Skip to content

Spells which don't break Invisibility?

I was always under the impression that casting ANY spell as an invisible character would break the invisibility. I never even bothered trying over my years of playing.

Just today, however, I cast the level 1 Armor spell as my illusionist/thief while invisible and retained my invisibility. Thinking it was just a visual bug, I approached some enemies but remained unseen.

Does anyone know which spells don't break invisibility (either the characteristics of those spells - e.g. self-targeting spells, or just a list of spells)?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    usually spells that are defensive wont break invisibility ( like the armor spells, protection from weapons spells, and the like) but any spell that is offensive will break invisibility ( your magic missiles, lightning bolts, haste even etc)

I think its based on spell schools, so abjuration spells, and possibly illusion spells will not break your invisibility, but the other schools will, and if you have improved invisibility offensive spells will make it so you are detectable, but your enemies will have a -4 to hit penalty on you and no spells can be targeted on you
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    @Ravel Your hunch is correct. All self-targeting spells and abilities can be cast without breaking invisibility.