Skip to content

HP gains at level up bugged?

red_codecred_codec Member Posts: 44
Currently on bg2 playing on a lvl 12 bard kit blade and I just levelled up to level 13. Whenever I level up, at least for the past few level ups from 11 to 12 and to 13, I gain only 2 hit points. I have 17 constitution and this is on core rules difficulty with max hit points on level up option toggled on. Am I bugged? Shouldn't I be receiving 1d6+3 hit points?

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Thieves and Bards only get +2 HP each level-up after level 10. This is not a bug. You only roll for HPs up until level 10.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited May 2016
    Hit Dice and Constitution-based HP bonuses only apply to levels 1-9/10 (depending on class). After that cutoff point, every class only gets static HP per level, with no bonuses for CON (+1 for Mages/Sorcerers, +2 for Clerics/Druids/Rogues, +3 for Fighters).
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • red_codecred_codec Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2016
    Oh gawd, so high con seems silly except for saving throws? I guess advantage of high con for rogues/bards is that they have a higher base hp towards end game?
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    If you're not a fighter/ranger/paladin you don't get any bonus hit points for having more than 16 CON. If you're a short race then I think you still get extra saving throws but 17-18 CON is worthless unless you use a CON-lowering item like the claw of Kazgoroth. On the bright side there is one point where you can choose to sacrifice your CON with no real loss.
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
    red_codec said:

Oh gawd, so high con seems silly except for saving throws? I guess advantage of high con for rogues/bards is that they have a higher base hp towards end game?

Higher CON does add some nice HP bonuses. The higher your level the less of an impact it is on your overall HP pool, but it's noticeable. Note though that CON-based HP are capped at CON 16 for all characters *except* Fighters (who get bonuses for CON >16 as well). The saving throw bonuses should be unaffected by this, as is CON-based regeneration (for very high CON values).

CON is by no means useless for non-Fighters, and it's one of the stronger stats overall. I suppose it's a bit more relevant for a Blade as you don't have a lot of dump stats (basically only WIS).
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Lord_Tansheron You mean "warrior" classes, not just fighters.
    jackjacksarevok57JuliusBorisov

@Lord_Tansheron You mean "warrior" classes, not just fighters.

Yes, of course. Should definitely be pointed out. Just like Rogue includes both Thieves and Bards, Warrior includes Fighters, Rangers, Paladins, and Barbarians.
    FinneousPJjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    edited May 2016
    EDIT: Wrong information forget that post.
    Post edited by DevardKrown on
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @DevardKrown You misread. Warriors get +3 HP per level after the cut-off point at level 9.
    jackjack
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421

@DevardKrown You misread. Warriors get +3 HP per level after the cut-off point at level 9.

you are ofc right , just double checked that , what a bummer~