Skip to content

Ennio Morricone is on (European) Tour

TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
I shall have made my desire of seeing Ennio conduct an orchestra to his scores true past this Fri, combined with an extended weekend in Paris.

However, before the Finnish press universally announced that Ennio was gracing Helsinki with a booking, I was very unaware Morricone was going on tour.

And then that one was cancelled because of back-strain. This amazing, gallant man is 87 - some of the most recent videos of him have been on chair Tina Turner style.

If uninformed about Ennio Tour. Now you are.

If unsure to go, you shall have been told.

Comments

• TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    This is one of but a few scores of Ennio that I love - but just also see how gallant, how recognizing of others' talents he is in the end of this one...

Gotta :love: Ennio - beyond his absolute musical brilliance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-rHdSWZLpQ
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    holy jumpins, I never knew he was so popular ( but I live in Canada and I bet 99.99% of people here have no idea who he is) and the only reason why I know him is because he did the musical score in the movie hamlet ( I believe that movie came out in 1994 or something) and I remember that the music in that movie was amazing, and the composer was ennio
    edited May 2016
    Oh, I do like yer style @sarevok57 - even if I tend to just hand back your soul, and leave you to hell! :-p

Status update: Palais de Congrès ...in September. The concert was cancelled (those back probs) and brought forth to September. This we learned in place, but no matter. It was a splendid weekend in Paris! Villette expo of Velvet Underground is magnificently curated - I recommend!

And observing the fashions of Paris is most enjoyable. Very narrow pant-legs is the thing right now for mod-boys-men-dads (but not quite grand-dads) of Paris. The French can easily pull off the slim fit, but I enjoyed to see it across generations. Women - always chique, but less formulaic. 70's flare unto leggings was there.

Trying again in September will be obvious, for me.

As to Ennio:

- most Spaghetti Western/ Lee van Cleef/ Clint Eastwood fans would know Ennio for the "Dollar Trilogy." A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. My absolute favourite is the sequenced glockenspiel of The Few Dollars more...

- the hipsters will know Ennio for Tarantino's latest - probably not knowing that the pop-violence golden boy wanted Ennio to compose for him always, as soon as Tarantino had the mainstream clout. Only Ennio did not think Tarantino had holistic enough take on the music. I think he relented out of generosity.

- some of us cannot get over "Once upon the West" - C'era una volta il West. Or "Huuliharppukostaja" as we Finns would cut the chase. We know something cruel shall have happened by that immortal theme - plus visual cues - and so it was.

Edit was to add "@"
    PS. BBC documentary on Antonio Conte for Euro 2016 - Italian national football team head coach - was unto Ennio's "Ecstasy of Gold." (the video posted above)

I slightly died! :love: Ennio, of course - but how very true and sharp music selection! Conte wishes nothing more - but ecstasy of Euro '16 gold.

Well though and executed BBC!

My pref though is BE, with SE, IS & HU. Then FR. Then DE. Italy - when it might attack some will up its love by me, but I am entirely not counting on it. :-p
    I want to bump this because - I dare hope - Ennio will be in Paris this weekend.

My tickets got brought fwd automatically after the cancellation in May, which took us by surprise, with no regrets on that weekend still carried out in Paris. No cancellation e-mail thus far.

If it happens, I will be overjoyed. Gotta :love: Ennio!
    God said:

Oh, the cool handed cattle denier, which I envy... But better still to try and see Ennio? :smiley:

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

I just wanted to take a moment to post what I consider to be arguably Ennio's greatest achievement in film - he takes what should've been a dumb movie (and basically still is at heart) and turns it into a genuine tear-jerker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfuzkg2RwsU
    Thx for sharing, @SharGuidesMyHand - the man in master of evocative in my view!

Having bought the program at the concert, I have to freely admit that I had no idea how extensive Morricone's career has been - I'd estimate at least 300 films listed to his credit in that booklet. For example, I've seen majority of Pasolini's films one time or another, and was not aware until now that it would have been Morricone's routinely... :blush:

I guess I sort of take scores for granted unless it's an absolute fusional love marriage between cinematography and score, like is the case with Leone's westerns, shame on me.

I have to rate Morricone as conductor as well - I loved how distinctly and airily lyrical and dramatic-unto-melo-dramatic passages alternated breathing charm into orchestrations. My only gripe was with balance of the mixing between choir and instruments, with the former being at times bit owerwhelmed.

Ennio was quite the mod-boy all in black and gallant as ever :love: - but took a seat and had a minder following him any time he came in or left the stage.

So frankly happy I saw him now, even if I obviously wish that long may he tour, and I might get to see him still in Verona once!