Skip to content

Help please - installed mods no longer working with new patch (2.2)

hewashewas Member Posts: 2
Hello, long time lurker here, first time poster. (I hope this posts in the right place!)

Been playing BG since it first came out, and recently tried to install several mods - thanks to the great posts on this site I eventually suceeded at the end of April (took an age to find where Steam had installed it under Windows 10 which I had just got!), and started a game - was having great fun, it brought back the sense of discovery... then patch 2.2 came out and auto installed (via Steam). Now it seems the mods aren't working as they should - eg, when creating a new character with a mod kit, the kit name no longer appears and is replaced by "Invalid: 71226".

Likewise, in my current game, a new encounter in one of the bandit woods isn't working - some new charcaters appear, but no interaction is possible. Also the "invalid: 71449" appears when I float the cursor over my kits special abilities....

So I can assume that the new patch (2.2) had affected my installation - has anybody experienced this, and can anybody help me fix this?

Running BG EE2, with Seige of Dragonspear (not yet played!), on Windows 10, via Steam. Installed mods are several from the list maintained here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50340/bg-ee-2-0-and-siege-of-dragonspear-compatible-mods/p1

...including the "mod merge" fix...

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Updates will always break your mods.

The way I do it, I copy the installation directory to a different place on my C: drive. Then mod and play the copy. The original installation can sit there and get updated and it won't affect my current run. When that run is complete, delete the old copy, copy the new baseline over, reinstall your mods and start your new run.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • hewashewas Member Posts: 2
    Aha, many thanks to you both, I'll follow your instructions - makes sense once its been explained!
  • Dameon2Dameon2 Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2016
    hewas said:

Hello, long time lurker here, first time poster. (I hope this posts in the right place!)

Been playing BG since it first came out, and recently tried to install several mods - thanks to the great posts on this site I eventually suceeded at the end of April (took an age to find where Steam had installed it under Windows 10 which I had just got!), and started a game - was having great fun, it brought back the sense of discovery... then patch 2.2 came out and auto installed (via Steam). Now it seems the mods aren't working as they should - eg, when creating a new character with a mod kit, the kit name no longer appears and is replaced by "Invalid: 71226".

Likewise, in my current game, a new encounter in one of the bandit woods isn't working - some new charcaters appear, but no interaction is possible. Also the "invalid: 71449" appears when I float the cursor over my kits special abilities....

So I can assume that the new patch (2.2) had affected my installation - has anybody experienced this, and can anybody help me fix this?

Running BG EE2, with Seige of Dragonspear (not yet played!), on Windows 10, via Steam. Installed mods are several from the list maintained here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50340/bg-ee-2-0-and-siege-of-dragonspear-compatible-mods/p1

...including the "mod merge" fix...

Thanks for any help!

just reinstall everything after using the modmerge program if you have siege of dragonspear. updates overwrite some mod files so your best off to reinstall teh game each update clean and then just reinstall your mods, remembering what settings you used previously.

I mean sure, ideally you don't want to uninstall and reinstall mods and use your same save files. but its generally still fine. I do it all the time without any problems, i just make sure to do a clean install and reinstall all my mods fresh each game update and I've never run into any problems continuing from my previous save games.

for reference the mods I'm using are:

BG1NPC + NPC Music
    BG unfinished buisness
    BG Romantic Encounters
    CD Tweaks (only a few parts)
    BGT World Map
    NPC Portraits
    SOD Widescreen UI fixes

I don't have any of the major content mods like Stone of Askavar or Darkside of the Sword Coast ect... but from what I've heard those mods aren't particularly compatible with 2.0+ to begin with, and I've played them before anyway.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.