Skip to content

Pathfinding and melee characters hugging it out in the middle of battle

dibdib Member Posts: 384
In my current party I have 3 melee guys who all, as expected will run up to the closest enemy, but practically every single time only the guy who's first will start hitting the target while the other two are awkwardly stuck in the first guy, completely unable to just take one step to the side to walk past him.

It's really frustrating to manually have to tell these guys exactly where to go in every single fight, especially when fighting trash mobs like kobolds or whatever. I only use the AI in those fights for the specific reason that I don't want to bother with them. For the tougher fights I turn the AI off and micromanage more.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Comments

• NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2016
    They changed pathfinding on version 2.0.

In theory this was done so that when travelling a dungeon your characters won't go through different paths since each time they bumped into someone, they tried finding an alternate path, which on dungeons lead them into traps an such.

However this seem to have backfired since now when they target a mob, they don't find alternate paths around other mobs on the area and thus they stay behind the character they first bumped into.

They should fix this, but either way there will be problems.

In my opinion, the previous behaviour was less annoying since you get into more encounters than dungeons (at least on BGEE).

Maybe a solution will be that once they are targetting something, they should use the old behaviour and when just traveling they should use the new one. That will still cause problems here and there, but I think is probably the best solution.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    edited December 2016
    Perhaps using different methods of pathfinding depending on whether the player is in combat or not could be a solution.
    Post edited by dib on