Skip to content

dual classing TO a fighter

mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
It's pretty standard to dual class from a fighter to a mage/cleric/thief/druid for the HP and THAC0 bonuses, but has anyone ever dual-classed from a one of those to a fighter (or cleric to ranger)? any creative advantages? as a mage, would level dependent spells (i.e. magic missile) increase with fighter levels? would you be able to attain grand mastery with your fighter levels?

i could see a swashbuckler/fighter or a totemic druid/fighter or a priest of lathandar/ranger?

also how does dual classing/multi-classing affect strongholds in BG2?

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Well, the thing is that the other classes have more significant changes than fighter - later in the game you might probably miss having higher level spells, or a greater backstab multiplier.

If you dual class at very low levels (In case of BG1), I believe you could , by dualing, see yourself as a "fighter with a special ability" - who can hide in shadows , or cast identify , or has low divine spells and follows a specific God... from a roleplaying point of view it's fun .

By the way, your spells will be stuck at the level you dualed.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    and no kit for the fighter class...
  • XanthulXanthul Member Posts: 57
    And lower HP than a straight fighter
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited October 2012
    And no percentile strength.

Admittedly this won't matter if/when you get 19 STR but it will suck a bit beforehand.

Your first class will not progress in any way shape or form once you duel to fighter. And yes you would be able to take Grand Mastery as a Fighter. A few levels of Cleric would work best IMO if this was an option you would want to take.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    @mjs :

Why would you do this ?

You earn the most important number of HP during the 1-9 levels ...

Imagine (for instance) your mage/fighter or thief/fighter with a ridiculous life pool ...
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    As has been pointed out, the fighter class is generally regarded to get most of its strengths early on, making it a class better suited to dualing from rather than to, as opposed to classes like mage that is weak in the beginning and really comes into its own in the later game.

As for strongholds, in an unmodded game you can't have more than one. If you multi or dual class you will iirc get offered strongholds for all/both of your classes, and when you accept/finish one you can no longer get the other(s). This can be easily tweaked to suit your preferences through mods though.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I don't know about you people but I could live with a level 5 mage dualled to fighter... You get some nice perks from it, like shield, mirror images, blur, haste, protection from normal missiles... Essentially, by the end of Throne of Bhaal, you'll still be much much more powerful than other straight warriors, like Mazzy, Minsc or
    Sarevok.

I don't know about you people but I could live with a level 5 mage dualled to fighter... You get some nice perks from it, like shield, mirror images, blur, haste, protection from normal missiles... Essentially, by the end of Throne of Bhaal, you'll still be much much more powerful than other straight warriors, like Mazzy, Minsc or

Sarevok.
    But they'll all last very little!
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    ... and that you loose 16 x 5 pv with 18 CON (not to mention your HP with buff stats books & effects)
    That's why I suggest doing it only for the special skills your first class might have.

A thief 3 dualed to fighter with 70% hide in shadows , or a priest of helm 2 dualed to fighter that can cast seeking sword and true sight. These are skills that you will *always* use, and it won't affect your fighter progress .
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    this post wasn't necessarily about making feasibly power gaming chars, but just taking alternative angles at dual-classing

for example, with the totemic druid/fighter (7/8) : you get 7d8+2d10 HP (or 76 not too shabby) up to level 4 spells, 2 spirit animals per day (immune to normal and +1 weapons), 9 pips and 1.5 attacks per round, not including grand mastery bonuses. that's not awful. and if you wait to BG 2 to dual class at level 9, you level 5 iron skins (the druid version of stoneskin)

lathander cleric/fighter (6/8): you get 6d8 + 2d10 HP (68) up to level 3 spells, 1x hold undead per day, 1x boon of lathander per day (+1 to hit, +1 to damage +1 attack per round for 36 seconds), 9 pips and 1.5 attacks per round, not including grand mastery bonuses.

• RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Glad to encounter this idea. I might use it: swashbuckler / fighter. With 5 levels swashbuckler, get +2 AC, +2 attack (which brings you to the same THAC0 as you would have as a fighter anyhow), +2 to all damage rolls, and you likely have enough thief points to max out a couple thief skills. I'd go with detect illusion and find/remove traps because I'd be able to use them with armor, I could solo ahead through dungeons with someone who could fight on his own, and I could counter illusions without having to rely on mage support.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

Sarevok.
    That's part of the benefit inherent to the dual class system and applies to basically any dual class combo compared to the single class dualled to. The farther into the game you get, the more negligible the exp invested in the first class becomes.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited October 2012
    As @DJKajuru said, it would be totally cool from a role-play perspective. Hmm, I shall have to try it for fun.
  • lockmundlockmund Member Posts: 354
    a mage that only goes to level 2 have these perks and cons:

- A tougher start.
    - Uncertain if the can get grand mastery this way
    - Needs to put at least 15 points on intelligence.
    - Can't start out with 18/xx in strength.
    - Around 9 hp less from rolls, more with a high constitution.
    + 12 hp from most familiars, 24 later in the game.
    + Can cast scrolls while in armor.
    + Good xp from learning new spells.
    + 2-3 identify or friend spells if you remove your armor.
    + Ability to use mage-staffs and amulet of power.
    + A very healthy intelligence when it comes to the mindflayers.

It looks to me like it is worth it, but this works better on clerics as the contingency and triggers (cast from scrolls) have good recipients, for example sanctuary when helpless.
  • Dux89Dux89 Member Posts: 47
    Bounty Hunter and Swashbuckler to Fighter seem pretty good. Thieves are highly useful for the abilities they get right off the bat, and then again all the way down the road in Throne of Bhaal, but nobody needs a 13th level thief.
  • FigrutFigrut Member Posts: 109
    BGII Shapeshifter Druid Kit -> Fighter had always served me just fine. The game would determine the level of Druid I would go to.