Skip to content

Separate save profiles for each character

JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
edited October 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Separate profiles would eliminate the tedium of managing saves for concurrent playthroughs, especially now that standalone adventures are being added. They would also prevent you from accidentally overwriting the autosaves and quicksaves of games you've put on hold - or games currently being played by other people in your household.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Any day I get to agree with something @Jalily posts is a good day.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Or make the game save names start with the charname or something to sort them?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Aosaw - <3

@reedmilfam That would be a good start, but you'd still have to scroll and scan a lot if they're all displayed in the same menu. I was thinking each character would have their own folder, and the game would automatically start you in the folder of the last character you played. You could then hit "Change Character" to go up one level; the rest of the interface would be the same.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    That would be kind of an awesome implementation, yeah. I always struggle when it gets to multiple runs, especially nowadays where my bones are getting old and I don't have nearly as much mouse momentum as I used to! (or better, I get lazy too fast for overclicking things with the mouse in the savegame menu)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @jalily, I agree that your method is better. Mine was sort of something that, if yours wasn't possible, would be a halfway measure, if that makes sense.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    The idea of having all saves displayed only for current charname, and using 'Change characters' to access to the other saves sounds awesome. It would definitely make it easier for multiple characters, and having a quicksave/quickload for each character would be great as well.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Save game filter box? Show me games where the main character is a wizard...
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    I see your point. If I understand correctly you're proposing a system similar to the one used in Mass Effect, which is a good system, I'd support the change. I wouldn't be too upset if it never got changed, but I also definitely wouldn't complain if it did.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560

Or make the game save names start with the charname or something to sort them?

Yep. This is exactly what I do now. I tend to save at the same points in the game, using the same titles, but but with the characters name or class appended to the front, eg:

"CHARNAME Pre Beregost"
    "CHARNAME Nashkel Mines"
    "CHARNAME vs the Bandit Camp"

Or

"Stalker vs Mulhahey"
    "Assassin vs Mulhahey"
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Not much needed, we can even do it manually, it's pretty easy.
  • IcecreamtubIcecreamtub Member Posts: 547
    edited December 2012
    Agreed +500, if I could agree that many times. I always wondered why BG never actually had this function to start with, since it's overly common that people do multiple play throughs at once. Or even after; Either way, whether it had or not, this, in my opinion, does need to be done. +5 for beating my memory to raise this.

Also, +1 Bump Thread? Lmao