Skip to content

bard companions?

cant see any bards on the wiki...

is there one?

got used to havign a bard in the grp during iwd playtrhough.

However iwd had regen song, which am not sure is in bg2?

if not there a mod to give bards their full power? ( i realise theres more regen gear in bg2)

Comments

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited May 2016
    There is one bard companion in BG2 named Haer'Dalis.

You can either get him by doing the theater quest that starts in the basement of the Five Flagons Inn at the Bridge District or you can get him directly if you go to the sewers in the Temple District. There are two hidden passage ways at the north side of the sewers, the left one takes you to the area where Haer'Dalis is.
    However, I personally suggest getting him via the theater quest.

Also, to get the most out of him story-wise, I also suggest bringing along Aerie (you can get her in the circus tent at Waukeen's Promenade). After having her in your party for a while, a messenger will show up who will then initiate the theater quest for you.
    Post edited by Buttercheese on
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited May 2016
    BG2 bards can use only one song.

BG2 is a high magic-epic level campaign, outside of basic game mechanics it's a very different game from IWD. In BG2 you get most of your healing from items and divine magic classes, and they (druids, especially) have a TON of those.
    BG2 bards specialize in combat and being able to use most magical items. Only the Jester and Skald are used for their songs, and even then getting an image (Mislead/Simulacrum) to sing for you is more convenient.

For the record the BG2 bard is easily the strongest out of all IE game bards, followed closely by the IWD2 version. The IWD version, in fact, is probably the weakest of the bunch in a large part because (relative to other IE games) IWD is a low-mid magic campaign.
    So a BG2 mod to "give bards their full power" doesn't exist in the way you think it does, though there are mods that try to bring them close to their PnP counterparts or re-work them to make them more classic bard-y.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    Sadly BG bards are really, really under-powered if you compare them to IWD. The biggest draw back is the lack of a good song that does something (really can you imagine a bard with only 1 song) - in BGee it just gives you a free protection from fear and a morale boost - not that great and it barely improves - there is no comparison with IWD bards.

There is of course rogue rebalancing mod that gives the bard back its song (+1 to hit and saves or something like that but its closer to pnp bard rather than IWD but still a good mod to use) and it gets better as it levels but nothing close to what the IWD bard has.

That is not to say the a bard is not a viable class to play - there are some good kits - and bard level quite fast and with access to mage spells can make a great 2nd fighter and mage - good support in any battle to have.

You could try Garrick (in BG1) and play with him to see the feel of a bard character at low levels and then Haer Dalis (in BG2) a blade.

Do you really need a bard for BG - no not really - unlike IWD where a bard is great to have and personally I never do IWD without one (someone has to record our tales of heroic adventure or misadventure) - in BG it is rather optional as there are more interesting classes/kits you might want to take with you - although a bard is still always good to bring along especially in a full party - as I said a bard makes a great support with mage spells, missile weapons and the occasional song just in case some lucky enemy mage casts dispel and the fears your party - an instant fear protection still has it uses (assuming you don't mod the bard class).
    edited May 2016
    Underpowered? A BG bard can wipe out entire groups using scrolls, wands and items like the Necklace of Missiles. He can steal from merchants so allies are always equipped with good gear. He levels faster than other classes so besides a distinct early game advantage he can also force higher level NPCs to spawn very early. He can use bows which means access to powerful enchanted arrows. Even the BG bard's song is incredibly useful for countering fear spells, which a lot of low level BG mages love using.
    The IWD bard is nowhere near that powerful. And with all that power at your fingertips adding the IWD songs is just overkill.

The only problem with BG bards is that both BG bard NPCs are poorly optimized. I've always assumed that's why they went a bit overboard in BG2 with Haer'Dalis.

Anyway, the IWD-fication mod.
    Post edited by Nuin on
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    edited May 2016
    IWDification mod

cheers )

The Ballad of Three Heroes - Available at level one, this provides all allies with +1 to hit, +1 damage, and +1 to saving throws.
    The Tale of Curran Strongheart - Available at level three, this song protects the party from fear and removes any current fear effects.
    Tymora's Melody - Available at level five, the party gains +1 luck, +3 to all saves, and +10 to lore and thieving skills.
    The Song of Kaudies - Available at level seven, this provides a 50% resistance to sound-based attacks and spells such as power words, sirine charm, silence, and others.
    The Siren's Yearning - Available at level nine, this song enthralls your foes, preventing action for five rounds on a failed save vs. spell.
    War Chant of the Sith - Available at level 11, this provides +2 AC, regeneration of two HP/round, and 10% resistance to all crushing, missile, piercing, and slashing damage.

hmmm but no pure bard available still? (companion)

guess i could use ee keeper to change Haer'Dalis or is there a worthwhile mod that adds decent chars ?
    [BG2 on hard mode]
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

War Chant of the Sith

Please tell me they didn't name it this.../facepalm

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Oh but they did.
    For the record, it was Star Wars reference #20453 in the Infinity Engine games.
    edited May 2016
    All BG2 chars are decent+, and Haer' Dalis is in fact one of the more powerful NPCs.

If you want to customize NPCs you should just use EE keeper. AFAIK, that's what a lot of people do with Imoen. A lot of people like having her around, but they don't need another M/T (there's a grand total of three of those in BG2) so they just change her class to whatever.
  • SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
    I personally can think of a few companions that would prove more beneficial to my party than a Bard.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Bards and have utilized a few as MC in runs but for NPCs, Haer' Dalis ? groan....
    Garrick? FAR too powerful! The man can virtually waltz through BG1 solo!

The problem I have with Bards as NPCs in the games is that they took an exemplary 2nd ed. class and dumbed it down. They have few of the PnP skills and traits available and rounded off to semi-thief/mage.

Well I personally would rather have a Thief or a Mage and we have a few to choose from.

With a well established front line of two mellee, my 2 Mages in a 6-party will decimate enemies. Why concern myself with half measures?

If I elect to go one melee tank and one heavy ranged, again, 2 Mages make soup of the left-overs.

And I STILL have a Thief ripping up the flanks or rear quarter and a healer sitting back and healing and/or tossing protections.

Bards? Too much effort to juggle what they might be useful for depending on the fight. With the others, I know what I want and I know what I'm getting, each and every fight.

And their songs are a joke compared to right gear / right time.

m2c
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Sharguild said:

The man can virtually waltz through BG1 solo!

• ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    edited May 2016
    Nuin said:

All BG2 chars are decent+, and Haer' Dalis is in fact one of the more powerful NPCs.

If you want to customize NPCs you should just use EE keeper. AFAIK, that's what a lot of people do with Imoen. A lot of people like having her around, but they don't need another M/T (there's a grand total of three of those in BG2) so they just change her class to whatever.

always ditch imoen asap. I cant stand her voice...shes just a whiney little twat! otherwise, could just change her to be bard.

tend to go with :smile:

jan jansen (hilarious) [am secret turnip addict, he keeps me juiced up!]

mazzy (tankage)

minsc, also funny (ranged attk)

FMT (my char)

some priest type. NOT jaheira... probably Aerie

+one other....looking at bard as explained.