Skip to content

The next DnD game does not always have to be set in Faerun on Toril.

KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
edited June 2016 in Off-Topic
Consider the fact that Toril is actually pretty underdeveloped which was the curse of Greyhawk as well...because "reasons"...(well the passage of time honestly, and new generations of players).

You have the lands like Maztica, Zakhara, Kara-Tur...and the many unknown lands. There definitely needs to be some kind of shake-up in the video DnD game industry since Faerun for the most part is pretty developed as it is now.

Only the Neverwinter Community briefly touched upon the foreign lands with their mods...but there was not many of them who did.
JuliusBorisovbrussparkleavAndrewFoley

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited June 2016
    I would rather leave that world all together and have a Dark Sun game.

Otherwise a Kara-Tur adventure would be good if they used full Oriental Adventures rules and classes, updated to 5th edition, as they would be required to do.

If we are talking about BG3, I would like to see the Moonshaes as a major location. Then you could get heavy celtic atmosphere making it feel exotic, whilst still being easily reachable by ship from Baldur's Gate. I don't think the Moonshaes have ever been visited in a crpg, although I vaguely remember a "celtic" crpg a long time ago - Albion I think it was called, and actually developed in France.

It would give the development team the excuse to go on holiday in Ireland or Cornwall, for "research"!
    VallmyrJuliusBorisovShadowdemon
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    I wouldn't mind another expansion like Mask of the Betrayer where you go from Rashemen, to Thay, to the shadow plane, to the astral plane, and to other cool locations. Like maybe have a main hub, possibly Neverwinter, Baldur's Gate, or Waterdeep, and then travel to different places around the world. Maybe have each chapter take place in a different land. Pick up a samurai from Kara-tur, a Red Wizard from Thay, an Oath of the Ancients Paladin (Green Knight) from Moonshae, etc.
    JuliusBorisovbatoor
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    edited June 2016
    Waterdeep has to be the most underused adventure ever. Only HOTU briefly gave you something, but it was nothing to really look at. Baldur's Gate is a impressive city, but Waterdeep is practically cool in it's own way.

My main concern honestly is that I would hate to see Toril just fade off like Greyhawk did. Also I would love to see something with a Dark Sun setting because they have very interesting desert world. I know we have games like this already, but not in a DnD-Setting video game yet. I really believe DnD developers needs to take advantage of the new console, and computer generation because I can definitely see DnD making a big comeback if done right.

I think about what Elder Scrolls did, and now we got to see the whole world instead of one game at a time.
    JuliusBorisov
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Nobody is actually playing ESO, though.
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    scriver said:

Nobody is actually playing ESO, though.

I've read the rumors...is it really getting that bad now? Even the PS4 server?
    edited June 2016
    Waterdeep features pretty prominently in the "Lords of Waterdeep" boardgame. I have it on my iPhone.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Kaliesto - I don't know, actually :P

I'm just speaking from my dislike of the game up there.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited June 2016
    My argument is that fictional place is not important at all. IMO, important are story, athmosphere, conflict, characters, culture and connections betweeen these.
    When all combined works well, fictional world is considered well designed. Also, conflict should be an excuse for the gameplay and not vice versa.

The story should be wrapped in mystery which player slowly unwrapps toward the twist. PC is tapping in the darkness and follows plot crumbles. Then suddenly everything is seen in different and enlightnened way. In BG2 this would be an equivalent when Joshimo betrays PC but also the reveal of something elusive which changes player's perspective. The end should have some punch line answering questions and maybe something left out for players to interprete and clarify for themselves (*cough* Dark souls *cough*).
    The line of thought as famous What can Change the Nature of a Man? could be known at the beginning or not.

What about exploring other genres such as steampunk, weird sci-fi(Arcanum, Tides of Numenera) in Forgotten realms? Altough mixing technology and fantasy means more complex lore and gameplay design.
    BG2 includes some steampunk elements, as well as some stuff from Spelljammer. And there is the Paner Sphere, with it's characters from Dragonlance.
    brus