Skip to content

Question: Non Damage Based Difficulty?

In SoD, Beamdog introduced options to modify difficulty levels to feature more challenging encounters (more and better enemies) without increasing damage. Does this work in BG1/BG2:EE as well? I know the "no damage based difficulty" setting is there, but I remember reading somewhere that the "tactical" encounter improvements haven't been implemented yet.

Has anybody tried this in BG1/BG2? What has been your experience?

Comments

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    It works for enemies, though I'm yet unsure if it applies correctly to traps.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    In BG2 there's no difference between Core Rules and Insane as far as more/smarter enemies.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I know I said there was no difference before in BG2, but now in patch 2.2 in LoB mode (not sure about other modes, that's what Im playing right now), enemies do seem to be slightly smarter.

They follow invisible characters around like they do in SoD and try to box them in so they can't move. You can't cheese enemies from just beyond the fog of war as easily either, as their allies will rush forward to see what's going on. Enemies will also buff and heal themselves with potions.
  • JustLeftJustLeft Member Posts: 76
    edited June 2016
    I thought enemies following invisible party member was a bug.

IIRC in IWD if you are soloing, enemies will follow you everywhere and surround you. If there are other party members, they will automatically head toward them even if they are far away from view.
  • ChadChad Member Posts: 90
    JustLeft said:

I thought enemies following invisible party member was a bug.

IIRC in IWD if you are soloing, enemies will follow you everywhere and surround you. If there are other party members, they will automatically head toward them even if they are far away from view.

Pretty sure this bug still exists in IWDEE. I always scout with my thief usually by casting invisibility on him so he can detect traps and disarm them while noting enemy locations. Problem is in IWDEE when you do this the enemies will invariably go find the rest of your party as soon as they trigger. Similar thing happens if you scout in BGEE though, for instance if you scout the Nashkel mines to remove traps, once you spot kobolds they start moving around, though it's more random and not directly toward your party...