Skip to content

Confused on what's happened. Any help would be appreciated!

RythDarkbaneRythDarkbane Member Posts: 12
edited June 2016 in Troubleshooting
Hello all,

I am new to posting to the forums, but I am a longtime reader of topics. It is thanks to a lot of people on these forums and their ideas that I have had lots of fun going through many playthroughs of Baldur's Gate. I played this game back during 1.3 and earlier before that. I saw that they ended up adding achievements to the games and made an expansion so I thought I'd go for another playthrough or two for some nostalgia.

I am having serious issues with figuring out what has happened to my game so far. I have no mods installed (they exist on the computer), but the items in the inventory of my party and sometimes even the dialogue is all messed up.

Example #1: From looking at the color of the dagger in my inventory I'm pretty sure it is a dagger +1. However, instead it has no name but a dialogue box describing a Beamdog joke and no description of what the dagger actually is or does.

Example #2: I attempted to move through the region south of Beregost (I forget the name) and ran into the normal things that you would find on the road. Randomly, the dialogue that should have been happening changed to something absolutely random that made no sense whatsoever. It was voiced dialogue, too. It sounded like something that should have been happening in Baldur's Gate, not in the middle of nowhere.

I have no idea what to even try to fix these issues or what could be causing them. Most magic items have dialogue in front of their pictures with random stories like a dialogue box in front of them. When inspected they have no name and a continuation of the story that was previously in front of the picture. I have no idea what items are what or what their stats are. I can't even enjoy the lore of the game because NPC's are not even saying what they're supposed to half the time as well. If anyone has any idea of what I could do to help bring this old masterpiece back to life, it would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Well, that definitely sounds like something not working properly. My first thought is that somehow the dialog.tlk file got messed up. I've seen mods do that before, but you said you aren't running any, so I'm not sure how it would've happened. Have you tried just reinstalling the game? I realize that's not ideal, but I can't think of anything more likely to work.
  • RythDarkbaneRythDarkbane Member Posts: 12
    I haven't tried reinstalling the game yet. I uninstalled all the mods and reinstalled the game when I bought the expansion just because I wanted to be 100% sure I removed them all as I figured they would disable being able to get the achievements. I suppose I could give it a try and see what happens if there are no more options available. It's possible it didn't install right.

Maybe I should just fully remove all the mods from my computer and delete all local content before reinstalling it the 2nd time to see if that helps as well. I'll give it a try if no one else has any ideas.
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    Check your override directory, if it is not empty then you didn't clear all mods before installing the updated version. I would suggest to uninstall then look at the game folder and delete all remaining content manually. Then do a full install.
    I'll try giving it a full reinstall and seeing what happens. I fully cleaned out the folder, there were some things that were still in the override so they must not have gotten removed. My internet still acts like it's from the stone age so I will have to redownload the entire game from Steam again unfortunately. I'll see if it works again tomorrow.
    That indeed fixed the issue for now. Thanks for the advice!
    No probs... glad it fixed it :)
    Having a new issue. Can't get the Cloakwood Mines to appear on the map in Chapter 4.

Exiting to the east of the Wyvern's Den on the 4th Cloakwood map is not triggering it to appear. I have both items from the Bandit's Camp chest in my inventory (and have read them) and Faldorn and the Archdruid both telling me where it is in my journal logs.

I've played 10+ characters through this point of the game and have never had this issue before. It's possible I just forgot something since I haven't played in a year or two.
    It should be there... if you are just outside the Wyvern's Den then heading directly east should trigger the Mine to appear...
    It won't appear no matter where I exit on the east part of the map. Guess I'm going to have to start over or console command it at this point.
    I wouldn't start over... try uploading a save and I'll take a look at it...
    I've never uploaded to mediafire before so I apologize if I missed something.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/h3kmtt72x17pk/000000136-Give_up
    You can attach files here... but that'll do :)

Let's take a look.
    OK - not working for me either :(

I'd suggest to console yourself to AR1800 using...

C:MoveToArea("AR1800")

I just tried it and it immediately triggers the cloakwood mine notification - I can then travel back and forth without issue.
    Could you upload the file after you console commanded it to the next location? I'm having trouble editing the .lua to get it running.
    Sure thing...
    Thank you again for all your help.
    No worries - hope that works ok... let me know if any other problems!
    @RythDarkbane I hope all is ok now? :)
    Yes, you were able to fix my issues. Thank you so much!

Having some trouble on Dragonspear (just achievements, not the content) so going to make a thread on those forums.