Skip to content

Swashbuckler/Fighter Build

So, I had to use cheap tactics to defeat Sarevok. In fact, I lost to him seven times before finally whupping him. Funny that magic missiles work on him, isn't it?

I'm a level 7 Swashbuckler, maybe level 8 by now.

19 strength
19 dexterity
17 constitution
14 intelligence
14 wisdom
10 charisma

I fully intend on switching from Swashbuckler to fighter at level 10. +3 armor class, +2 to hit/damage and 10 levels of thief skills. . .
Anyone like my plan?

Comments

• SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
    No;

But unfortunately you do not have the stats for what I would suggest, which would be Swshy dualled to Mage.
    Regardless, with the stats you present, I suggest dualling to fighter would be ill-served as well.
    Remaining as a Swashy, you;
    - can continue levelling Thief abilities
    - have a significant inherent reduction to ac as you level
    - have an inherent increase to thaco, and
    - will have access to HLAs of a Thief which of course will include "Use Any Item" should you elect to roll into BG2.
    - you probably will have other fighters in your group that are far more proficient at melee and tanking than you, make use of them for what they were intended and utilize your PC for what THEY were intended, worlds greatest Thief!!!

m2c
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I like pure Swashbuckler better, ends up with killer AC, THAC0 and damage as the kit perks keep progressing.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Swashy-fighter is a pretty common combo and works fine. I prefer Fighter->Thieves though.
    For extra cheesiness, start a fighter and dual into a Swashbuckler kit (it is possible via an EEkeeper cheat).
  • ThorgaazThorgaaz Member Posts: 46
    Why dualing him to Fighter later? The main reason for Fighter is the higher profiency from the Beginning, wearing heavy Weapon and Armor and more HP.

At your Lvl the HP-part is almost done. Profiency, ok maybe the Fighter has an small edge here, but its nothing compared to the 5 ACBonus you miss doing that. And thanks to Wear all Items you disable the Weapon/armoradvantage of the Fighter too. You even gain one, because you can wear for example pure Paladin or Barditems too.

So I cant really see the point in dualing the Swashi into Fighter, besides maybe seeking for an Fighters Highlevelability. But even so i wouldnt take the downtime and the AC loss. I mean the Thief HLAs are strong too.

Normally you turn a Fighter (or more an kit like Kensai or Wizardslayer) into a Thief but not the other way arond.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Thorgaaz said:

Why dualing him to Fighter later? The main reason for Fighter is the higher profiency from the Beginning, wearing heavy Weapon and Armor and more HP.

At your Lvl the HP-part is almost done. Profiency, ok maybe the Fighter has an small edge here, but its nothing compared to the 5 ACBonus you miss doing that. And thanks to Wear all Items you disable the Weapon/armoradvantage of the Fighter too. You even gain one, because you can wear for example pure Paladin or Barditems too.

So I cant really see the point in dualing the Swashi into Fighter, besides maybe seeking for an Fighters Highlevelability. But even so i wouldnt take the downtime and the AC loss. I mean the Thief HLAs are strong too.

Normally you turn a Fighter (or more an kit like Kensai or Wizardslayer) into a Thief but not the other way arond.

it depends on how you play your thieves, what I used to do was have a fighter hit level 7 then dual over to thief and go ranged and do all the good UAI and all that fun jazz, but then when I started doing the swashbuckler to fighter gig ( still doing the ranged combat) I noticed that my damage/ to hit, and attacks per round were better that way, and still landing the same AC even without use any item, now doing swashbuckler ranged style is not as good as they are in melee, their to hit is still kinda crappy, their damage is nice, but their attacks per round aren't as good, if you want a killer thief hybrid of some sort that is going the ranged way, then swashbuckler -> to fighter is the way to go,

the main thing for ranged combat is the to hit roll and attacks per round, even though -5 thac0 for a ranged swashbuckler looks cool, you are still going to miss big boss characters ( especially so with whirlwind's sweet to hit and damage penalties) and better yet, less attacks ( looking at 4 on average) but with a swashbuckler into fighter, im reaching -16 thac0 or so, which is enough to hit those big bosses on 2s, get to use greater whirlwind ( no penalty to hit or damage) and im pumping 5-6 attacks on average ( I never use improved haste, just normal haste)

so in the end, pure swashbucklers and fighters -> thieves, are great builds and such, the one thing they lack is to hit and attacks per round, but at the same time my thieves are doing ranged 99% of the time, and I found it best to do the swashbuckler -> fighter to be the most effective

• ThorgaazThorgaaz Member Posts: 46
    Hmm, never thought about an ranged version of the Swashb. Fighter combo due to their AC bonus and the Archer as replacement. But if you have no other Thief in party, you might have a point. I didnt think an lowlevel swashbucklerbonus makes such an big difference here, but im the last one who would stop an swashbuckler dual. (I love that kit)

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Bowbucklers.
  • SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
    Well, the OP seems have to bailed on the discussion but what I suppose I most wanted to emphasize was that there are such proficient NPC fighter types already in the game series and the thieves are all rather gimped, I was suggesting how beneficial the OP 'might' find the advantage of staying the course and running a Swashy the full series.
    Yes, sarevok57 gives valid points for a Swashy>fighter build but I also know he has played the game as many times as I've cooked eggs for breakfast.
    Since Swashy types even get 'Whirlwind' they lose little staying in type.
    Should the OP elect to pump points into traps as a Swashy (I do) he may find a play-style totally unique to the typical fighter "see bad guy = thump with stick". And since Swashys don't gain benefit to back-stab, I suggest traps are a GREAT alternative!
    Yeah, Bounty Hunter is king of traps but a Swashy with his great stats and access to HLA traps can leave a world of hurt in his wake and defend himself quite well with UAI combo'd with his unique abilities.
    ALL thief kits are great and for the most part, well balanced in their uniqueness, I personally enjoy running them to full extent to take advantage of all they are capable of. There are enough multi and duals in the game already to play with IMHO.

m2c
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Assassin -> Fighter = +1/+1 and Poison
    Swashbuckler 10 -> Fighter = +2/+2

For ranged I know which I prefer ...

Penalty on pure Swash whirlwind is -4/-4 but Swashbuckler bonuses cap at level 40 which is a total of +9/+10 which is a net penalty of +0/-1 during whirlwind. THAC0 is another equation but thief HLAs can help there ...
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I like it. You get maxed out detect illusions and bonuses in combat. I did a play through like that up to mid SoA. It was fun and worked well. Go for it!
    a few months ago I did a fresh ToB run with a half-orc swashbuckler and did pretty well, the time I got to the last boss I had around 4 copies of simulacrum and tensers transformation for my chum, which brought my dude's HP over 300, and gave him some great to hit
  • iNtuiNtu Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2016

So, I had to use cheap tactics to defeat Sarevok. In fact, I lost to him seven times before finally whupping him. Funny that magic missiles work on him, isn't it?

I'm a level 7 Swashbuckler, maybe level 8 by now.

19 strength
    19 dexterity
    17 constitution
    14 intelligence
    14 wisdom
    10 charisma

I fully intend on switching from Swashbuckler to fighter at level 10. +3 armor class, +2 to hit/damage and 10 levels of thief skills. . .
    Anyone like my plan?

About stats, well.. my one had 18/18/18/15/7/18 with a roll of 94, with the intent of having 16 INT later on, obviously with tomes - stats got better, STR, DEX are very nice for melee/ranged S/F, and I did not feel that bad even about wisdom) It makes me calm when I have minimum 10 with tomes =)

Even if I got around 90 points, then I'd dump wisdom :), INT is for mind flayers.

Switch at 11th level, DOT traps and max open locks/find traps/set traps. You can do it in SoD, so when you get to BG2 there is less work to do with your fighter levels. I switched at 15 for masochistic reasons =) getting extra kit dmg and ac, while staying with DOT traps, and having some extra thief points for detect illusion, just love doing all different stuff =) although it's a pain in the ass as for leveling... but with invisibility potion, or spell from my sorcerer, I can detect illusions, which is cool) just part of my role play :)

Then I got grand mastery in Short Bows and Long Swords, adding to my Dual x3, Single x2. Well, Single can be swapped for two-handed, then long sword grand mastery would have to be swapped to two-handed sword or halberd.

Obviously, don't put any points in both weapon proficiencies that you'd want to have grand mastery later on, while you are Swashy.
    You can put 2 points in anything that you will be using now, but I personally don't see any point in having 2 points in any additional weapon proficiency.

Quarterstaff for crushing dmg maybe? :) But then you'd definitely want to max two-handed sword/halberd and max two-handed weapon fighting.

Otherwise put 2 points in single handed, after maxing two weapon style.
    Post edited by iNtu on
    iNtu said:

I love playing swash->fighter!

First of all, most of us love powerful characters and we've all played them... but at some point you do crave something new, something different, and all those calculations of who is more powerful and omnipotent no longer satisfy.

Sometimes it's even more fun imagining stuff about the character than having top thac0s or AC etc...
    (but you do get it all with this build anyway)

You can simply think of some story in your mind, just like with Imoen starting out as a thief and then becoming a mage ... so can your hero start out as a swashbuckler, who decided to enhance his combat skills even further and learn to become a fighter/archer. Then use your brain trying to make it a good build, even if it has disadvantages in comparison to other builds and kits etc.

When you've played all kinds of classical, traditional choices - you start looking for new interesting combinations that bring satisfaction in other ways.

The first time I created my Swash->Fighter, I was looking for an Archer(Ranger) equivalent, who could challenge Archer through versatility, gaining some of that extra damage and bow grand mastery while being more effective in close combat (by having extra AC and melee grand mastery), when such situations arise. Additionally, I got thief skills that enriched game play and made it more solo efficient.

So when you talk about all your HLA's, pure Swashbucklers etc. is there any point to it? So what if it's better?I mean, is a pure Archer 'better' than some OP kits? Is a pure Cleric stronger than Fighter(or Berserker)/Cleric? Why do people play Kensai/Druid or Shapeshifter? Shapeshifting sucks, but people enjoy it nonetheless.

I've played Swash>Fighter throughout BG, SoD, IWD, SoA, ToB

I've had enormous fun with traps, bows and different types of arrows, simply using arrows +x is no fun, when I would get bored with one game style, I would switch to dual wield (I've picked long swords for their abilities), and even single weapon style for crit chance increase, just to have all kinds of fun. (or you could just go with 2HW)

It's not all about HLA, don't you get bored of same old stuff? How many times do you have to constantly play with F/M/T, Kensai->Mage? C/M? F/D? Berserker->C? etc.

People make characters like dart assassins or axe wielders just for certain feelings.

To finalize this, S->F is not only fun on his own for solo, but he can play few roles in your party.

- Want a good archer that can stand his own ground in close combat? Assign this task to S/F and put him at the back.
    -Want a semi-tank with good melee DPS? Assign him to 2nd-4th spot in party.
    -Locks? Traps? Illusions? Job done!

Who do you need then in your party then? Tank, divine, arcane? All other roles can be taken by Swash>Fighter.

My last play through BG, SoD, IWD, SoA, ToB was with a Dragon Disciple as a power seeking evil sorcerer who had a personal Blackguard bodyguard, solo champion of Black Pits with two-handed sword, and a kind of right-hand mercenary, who would do all different jobs for him, obviously the Swash/Fighter.

The omnipotent evil sorcerer would pick locations or challenges to uncover new powerful knowledge, treasures etc. He would let his S/F do all the work, while standing in wait, somewhere in the area, guarded by the Black Pits champion Blackguard.

Swash/Fighter with boots of haste would disarm all traps, unlock all doors and chests, kill all 'lesser threats' with traps, a bow or two swords, eliminate packs with detonation arrows, sometimes using biting and dispelling arrows etc etc, collect loot and put it in his bags for potions, scrolls, gems, and equipment, he would represent the sorcerer in all kinds of communication, since he is also a very charismatic 'right hand'.

Only in cases of right hand's failure to overcome certain threats, would he then seek help and bring the enemy to his master. Not even then would the sorcerer lift his finger. The Blackguard would cut down everything into pieces, rip all to shreds.

Yet sometimes, when both of sorcerer's lackeys would disappoint their master in an inability to deal with a certain threat, would he then step in himself, pushing both of them aside (they do not take part in the battle they were failing). Then he demonstratively obliterates the enemy by himself in a gruesome way.

(Oh, it is so much more fun and pleasure when you're doing most of the hard work with your S/F, and rarely on occasion you annihilate everything with a sorcerer, it just gives that extra feeling of immense power, that you do not feel when playing a mage constantly. It's like, if you live by the beach - it's not so exciting and special, unlike when you once or twice a year go on a vacation by the beach.)

Obviously in BG its only Sorcerer and Swashy, the beginning of power seeking. Sorcerer is taking active part in all the fights with Swashy until the completion of BG. Sorcerer learns of Black Pits champion from Baeloth (maybe he was even spectating in the arena, whatever), but he can not acquire champion's services atm, he is not yet powerful and rich enough :) (made up for the reasons of lvl 9 Blackguard after Pits is not what I want from the beginning of BG :) )

Then they proceed to SoD with a hired blackguard. After that to IWD. In SoA, after spending some time with a Blackguard champion, Swashy decides to learn from him)
    Sorcerer is not too happy about this additional burden, although he understands that it is for the best in the long run, so he has to acquire temporary services of a local thief. Swashy would have to pay out from his own pockets for this.
    Swashy learns fighting skills (dual swords or two-handed, your pick) from sparring with Blackguard and/or continues to practice bow skills (he did have a lot of experience in using bows throughout BG1).

Well, that's about it! :) If someone got this far and read it all, thank you for your time and sorry for your eyes =)

ah, I love huge comments like this, tons of great info and excitement of the poster can be found in them, but if you think this is a big post, you should see the whopper I did on this discussion:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/58869/power-gaming-still-viable#latest

:)
    Wow, that's a big one, but I've read it through :) I'm glad that we share the love for the Swash/Fighter ^_^

Actually, I love reverse kits in general, maybe because I've played this game so much, I seek new excitements, also playing pure classes too.

I also have great fun with shadowdancer>fighter, druid>fighter for wolves, bears etc, or werewolf>fighter for thac0, plus thac0 items and even gauntlets of crushing and we have a decent werewolf =) unlike pure shapeshifter class.

gauntlets of crushing, most interesting, helps to make up for the fact that the shapeshifter kind of got dumped on in the EEs, back in the vanilla days I would shapeshift to level 13 then dual over to fighter using quarterstaves, and then use staff of the woodlands, with a decent +4 weapon, HUGE AC, and some great to hit/ damage, plus tons of immunities and some great APR, it was one of my favourite dual class combos back in the day,

but now I would have to say that the swash->fighter class would have to be my new favourite dual class
    edited June 2016
    You know, Shadowdancer->Fighter hide in plain sight, backstab, hide, backstab... is also fun) and also without ever pausing, has different dynamics.