Skip to content

My Main Complaint of the Beamdog Content for BG2

2»

Comments

• gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    @Baptor Maybe we should get a ticket in Redmine going to restore the higher quality sound files? Failing that though perhaps someone could mod it in. I bet Beamdog would restore it though. They seem pretty reasonable and seeing as this was only done to BGII, I bet it was unintentional and no one noticed on their end.
    mf2112Baptor
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341

@Baptor Maybe we should get a ticket in Redmine going to restore the higher quality sound files? Failing that though perhaps someone could mod it in. I bet Beamdog would restore it though. They seem pretty reasonable and seeing as this was only done to BGII, I bet it was unintentional and no one noticed on their end.

I hope you are right. I have no idea how to submit tickets to Redmine. Is this something you can do? :(
    Baptor said:

I hope you are right. I have no idea how to submit tickets to Redmine. Is this something you can do? :(
    Yeah I'll go get one made so they can look into it.
    Baptor
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Weird that only some people have this problem.

Yeah it is, but the issue could a number of things. Maybe most people just don't notice it. Maybe it has to do with the sound system the people are playing on. Maybe it's the computer build. Did you have any problems with it?
    No I haven't, I wonder some random combination of drivers is causing it? Maybe an instalation error? A bug? It just seems so random.
    Redmine ticket submitted.
    BaptorArdulAedan

Redmine ticket submitted.

You sir, are my hero of today. :)

Weird that only some people have this problem.

Yeah it is, but the issue could a number of things. Maybe most people just don't notice it. Maybe it has to do with the sound system the people are playing on. Maybe it's the computer build. Did you have any problems with it?
    No I haven't, I wonder some random combination of drivers is causing it? Maybe an instalation error? A bug? It just seems so random.
    Except that it isn't random, really. argent77 proved that they changed out high quality sound files in an early patch to lower quality ones. Maybe some people can't notice it or perhaps some people have sound cards capable of compensating for it but it's definitely something tangible that they did that is causing some of us to hear terrible audio on the new content. For me, the difference is very noticeable and makes BG2EE unplayable. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. I keep trying to ignore it but I can't.

gugulug5000ThacoBell
    Bump. I want to keep this issue fresh. I simply can't abide the grating noise of the soundsets. I've tried to just stay away from the new content but some of it is really in your face and impossible to avoid. Been monitoring the redmine ticket - no action or comment so far. It's not been added to the list of things to be fixed next patch either. :(
    agrissmeagolheartgugulug5000
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    That's really bad. The aural depth (24 kHz @ mono) is equivalent to the stereo 48 kHz, so that's a fine move, but to lower encoding bit depth to 24 kbps is atrocious.
    Baptorgugulug5000
    agris said:

That's really bad. The aural depth (24 kHz @ mono) is equivalent to the stereo 48 kHz, so that's a fine move, but to lower encoding bit depth to 24 kbps is atrocious.

I am glad people are saying things like this. Hopefully a blue will see it and we will see real change!
    Baptor said:

I am glad people are saying things like this. Hopefully a blue will see it and we will see real change!

Honestly, I think they're just busy with whatever project they were planning on announcing a little while ago. I've heard it said that this current patch they're working on will remain in testing for some time before being pushed out, but it's been months now. My guess is their priorities shifted, but I could definitely see it as an issue that they actually would address relatively quickly once they get around to the next batch of bug fixes.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Thank you argent77, hopefully the next patch officially addresses the issue. But until BD replaces the sound files your mod is a must have fix.
    gugulug5000BaptorJuliusBorisov
    argent77 said:

I've made a simple mod that restores the original sound quality for BG2EE's extended content from before game patch v1.3, which includes voice files for EE NPCs and related characters as well as for the Black Pits II campaign (and probably more).
    A total amount of 7659 sound files will be restored. Later game patches added another 9 sound clips (mainly for Rasaad) which are still in low quality though.

Download link in this topic: [MOD] Restore HQ Sound Clips for BG2EE Extended Content

Sir...I cannot....begin to thank you enough. I know this probably took you a great deal of time. Sir I am eternally grateful. A pearl to you.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Garvin77Garvin77 Member Posts: 52
    It seems as though most people have this problem in BG2EE, but I'm experiencing it in BG*1*EE. I will let @argent77 know of this in his mod thread, but I want to make sure Beamdog sees this, which is why I'm commenting in this thread too.
    Baptor said:

[. . .] A pearl to you.

I'm sure he'd rather have one of the garnets I've been finding; they're worth more (or should be, anyway).
  • MillisarMillisar Member Posts: 4
    In my case I notice bad quality not only in EE characters, but in all of them. Since the first lines in the game I start feeling bad already.