Skip to content

Single Class Casters (Druids, Mages, Clerics) vs Multi.

2»

Comments

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I like single classed characters: It annoys me no end that Imoen, Naliah and Jan don't have spell quick-slots.
    Still, I love having Jaheira around for metal-armour+ironskins+a decent chance to hit with dual wielding.
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    For those worried about reaching level 9 mage spells as a multi, I'd advise abusing the deck of many things. Boot your party members & net 1,300,000 xp for your character alone, or if your PC isn't multi & you'd like to give Jaheira a boost just keep her in the party - It's still an extra 650,000 xp each.

Having a rotating party roster in BG2 helps as well, a couple of NPCs personal quests can be triggered by merely entering an area. Such as Cernds quest & Keldorns, kick them from the party once you complete them (that's if you're not intending to keep them). Once you've completed all the NPC quests recruit the party you want.

It all helps!
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I'm trying to decide if I should be making a Fighter dualed cleric instead of my dwarven fighter/cleric that I have currently.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316

I'm trying to decide if I should be making a Fighter dualed cleric instead of my dwarven fighter/cleric that I have currently.

Stick with the dwarf.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Silence said:

On the druid debate: Single-class druids might not get to level 7 spells very fast, but they do get to level 6 spells slightly earlier (if I'm not mistaken). Summon Fire Elemental is an awesome level 6 spell. When you get it, most enemies will not even be able to damage the fire elemental due to it's immunity to non-magical weapons.

They actually get access to a level 6 spell (and I'm not using the plural because it is only one spell at a time lol), at 200,000 experience (comparatively for clerics you'd need 675,000 to get to that point). So basically by the time you leave Irenicus's dungeon, assuming you've started out at 161,000, killed everyone, removed traps/picked locks, and done the quests, you should be past that point as a single-class druid where you can cast that one level 6 spell.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    High level spells are over-rated.

There, I said it. If you never cast a 9th level spell, you'll be fine. If you never cast a 7th level spell for divine casters, you can totally plow through the game.

I would venture 5th and 6th level spell slots, both arcane and divine, are all that's really "necessary." 9th level stuff is purely overkill and often times I find myself never casting anything out of the top end caster slots for either class til super late game Throne of Bhaal simply because my typical strategy of debuff enemy, buff self ends most fights before they really begin.