :D