Skip to content

Power Gaming - still viable?

2»

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited June 2016

Icewind Dale EE just doesn't seem to be as popular with the "dps" crowd as I'd imagine it would be, is all....

That's because the very simplistic AI makes combat trivial, even on HoW mode. As there is no SCS-equivalent for IWD, most ambitious players (me included) very quickly lost interest.

Yes you have more enemies etc., but they're still dumber than a slice of bread. Plus there's WAY less emphasis on spellcasting than in BG2, which makes already easy fights even more trivial because hardly anything happens other than I-whack-the-first-thing-I-see-forever.
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    @Lord_Tansheron Thank you for forming a coherent rebuttal without being argumentative. Your explanation makes complete sense to me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592

the focus is more on combat than story,

I actually disagree with this. IMO IWD tells a great story. The difference is, your character is very far from civilization and your movement is constricted. So it is a more claustrophobic story; but still a very good one.

By contrast, SoA is pretty crappy when it comes to story - a huge chunk of the game (chapter 2) consists of random disconnected vignettes which are very uneven and, taken on their own, pretty pathetic.
    This, and the fact that, at the end of every quest you can ask your quest giver whether he knows of Irenicus or the Cowled Wizards and the answer is always "Sorry I cannot help you with this." which in the end forces you to choose a camp between Shadow Thieves and Bodhi's Guild, while it would have been interesting to get the possibility, through you gleaned here and there, to make something of your own.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    @sarevok57 I just read your entire post o.O That's more than a boat load of information, it's like an aircraft carrier!