Skip to content

Shaman vs Druid kit?

I'm having a hard time seeing the advantages of the Shaman over the Totemic Druid and I'd like the input of others.

Both have access to the same spells, barring those specific to shamans.

Druids will have access to more spells per day at every level. This is due to the Wisdom bonus and druid items such as the Heartwood Ring.

Shaman spell selection is permanent. This makes it difficult to justify selecting spells that have limited viability, such as the low level summoning spells. Animal Summoning 2 can be great when you first unlock it, but stops being useful in the later game. At least with a Druid, I can use the spell while it's good and forget it when it's no longer needed.

Other than spontaneous casting, I'm having a hard time justifying picking a Shaman over a Druid kit. The dance is an interesting ability but it conflicts with the rest of his kit - casting spells, attacking, or detecting illusions cancel the spirits. I could pick the summoning spells, but then I'm getting in my own way by not using the class ability.

While Druid spells might be underwhelming, the new Shaman spells don't look too appealing either.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    First, don't underestimate spontaneous casting. Being able to cast the right spell for the situation five times instead of twice is a big advantage.

Second, shaman dance is better than you think it is. After all, it doesn't use up any resources at all. You can dance to deal with trash mobs, or after you've thrown out a couple spells. You end up having a bit of a fighter/druid dynamic thanks to the dance, although the transition from spells to hitting stuff isn't nearly as fluid.
  • Clumsy_DwarfClumsy_Dwarf Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2016
    Jarrakul said:

First, don't underestimate spontaneous casting. Being able to cast the right spell for the situation five times instead of twice is a big advantage.

Second, shaman dance is better than you think it is. After all, it doesn't use up any resources at all. You can dance to deal with trash mobs, or after you've thrown out a couple spells. You end up having a bit of a fighter/druid dynamic thanks to the dance, although the transition from spells to hitting stuff isn't nearly as fluid.

I'm finding another good tactic is to spend a few rounds pre summon spirits and have your scout kite back to the group, then break to heal/cast as needed.

Post edited by Clumsy_Dwarf on
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    I find the sharman works very well in no-reload but my spells are party heal | buff mostly
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    i see no reason to play a shaman , since you can beef up your druid with just a few sprinkles of fighter with literally no downside at all..(unless you really want that totemic druid , but that animals cant stand up to the beef that 2-3 levels fighter add, or 7 if you wanna really go deep into it.)
    adding grand mastery , dual weapon fighting , plate armor , shields.
    they have more spells , and can use the spells in the right time period , you don't need animal summoning one in TOB .. also fringe spells a shaman wouldn't consider and which might only be useful 1-2 times in the whole saga , guess what the druid has it.

and while the shaman does his silly dance the druid just Pummels enemy's himself.... i don't like skills that lock my character down.
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited May 2016
    Single class druids are quite powerful, thanks to crazy fast XP progression pre-14, which among other things means that they get their "I win" spells earlier than other classes.
    Unless you're one of those "end game is all that matters" kind of folks, single class druids have a definite place in the class balance spectrum. Especially if it's the PC.

What the shaman badly needs, imo, is an ability that allows him to cast spells while he's busy doing something else. Thematically, the Shaman's spirit guide is supposed to be able to assist the shaman with casting spells. Having an ability that allows the shaman to cast spells without breaking detect illusions/dancing once every turn (cooldown decreases with levels, to a minimum of once every 6 or so rounds maybe) would definitely help make the class' gameplay more fluid.
    Post edited by Nuin on