Skip to content

Some artworks

SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
Hi

While waiting for the 30th November, I decided to draw/paint some landscape from Faerun.

I have started with Kuldahar :

http://hpics.li/6a42c33

tell me if you like it (I hope, something like 8 hours of work, it's my first art with Photoshop).

More to come as soon as I can, I have a lot of landscape projects (Watcher's Keep/Suldanessalar...)

edit : grass updated
Post edited by Seldar on

Comments

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Keep it up! we need a fan art thread, is this it?
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    Are you taking suggestions? I once saw a really cool picture, can't find it on the internet right now. It was a German city, the "camera" was looking to the west and you could see some famous buildings of said city as well as a little bit of France, Spain, and on the horizon the tip of the statue of Liberty.

Now make something like this for Athkatla, with de'Arnise Keep and Trademeet, Umar and Windspear Hills on the horizon. That would be such an awesome desktop background!
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    hummm I see, something like a 3D map if you were in the sky.

I could try but I can't guarantee the result
    edited October 2012
    The original was more like a standing on the street, looking west and being able to see all that. In order to have all that stuff visible and distinguishable, the landscape was made slightly concave and all the art was a bit cartoonysh too.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    Snow is excellent. Really one criticism is the grass is too smooth. You need to add the fine embellishments of blades to make it look more grassy bro.

It's pro regardles.
  • XanthulXanthul Member Posts: 57
    I'm not much of an art guy, but you've made me want to play IWD for the first time in 6 years so that's gotta count for something
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Arundel's house, right? It's amazing how these games bring places and people to life. I've been to Kuldahar, Baldur's Gate, and Athkatla so many times, they seem like real places.

Good work.
    yeah it's Arundel's House

@Ward => yes I see what you mean, I'll do some updates
  • ZraenianZraenian Member Posts: 26
    @Seldar the depth and giganticness is missing. I dont get the feeling that it should be a huge tree where people live.

I get the feeling that either the (?) elf is a giant, or that the lake on the right is just a mudpool. Could be fixed with hardening the horizon. Create distance between the person and the landscape.

uh, yeah now you say that...

but it's hard to give that feeling of distance :/
  • ZraenianZraenian Member Posts: 26
    edited October 2012
    Id try to match it with mountains/hills. or a decent seized house/mountain to make more refernces to how big it is. And remove the branch of leaves above its head. Now that makes it look like he is already in the forest.
  • KlonoaKlonoa Member Posts: 93
    @Seldar

Things in the foreground are typically darker with stronger hues/intensity and go gradually lighter and more grey as they progress backwards. You have the basic concept down (man's armor darkest, the trees and then the very back) but it needs more levels.

I think you wanted the trees very dense so that you wouldn't see the light on the horizon but I don't think it can work, you will need to put some of that at the back it will give the forest depth.

Unless there is another light source the figure would not be lighted so strongly - the leaves for example I assume don't come from the big tree but hanging near the figure. They would be almost black. If you do that and darken the figure at the front (the part being lighted towards the trees) it will establish the distance better and his priority.

I'm sorry I really suck at explaining things, I've got some work to do but I can dig out a tutorial to explain it better later if you like.
    edited October 2012
    @Klonoa

ok so you mean increase dark area and decrease light source ?

I'll try to do remove some trees in the background and add moutains or something

thanks for replies both
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited October 2012
    Klonoa said:

@Seldar

Things in the foreground are typically darker with stronger hues/intensity and go gradually lighter and more grey as they progress backwards.

I think these are great suggestions. Here is a small and simplified list of ways in which I think of treating distance (some already mentioned)

Tonal recession - things becoming lighter and less contrasted in the distance

Colour recession - things in the distance becoming more dominated by blue tones (though I do think the green-ness adds to the feeling that we are in a great forest)

Focal equality - Probably a personal choice, a lot of artists employ an out of focus background as if they are imitating a camera as a shorthand for realism. But the brain doesn't see like this, we look at everything over time, not in a snapshot like a camera, you can show distance in this way by hinting at some of the vast quantity of detail that occupies the distant space. Little people, little houses, we all know what size they are supposed to be, so they give scale.

Connectivity - Taking your last piece as an example, there are a couple of elements missing that I imagine could connect the figure to the background.

- Either these are normal sized trees and he's standing watching ants or they are giants and he is very high in the air, if he had some branches or leaves below him (rather than over his head) you could use these to indicate that he is in fact IN a tree and thus presumably up in the air. Perhaps the leaves should be abnormally large to indicate the scale of the tree.
    - Connecting lanscape, a literal testament to the distance between the figure and the trees.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, I did also want to say that I really loved how you did the armour.
    @Filipse: that's a great stylisation of the logo! i needed a long time before realising what was hiding in the background. Good job!
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Between the two guys who've posted stuff in this thread and then the guy who did the Imoen, Minsc and Viconia pictures awhile ago, we've seen some pretty ballin' art around these parts.

Likes for everyone!
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

Between the two guys who've posted stuff in this thread and then the guy who did the Imoen, Minsc and Viconia pictures awhile ago, we've seen some pretty ballin' art around these parts.

Likes for everyone!

Good stuff for sure. This definitely reminds me how little artistic talent I have but how much I enjoy seeing the marvels others can create. I also am enjoying a bit of art education from the suggestions/comments offered by others on managing perspective, etc.
    Somehow this picture looks very elven, without any of them around, cool!
    Fall of Netheril, also called Karsus'Folly.

I know that the Mythallar is not responsible of the Fall but well, that blue light fits nice with that scenery (remember NWN1 add-on Shadows of Undrentide)

ps : Suldanessellar will be remake as soon as possible.
    edited November 2012
    Hi

another one, it's not 100% finished, tell me what seems wrong for you and i'll correct it.

updated
    Post edited by Seldar on
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Wow, last one looks very good. Only the mushrooms seem out of place.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Fuck it. I'm stopping commissioned work and going to finish that Viconia illustration tonight!
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited November 2012
    Seldar said:

Hi

another one, it's not 100% finished, tell me what seems wrong for you and i'll correct it.

Agreed with @Kirkor the mushrooms look out of place, either correct them or remove them altogether - they're drawing the eye away from the figure in the centre. I'd also recommend you review the trees on either side, they're currently being dictated by the edges of the image, especially the tree on the left, edit it so it's less straight, the entire trunk doesn't have to be all in view. Oh and the black area in the back I'd consider changing, perhaps to a dark moss with highlights of blue for the light.
    Post edited by Jaxsbudgie on
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Seldar The red mushrooms in the foreground take attention away from the hair of the woman (?) in the midground. I'd make them a lighter, less intense color (although I get it- red that bright and intense in the plant kingdom means "poisonous". The white mushrooms in the background are okay, but are too sharply rendered and stand out a little too much. Maybe you could go with a more shelf-shaped mushroom formation?

Something like this, maybe: image

And the message I get from the artwork is that the woman might look dead, but like the poisonous mushrooms, she's still dangerous and can kill you if you aren't careful.