Skip to content

Touch Spells/proficiencies/backstab under the new system.

FigrutFigrut Member Posts: 109
When using "Ghoul Touch" under the new system, what weapon proficiency will it consider (I am guessing not "blunt")? In Totsc, I remember having to get behind people to backstab them, and not in daylight. Is this maybe a use for "infravision"? Does the BGII engine work the same way? When a druid shapeshifts, are there any proficiencies that affect my paw other than dispelling it and just using my weapon? Does Baldur's gate II consider "facing" and "daylight" at all in the same way as Totsc?

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I don't think backstabbing is affected by daylight. As long as you're hidden or invisible and behind the target you can backstab.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited October 2012
    I'm 99% sure that you have to be behind an enemy to backstab them. Also, it is perfectly possible to backstab in BG or BGII in daylight, it's just more difficult because being in a well lit environments gives you a penalty to your stealth check. Infravision is useless, and will continue to be so unless the devs specifically tweak the spell (there have actually been a couple threads about this and how it could be improved).

I could be wrong, but I think that the shapeshifting paws don't use any weapon proficiency (you get no bonuses or penalties) but I think you may gain the benefits from weapon *style* proficiency, namely single weapon style. No clue about touch spells.

Edit: looks like Awong124 ninja'd me about the backstabbing in daylight bit.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Yea, maybe there should be a bare hand weapon style. Monks, druids, mages and clerics can benefit from this.
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    Being a touch attack they should be defending with their base armor with dexterity adjustments vs your straight d20 attack roll (no bonuses)

Example:

Fighter with 15 dexterity gets a 9 for his defense, meaning you need to roll an 11 or higher to hit them, so the attack should have a roughly 40% - 60% chance to land based on the defenders dex bonus/penalty. Saving throws I'm not so sure about... but that's kinda why you had to roll the attack roll...of course magic resistance would still be applied.

However I believe they are not programmed that way in the game... I'm pretty sure the target gets their full armor bonus vs your d20 and thac0; however you can hit creatures requiring a magical weapon with these attacks, but they are pretty worthless as is in BG, save for vampiric touch, which has been fixed in BGEE.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Figrut Chill Touch and Ghoul Touch used the Blunt Weapon Proficiency in BG and ToTSC (and you received a to hit penalty if you didn't have any points in it). The proficiency requirement was removed for BG2 and ToB and a standard +4 to hit bonus was added, if I remember correctly.
  • FigrutFigrut Member Posts: 109
    Thank you all! That pretty much covers it.